PDA

View Full Version : Mission ending time...

9./JG52 Jamz Dackel
Dec-07-2013, 09:06
Can we have some sort of Mission ending timer on screen please.. say 10-15 mins after targets have been destroyed

I've lost count how many times I've lifted, got altitude and then I get a mission ending message..

Something easy to do I hope?

ATAG_Bliss
Dec-07-2013, 09:11
Can we have some sort of Mission ending timer on screen please.. say 10-15 mins after targets have been destroyed

I've lost count how many times I've lifted, got altitude and then I get a mission ending message..

Something easy to do I hope?

just type "<tl" or "<timeleft" without the quotes and the server should tell you how much time is left in the mission.

9./JG52 Jamz Dackel
Dec-07-2013, 09:20
just type "<tl" or "<timeleft" without the quotes and the server should tell you how much time is left in the mission.

I know this m8..

say 10-15 mins after targets have been destroyed

But Im on about once the mission objectives are complete, could we have a timer for mission end after that, gives us time to RTB or if you have joined not to bother taking off etc

ATAG_Bliss
Dec-07-2013, 09:23
I know this m8..

But Im on about once the mission objectives are complete, could we have a timer for mission end after that, gives us time to RTB or if you have joined not to bother taking off etc

Oh I see. Well you must have the worst luck ever :D

Once the mission's objectives are complete (at least on my missions) the server will restart in 2 minutes. And it says this on the screen "Server restarting in x amount of time", then "Server restarting in 1 minute" , then "Server has been restarted. Please wait 2 minutes to join" directly after Red or Blue has won by all the objectives.

If this isn't in place in the other missions, then I don't know about it. Is that what you are asking?

Edit: Or are you looking for the ending to be a longer time limit?

9./JG52 Jamz Dackel
Dec-07-2013, 10:45
Edit: Or are you looking for the ending to be a longer time limit?

This...

So once the mission objectives are complete you get say 10mins before end of map? and its on screen, maybe not permanently? every 2 mins it flashes up for instance..

Yes there are ways to find out by finding out what's been destroyed, take a guess how long it will be before various targets are hit etc but would make a nice addition to have it to hand so we choose to not fly, rtb or whatever as we only have 10 mins left :thumbsup:

SoW Reddog
Dec-07-2013, 11:34
What's the point? The 2 minutes to the restart are bad enough, I usually spend it trying to avoid some last ditch attempt to gain a kill before the disconnect. Why extend it?

Kling
Dec-07-2013, 11:53
What's the point? The 2 minutes to the restart are bad enough, I usually spend it trying to avoid some last ditch attempt to gain a kill before the disconnect. Why extend it?

Well it would be good to use these 10 mins to rtb...if there actually was a point in rtb:ing :)

9./JG52 Jamz Dackel
Dec-07-2013, 11:54

I've already stated why I would like it m8..

Stig1207
Dec-10-2013, 07:20
I agree with Fritzi, it would be nice to have a chance of RTB'ing when the mission ends. Landing after a sortie is part of the immersion for me, besides I need the practice:D

9./JG52 Ziegler
Dec-10-2013, 08:08

LOL, yeah it can get extra crazy. The other day while in jabos, a squad member flying below us was trying to "catch" our jettisoned cargo. :)

I too agree with Fritzi , Kling and Stig that a little more time to RTB does help the immersion factor. We use a "landed kills" scoring system in our squad also, so there is a vested interest. :thumbsup:

SoW Reddog
Dec-10-2013, 09:18
Problem is that 10 minutes isn't enough to get back to France and Land if you're over London. So we need to add another 30 minutes probably, maybe more if damaged. Where do we draw the line?

EG14_Marcast
Dec-10-2013, 10:09
Problem is that 10 minutes isn't enough to get back to France and Land if you're over London. So we need to add another 30 minutes probably, maybe more if damaged. Where do we draw the line?

I agree. It would really be nice to have time for RTB, but usually you are too far for that when the map ends. I think it's better to get earlier a new map than waiting up to 30' that everybody is back.

ATAG_EvangelusE
Jan-05-2014, 11:18
I agree. It would really be nice to have time for RTB, but usually you are too far for that when the map ends. I think it's better to get earlier a new map than waiting up to 30' that everybody is back.

Unfortunately Snapper had to lock the poll thread for the reasons he stated. It seems to me that there are good arguments for and against but I do like to RTB whenever possible - even more so with the release of TF4.01 where improved ground handling may make landing more of a challenge - part of the immersion for me.

Having read some of the arguments against, lengthening the mission time does have problems that I now accept as valid such as the one posted by Marcastel57.

At the moment, if a player carries on flying untill the mission ends it is counted as a sortie only - exit in the air before the mission end and you have a sortie and an abandon. I just carry on untill the end and happy to just get a 'sortie' increment. I Respect that for some people stats are not important but equally, respect should be shown for players who do care about their stats.

The obvious solution is to simply award any player who is in the air at mission end with an RTB but can it be done? I don't know. Even if the RTB argument was satisfied we still have the problem of launcher, Steam, PC, crashes, etc.

As devils advocate - I would like to see the option for players to exclude themselves from the stats.

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Jan-05-2014, 11:36
If this did occur (a 10 minute wait) when a mission ends, I'd probably just disconnect and go elsewhere... or use the break to get a drink.

Still, sucks if you spawn in 1 or 2 minutes before mission end though. Then you'd have to wait a full 10 or 11 minutes for the next map.
I can imagine the howls of despair when people join a server that still has 10 minutes to run before an actual mission starts...

Kling
Jan-05-2014, 11:41
If this did occur (a 10 minute wait) when a mission ends, I'd probably just disconnect and go elsewhere... or use the break to get a drink.

Still, sucks if you spawn in 1 or 2 minutes before mission end though. Then you'd have to wait a full 10 or 11 minutes for the next map.
I can imagine the howls of despair when people join a server that still has 10 minutes to run before an actual mission starts...

Even if your still airborne you would still disconnect?!?!

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Jan-05-2014, 12:13
Even if your still airborne you would still disconnect?!?!

Sometimes... why not?
Sometimes I disconnect while the mission is still going.
Sometimes I disconnect cos the door bell goes...

9./JG52 Jamz Dackel
Jan-05-2014, 12:16
Sometimes... why not?
Sometimes I disconnect while the mission is still going.
Sometimes I disconnect cos the door bell goes...

Phil, I think your missing the point he was making.. I think what he was saying was from a Stat perspective m8 :) as that would still be an abandon, or at least that's how i read it

listen each to their own mate, I suggested something and its got flamed so I'm not bothered either way anymore...its not like im flying much lately anyway

SoW Reddog
Jan-05-2014, 12:17
The next mission I release to the server will have an increased rtb'ing time before the mission ends. Given the distances possibly involved, it will need to have an extra 20-30minutes to achieve if your flying a bomber and hit the target outside London. Since aircraft numbers will be recorded, it will be important to allow all players the chance to get home. However, I will prevent any further aircraft taking off in this period. As soon as players drops to zero, the mission will end to prevent periods of time being wasted.

9./JG52 Jamz Dackel
Jan-05-2014, 12:28
The next mission I release to the server will have an increased rtb'ing time before the mission ends. Given the distances possibly involved, it will need to have an extra 20-30minutes to achieve if your flying a bomber and hit the target outside London. Since aircraft numbers will be recorded, it will be important to allow all players the chance to get home. However, I will prevent any further aircraft taking off in this period. As soon as players drops to zero, the mission will end to prevent periods of time being wasted.

So am I right in saying that if I enter game in the 30min buffer zone I cannot fly? Now that would pi$$ a lot of people off and tbh I didn't think about the bomber crews..my bad

Would it have to be that long? maybe meet somewhere in the middle because I doubt anyone would go with a 30min 'no fly time'?

Also couldn't we allow the choice on if you want to take off inthe 'RTB' time for whatever reason, each to their own

My suggestion wasn't to hamper anyone or anyone's flying time, it was merely for those who like Stats, those who do not like stats id like to think it wouldn't bother them

Kling
Jan-05-2014, 12:48

Sound very good Reddog! You know Im a ig fan of your missions! Im sure it will be a success!!! Although I would ask you to consider the alternative to able to take off within these last 30mins for those who dont care about stats at all. If we could please both sides this would be ideal!
If "stat jerks" like me are unable to land within these 30mins then thats surely my fault. At least I had the option! ;)

Mysticpuma
Jan-05-2014, 14:37
Well it would be good to use these 10 mins to rtb...if there actually was a point in rtb:ing :)

I see what you did there roflmao

-Sven-
Jan-05-2014, 18:10
Doesn't matter much to me, I like new scenarios, but from an immersion point of view I get why people want to land their plane after a sortie.

Maybe the people who get shot down flying low over their airbases should set course for an unexplored part of the CLOD map and tool around there. Earlier this week I got strafed in a Heinkel at Tramcourt, tough shit, it happens. There will always be people looking for easy kills to increase their self-esteem.

RebelSqurl
Jan-05-2014, 21:59
Just tossing this out there as a newbie with no idea about the programming involved and whether it'd even be possible. But...

How about expanding the "Who is Flying" part of the ATAG homepage somewhat to include "Mission in Progress", showing what mission is currently playing on the primary server and how much time remains in it. This could include a two-minute-warning countdown that the server is about to restart once conditions warrant. That way, players joining via the direct-connect links here could check it out beforehand and possibly avoid the problem of logging in just as the mission's about to end.

III./ZG76_Saipan
Jan-05-2014, 22:21
if you set the stats to have an automatic rtb at the end that would solve everything, prob not possible or easy to do though?