PDA

View Full Version : Server limit

9./JG52_Meyer
Dec-09-2013, 06:00
Salute all

I have noticed recently that the server crashes when it gets up to its max number. I am no expert in the making of missions or putting servers up in fact i know absolutley nothing about it. However can it be because there are to many AI in there, ground targets ,clouds etc etc. I know the other ATAG server is being used for testing at the minute ,but when that is finished can they not limit one server to 80 players and open up the other for the overspill?. It gets a bit frustating when 6 of us get formed up in 109's to do a Jabo mission fly all the way to the target get sorted out to hit the ground target and all of a sudden all the planes start to warp out of it.

ATAG_Lolsav
Dec-09-2013, 06:11
The real question is: Would it happen even if it was 2 or 3 guys on the server? We need to find the cause of the lag spike. It could be Steam, it could be traffic error for those on europe (server in USA), it could be what you say.

So far the internet code (Thank you oh "unnamed one") has proven to be great and with room to improve. I was on the server when the connection "stalled" for several minutes, but i tend to find those "stalls" quite regular, on the week end. But if you noticed carefully it is not when the server its most packed, but when the population has alredy started to decrease (europe goes into night). It was no more than 60 players when it happened the "hick-up" last night/afteroon (on the states).

9./JG52_Meyer
Dec-09-2013, 06:57
Lolsav thanks for the reply , you have cleared some points up for me in there. Lets hope the problem is found and sorted .

9./JG52 Ziegler
Dec-09-2013, 07:09
That's right it was not full but rather in the 60's, but the mission had allot of AI bombers, ships etc...Recently we've had some stuttering then it looks to crash but then comes back after a minute, but last night, twice it crashed when there were only players in the 60s?

ATAG_Lolsav
Dec-09-2013, 07:44
The server never crashed. I tought the same. But when i finally was able to see the server back up online it had around 50 ppl on, playing for 3 hours. So, the server never went down. It seems to be a mission issue. Was it Reddog mission where many AI bombers are spawned, wasnt it?

I hope it can have a work around, because what makes the mission interesting its the big numbers of AI. Maybe space the raids a bit?

SoW Reddog
Dec-09-2013, 08:25
The server never crashed. I tought the same. But when i finally was able to see the server back up online it had around 50 ppl on, playing for 3 hours. So, the server never went down. It seems to be a mission issue. Was it Reddog mission where many AI bombers are spawned, wasnt it?

I hope it can have a work around, because what makes the mission interesting its the big numbers of AI. Maybe space the raids a bit?

If it is my mission then the raids should be spawning in no closer than 25-30 minutes apart, and while I guess it's conceivable if every raid targetted London Docks, that we could have 4 or maybe 5 raids "active" at any one time, the aircraft should be despawning in the current version, whereas in the previous one it didn't work correctly and they were circling over France. I personally saw at least 60 aircraft in a single spot once, and the server was working ok.

I can of course look to ensure that raids are further apart/don't spawn if a certain number are already in the air but that will further upset people who seem to be complaining of a lack of targets for the Red pilots....

ATAG_Colander
Dec-09-2013, 09:01
Please take note of the mission running when this happens.

ATAG_Lolsav
Dec-09-2013, 09:46
@Reddog

Please take notice i am not blaiming your mission, simply stating it could be due to some sort of script error/stress effect on the server. BUT thats only one of several possibilities as i stated on my first post.

@Colander

Yes Sir, aye Sir!

SoW Reddog
Dec-09-2013, 09:54
@Reddog

Please take notice i am not blaiming your mission, simply stating it could be due to some sort of script error/stress effect on the server. BUT thats only one of several possibilities as i stated on my first post.

@Colander

Yes Sir, aye Sir!

Absolutely matey, don't worry. I don't want to be responsible for the server crashing but it is a possibility!

9./JG52 Hans Gruber
Dec-09-2013, 11:37
Please take note of the mission running when this happens.

It was the winter map with Lewes train station target for blue on Sunday. The day before it was the winter Littlestone map.

In steam server shows as not responding. After 4 or 5 minutes enough people quit than it comes back and a flood of chat messages come through at once.

ATAG_Septic
Dec-09-2013, 11:54
Only based on what I've read in the past, I suspect most problems of this nature are related to the way the game server connects to Steam. It is apparently connecting as a client rather than as a server and causing a bottleneck. Bliss knows about this and has posted server records etc. I've contacted Steam myself, several times over the years but they insist this is something that can only be fixed in the game, not their end.

Septic.

It was the winter map with Lewes train station target for blue on Sunday. The day before it was the winter Littlestone map.

In steam server shows as not responding. After 4 or 5 minutes enough people quit than it comes back and a flood of chat messages come through at once.

9./JG52 Hans Gruber
Dec-09-2013, 12:16
When I was admin at SoW we had the same problem. Solution was to turn off custom skins (something ATAG already did) and reduce max players to 80. Since then I was able to run missions with 80 players + 40 AI bombers at once.

The game engine or it's current server architecture really struggles above 90 players without AI. I see it quite frequently on steam, if I view the game info of a friend on the server and if the server stops responding to steam requests it won't be long before it crashes or locks up until enough people quit.

It would be really interesting if TF could find a way to pull the server piece off of steam and run as stand alone application. I don't blame steam for this, of the many games I have played through steam servers they all worked quite well. CloD is the exception.

ATAG_Bliss
Dec-09-2013, 13:12
The biggest thing is AI flights can't be unchecked. You can have 40 in the air at once, but if more are spawning in before the previous flights have despawned, coupled with lots of players, the game won't like it.

So if big groups are spawning in every 20 to 30 minutes the AI just keep building. If I remember right a flight of AI just across the pond and back, then landing takes almost 50 minutes in itself. My missions don't crash at 100 people because of this. The biggest thing is getting the timings down so x amount of AI are in the sky at once with never having a chance for them to accumulate.

ATAG_Lolsav
Dec-09-2013, 13:25
The biggest thing is getting the timings down so x amount of AI are in the sky at once with never having a chance for them to accumulate.

If this was the problem you meant. Seems it was not on Reddogs mission, wich has more AI airborne at same time. So, for now, the mission can be cleared out. Can you check if its a "sunday" issue? Seems always to be on the weekend.