PDA

View Full Version : Okay, wont bore you, but this was my second ever take-off and landing - full real

Mysticpuma
Dec-09-2013, 17:01
Set to Full Simulation and Rudder assistance set to 0%.......decided to get in at the deep end ;)

Got to say, love the start up procedure and it always feels good when you do well in a flight. Compared to my first attempt with huge bounce, this went pretty well. Did wander slightly on take-off and touchdown, but it's something I can work on ;)

Anyway, short video of take-off and landing with all the flying bits cut out, cheers, MP

http://youtu.be/_TYHWP1BVlY

Catseye
Dec-09-2013, 18:05
Set to Full Simulation and Rudder assistance set to 0%.......decided to get in at the deep end ;)

Got to say, love the start up procedure and it always feels good when you do well in a flight. Compared to my first attempt with huge bounce, this went pretty well. Did wander slightly on take-off and touchdown, but it's something I can work on ;)

Anyway, short video of take-off and landing with all the flying bits cut out, cheers, MP

http://youtu.be/_TYHWP1BVlY

Hi MP,

Nice take off. I see you found the forumula of power at boost 50.
Glad to see you don't need to turn on rudder assist. I tried everything but found my Saitek pedals could not be adjusted out of their sensitivity so had to go in and apply 20 percent assist. It made all the difference and now I can apply the pedals with some "feel" to them and not run off the runway taking off or landing.

Looking forward to WWII sim and hoping that it has the fidelity of the P51 and that the P51 when introduced into WWII takes on the damage model that I hope will be a part of the new sim and top notch.

Cheers,

dburne
Dec-09-2013, 18:27
Very impressive, congrats!!
I bought the P-51 earlier this year when they had a sale, and have yet to even give it a try... maybe someday, I will find some time.

Marmus
Dec-09-2013, 20:01
Very impressive, congrats!!
I bought the P-51 earlier this year when they had a sale, and have yet to even give it a try... maybe someday, I will find some time.

I am in the same boat!!

MP, looks like fun....thanks for sharing!!

Everytime I open DCS, I wind up flying my A-10c.....LOVE that plane and all its weapons!! Kill modern armor in a P-51 seems waste.....can't wait for new "world". Though I should learn to do all those basics for P-51.

ATAG_Torian
Dec-10-2013, 09:12
Glad to see you don't need to turn on rudder assist. I tried everything but found my Saitek pedals could not be adjusted out of their sensitivity so had to go in and apply 20 percent assist. It made all the difference and now I can apply the pedals with some "feel" to them and not run off the runway taking off or landing.

Just checking the fundamentals but u are pulling the stick back to lock the tailwheel for takeoff until the tail lifts?

Catseye
Dec-10-2013, 14:32
Just checking the fundamentals but u are pulling the stick back to lock the tailwheel for takeoff until the tail lifts?

Hi Torian,
Absolutely.

Very familiar with the ground manoeuvering on the P51.

Even in COD the SAitek only needs to move a little for full deflection and in the COD setup I gave it as much curve and deadzone as I could to make it reasonable.

In DCS P51, it is far more sensitive. In fact, my Warthog HOTAS stick was exceedingly sensitive until I adjusted the curves quite a bit to make it flyable for me.

So now I'm OK with them and really like that DCS put in the "assist" capability to allow for different rudder sensitivities.

Cheers,
Cats . . .

Catseye
Dec-10-2013, 14:35
I have two training missions I set - same mission one for day and one for night.

I flew the night one yesterday evening and I have to say wow! regarding the stars, the cockpit lighting and had a great sense of flying when turning on approach and lining up with all the different runway lighting and taxying after touchdown. Superb!

Now I need to figure out how to capture the replay or at least convert the .trk file to upload it.

Cheers,

ATAG_Torian
Dec-11-2013, 01:19
Yeah I didn't think it would have been the problem as u know what ur doing. I may need to smooth out some of my inputs as well. This plane doesn't take to kindly to jerky movements at takeoff or high speed and I'm still coming to terms with where u can push it and where u can't.
Haven't tried a night mission yet so will have to check it out.

Catseye
Dec-11-2013, 11:34
Yeah I didn't think it would have been the problem as u know what ur doing. I may need to smooth out some of my inputs as well. This plane doesn't take to kindly to jerky movements at takeoff or high speed and I'm still coming to terms with where u can push it and where u can't.
Haven't tried a night mission yet so will have to check it out.

:)
Make sure you know were you light dimmer switches are. . . . . fumbling in the dark is a hoot!

I did find out that there is a tool in P51 for converting your .trk files to avi. I just have to figure out the settings.

Foul Ole Ron
Dec-11-2013, 14:12

Good start - much better than my second take off which, ah, never even got to the landing part. One thing that might help with wandering on take off is not kicking the MP up to 50 that quickly so you're not fighting the torque so much. Put MP to 30 and start rolling out. Then once you're happy with direction ease it up to 46 or thereabouts and that's plenty to take off for most loads.

For landing you'll need to come in a little less hot. I usually aim to be going about 130 over the start of the runway threshold and then ease it down, flare and chop the throttle and the Mustang won't bounce at all. You can bleed off speed at 2500 without having to lower the MP way down on the approach - give it a bit more time to lose altitude and with gear and flaps down it'll happen easily enough. If you have MP basically chopped it can be tricky if you suddenly add a load of MP if you need to go around.

Roblex
Dec-12-2013, 14:29
Do I assume the P51 is harder than the A10? I landed that first time without reading any manuals but the one thing I could not work out how to do was turn off the engines. I sat there switching off everything in sight but never did find it :D

Xcom
Dec-14-2013, 05:16
You are right to assume its harder, first because of the torque, second because the a10c has stabilizers.

To shut down the engine you need to either shut off the mixture (m twice) or shut off the fuel valve.

9./JG52 Ziegler
Dec-14-2013, 07:24
Good start - much better than my second take off which, ah, never even got to the landing part. One thing that might help with wandering on take off is not kicking the MP up to 50 that quickly so you're not fighting the torque so much. Put MP to 30 and start rolling out. Then once you're happy with direction ease it up to 46 or thereabouts and that's plenty to take off for most loads.

For landing you'll need to come in a little less hot. I usually aim to be going about 130 over the start of the runway threshold and then ease it down, flare and chop the throttle and the Mustang won't bounce at all. You can bleed off speed at 2500 without having to lower the MP way down on the approach - give it a bit more time to lose altitude and with gear and flaps down it'll happen easily enough. If you have MP basically chopped it can be tricky if you suddenly add a load of MP if you need to go around.

Good post Ron and my thoughts exactly on the approach. I too tend to set up final glide slope with some power, full flaps and to do this you need lower rpms on the prop. This of course needs to be first in your mind if a go around is called for as it is SOP to use fine pitch in case of a go around. It feels a bit like you are pushing through the natural glide slope a bit (mushing) but it it settles much better and can be wheel landed on the mains with a gentle touch.:thumbsup:

On another note, has anyone noticed that the P51D seems to handle a little differently in the training mission with the FW190? Maybe it's just me but mine feels allot more stable flying in the sim mode? I go over to the dogfight the 190 and it's very twitchy and shakey and if your not smooth, it just doesn't seem to fly the same?