PDA

View Full Version : Sound of 7.92mm machine guns

Bear Pilot
Dec-05-2013, 15:16
Hi all

I was just wondering what everyone thinks of the machine gun sounds in the Axis aircraft. I realize the fixed MG 17 of the Bf109, 110, and Stuka are different than the hand operated MG 15 in the German bombers. Although, as best I can tell, the sound is pretty close to identical in the game.

To me when I pull the trigger it just sounds, well, weak. I personally have never sat in the cockpit of a 109 or any other German WWII fighter much less fired any machine guns from the cockpit but I just can't help but feel the sound we get now isn't right. I could very easily be wrong. So if I am, please don't be shy.

I raise this point because I remember very vividly the first time I fired the .303's in a Spitfire in TF 3.0. If I remember correctly, and I assure you I do, my exact words were "Holy s#&%!!!!!" Anyone who has played both vanilla CloD and the TF mods/patches knows what I meant. To me, and I would bet at least a handful of others, the difference between the two is significant and makes a difference in immersion.

So I wonder if this is TF is considering or has thought of? By no means is this an 'I want this give it to me now' post. I'm just genuinely curious if this is on TF's radar and if anyone else feels this way?

Just throwing it out there.

Wulf
Dec-05-2013, 16:04
I've wondered about this as well. Like you I've never had an opportunity to listen to twin MG 17s letting rip so it's difficult to know but to me, the current sound does seem a bit insipid.

However, as you're probably well aware, the MG 17, like the Vickers 'K' gun, was specifically designed for use in aircraft and had a very high (1200rpm) cyclic rate. Whether a pair of MGs pouring out about 2500 rpm between them would sound the way they do in the game I really wouldn't know. It's a bit like a mini gun I guess which to me sounds very un-MG like.

trademe900
Dec-05-2013, 18:35
http://youtu.be/05ccSXlwOBo

It would be cool if it was possible to take the sound directly from this clip and put it into the game. Sounds very good.

Bear Pilot
Dec-05-2013, 18:41
http://youtu.be/05ccSXlwOBo

It would be cool if it was possible to take the sound directly from this clip and put it into the game. Sounds very good.

Ah! There it is! I was looking for that video. I know there are a lot of acoustic variables missing but at least we can hear what an MG 15 sounds like under normal conditions.

That really would be cool!

92 Cdt. Kiwikillemoff (QJ-Z)
Dec-05-2013, 20:32
Yeah would be nice to spruce up the sound a little.

See clip below. Most of the sounds bites are rubbish. But the scene a 1.31 till whn the guy get raspberry jammed sound pretty authentic to me. Maybe the scene was recorded on a sound stage? Definitely sounds similar to the clip posted above

http://youtu.be/HHx3lWQjNWM

Kiwi

TheVino3
Dec-05-2013, 20:58
The sounds are being overhauled :thumbsup:

Bear Pilot
Dec-05-2013, 22:05
:cheers::salute:

zionid
Dec-08-2013, 22:51
Bear in mind that the youtube clips of guns are of guns being fired on fields, producing a very distinct echo/reverb effect. A guns sounds completely different depending on the
environment in which it is fired.

Movies and games have done a horrible job at reproducing believable sounds depending on this, so we often expect things to have more 'smack'.

Being no expert, I'm pretty sure that those exact guns would sound totally different inside the cockpit/on the outside of a moving aircraft.
Reverb is basically gone (Except when on the ground), you have the sounds overlapped (by 2 MG's) and then you have the engines etc...

I personally can't stand the sound of the current 303's. Nevertheless everyone keeps telling me the sound is spot on and well, it grew on me.

trademe900
Dec-09-2013, 00:05
Bear in mind that the youtube clips of guns are of guns being fired on fields, producing a very distinct echo/reverb effect. A guns sounds completely different depending on the

Movies and games have done a horrible job at reproducing believable sounds depending on this, so we often expect things to have more 'smack'.

Being no expert, I'm pretty sure that those exact guns would sound totally different inside the cockpit/on the outside of a moving aircraft.
Reverb is basically gone (Except when on the ground), you have the sounds overlapped (by 2 MG's) and then you have the engines etc...

I personally can't stand the sound of the current 303's. Nevertheless everyone keeps telling me the sound is spot on and well, it grew on me.

Yes, quite so- no reverb when up high in the air inside the cockpit. Big effect on the sound heard.

Bear Pilot
Dec-09-2013, 01:49

I agree, there are many factors that play into it and the fact of the matter is, we may never know what the real thing sounded like. I'm sure there's quite a bit of red tape to cut through to load up a 109 with and take her up to squeeze off a few rounds and record it. Or any old fighter for that matter.

In my opinion the sound of the guns doesn't have to be as accurate as something like a Flight Model because sound is more of a judgement issue. It isn't something we have data or charts on as far as I know. Asking old war vets may get you a general idea but I bet you'd get a slightly different description from every pilot and still if you put them together they'd agree on what the guns sounded like even though the details don't necessarily line up.

Regarding the .303's, I see where you're coming from. I'm sure the real thing was a little different, however, I happen to believe the current .303's to be one of the most accurate sound recreations in the game. In one thread (it's late and I'm too tired to find it) someone wrote of an old armourer from the war who described the 8 Browning battery like the tearing of burlap. Keeping that in mind and the fact that the current sound comes from a recording of a WWII era Browning .303 repeated 8 times, I think it is very, very close.

In my opinion, for immersion's sake, the sound of the guns doesn't have to be dead on accurate. Just believable.

TF has said the sounds are being worked on and with their proven work and dedication to improve the aforementioned .303's as well as the sim as a whole, I'm sure the 7.92's will be greatly enhanced from a sound perspective when they are finished with it.

chris455
Dec-14-2013, 13:04
"In my opinion, for immersion's sake, the sound of the guns doesn't have to be dead on accurate. Just believable. "
:thumbsup:
Right now, they are neither. Especially the .303s. Lets hope these get treatment in an upcoming patch.Thanks in advance TF!

Kling
Dec-14-2013, 13:21
"In my opinion, for immersion's sake, the sound of the guns doesn't have to be dead on accurate. Just believable. "
:thumbsup:
Right now, they are neither. Especially the .303s. Lets hope these get treatment in an upcoming patch.Thanks in advance TF!
The 303s sounds were taken from a real 303 spitfire gun dug up from the ground from a crashed Spitfire if Im not wrong?!?!

Bear Pilot
Dec-14-2013, 14:06
Regarding the .303's, I see where you're coming from. I'm sure the real thing was a little different, however, I happen to believe the current .303's to be one of the most accurate sound recreations in the game. In one thread (it's late and I'm too tired to find it) someone wrote of an old armourer from the war who described the 8 Browning battery like the tearing of burlap. Keeping that in mind and the fact that the current sound comes from a recording of a WWII era Browning .303 repeated 8 times, I think it is very, very close.

I guess he missed that part?

chris455
Dec-15-2013, 13:42
I guess he missed that part?
To me they sound like a midget with a bad case of gas. I also wish they kept the smoke trails. But that's just my opinion. Everyone has their paradigm, I guess. :)