PDA

View Full Version : A great guide for the Blenheim

ATAG_Torian
Oct-25-2011, 01:33
Here is a link to a guide for startup and flying the Blenheim.

http://airwarfare.com/sow/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=129%3Ablenheim-mkiv&catid=111%3Ablenheim-mkiv&Itemid=136&limitstart=1

It seems that the Blenheim in reality has only 2 prop pitch positons, coarse and fine.
This is where most of us are coming to grief thinking it is a multipitch prop.
Unfortunately the game allows incremental changes on the slider leading u to think
that u have that function. What u need to do is leave it in fine for takeoff n landing
but push the slider all the way down once u are airborne to engage coarse pitch.
Anyway, read the guide as I have found it to be a reliable way to fly the Blenheim.
Cheers,
Torian.

ATAG_Septic
Oct-25-2011, 04:06
Nice find Torian, thanks for posting. I've avoided trying the Blenheim but will give it a go now. :thumbsup:

ChiefRedCloud
Oct-25-2011, 09:30
Great Thanks ....

ATAG_Torian
Oct-25-2011, 13:31
A couple of hints u won't necessarily find in the guide but nonetheless work:
With either 4 x 250lb or 2 x 500lb bombs only take 20% fuel load. This is plenty.
To speed up the warmup I advance the throttles a couple of mins after start (when cylinder temps are about 100*) enuff to increase revs to increase rate of temp rise.
Make sure radiator cowling is fully open at this point if u haven't done it already.
When temps are at 180* I then advance throttles to get plane taxiing. You will
likely need a lot of left rudder and brakes to get plane to turn to where u need it.
When u are where u want to be for takeoff advance throttles to 70-80%. This is all u need to get to about 90mph where u can gently pull back on the stick and get airborne. Using only 70-80% throttles will also help prevent overheat. You don't need flaps. Once up raise wheels and gently climb to 500-1000ft and 120mph, keep throttles at 80% then decrease prop pitch all the way down to full coarse and nose down to pick up speed. Your rpm will drop to 1600 and this is all u need with throttles at 80% or even a little less to fly the rest of your mission. Always keep a
regular eye on cylinder head temps (CHT, thats the 2 guages over your right shoulder above the fuel toggle wheels). Use the radiator cowling to keep the
temps between 180 to 200* in cruise (the closer to 180 the better).
Edit: Will start to get some sputters as u climb past 4500ft so turn on carburettor heating.
Doesn't seem to need it down lower but just experiment with it if u get sputters.
Many thx to ATAG_Spinfx for tips in getting this bird in the air.
Happy landings, ATAG_Torian.

ATAG_Bliss
Oct-25-2011, 16:31
Good stuff.

Thanks fellas! :dthumb:

RAAF_Magpie
Oct-28-2011, 02:36
Salute and thanks for the tips on the Blen.
Has anyone tried skip-bombing in the Blen?
I've had marginal results at best. Don't go below 300ft or you will blow yourself up! Take heaps of damage, even if only attacking a medium tanker!
I prefer the longitudinal attack, in Single Player I had a good hit rate, some fine tuning needed in MP though!

The attached chart detailing Blen statistics comes from a document I picked up at the 1C forum.

5./JG27Rudelmann
Oct-30-2011, 01:16
That bird is so complicated I almost feel bad when I shoot Torian down... if he'd just lay off the blue ships!

~S!

ATAG_WatchMan
Oct-30-2011, 10:08
Careful there Rudelmann, Ol' Torian is liable to turn the tables on you!:Grin:

ATAG_WatchMan.
:eek:

ATAG_Torian
Oct-30-2011, 11:00
At least he waits till I've sunk a couple of ships before turning my plane into a light
show :)

ATAG_Striker
Nov-02-2011, 05:06
good :salute:

RAAF_Magpie
Nov-08-2011, 20:51
On the Blenheim characteristics. Not sure if this has been mentioned. The bulk of the Blens bad habits occur in Single Player on the BoB map. When on Multi-Player or on the smaller maps (Volcanic Island, etc) in SP the take-off/taxi is a cinch.