PDA

View Full Version : Engine Boost, etc

CrackerJack
Dec-10-2013, 16:48
A noob question. I've downloaded an engine management chart which gives Boost values for different settings eg 30min power is +6 boost, and 2700 rpm. These are for Spit 1a 100oct. So my question is how does one adjust the Boost?? I believe that the rpm is adjusted using the propeller pitch.

I also find it difficult to view the little engine info bars that are displayed in the lower left corner of my screen. While I'm learning I'd like a larger digital output of throttle, pitch, etc. I assume that this can be tweaked in the config some how but I'm not sure where to start??

Thanks!

ATAG_Lolsav
Dec-10-2013, 16:56
So my question is how does one adjust the Boost??

With the mighty Throtle!

Now lets get a bit more deep. Diffrent rpms respond to throtle inputs with diffrent results on boost. Just try it for yourself and you will see what i mean.

A low rpm setting, lets say 2400, will produce more boost pressure with less throtle input. Try it with diffrent rpm settings.

Oh... and its diffrent results depending on the altitude you are flying. After 10 thousand feet or so (bit more) you have to input more throtle to get just to avoid boost to drop. On contrail level you should be on negative boost pressure. But dont worry, same happens on 109´s engine... just at a diffrent altitude (usually higher compared to Spit Ia 100 and lower when compared with Spit IIa).

Confused? Im sorry... its just the way it is.

SoW Reddog
Dec-10-2013, 17:26
You can change the engine display to digital if you select the window and go into customise. Can't remember exactly what it was to change but it's pretty obvious.

Roblex
Dec-11-2013, 12:59
I must admit the whole 'Boost, Revs, Throttle' thing confused the hell out of my when I first started in Complex Engine Management. The problem is that people use them interchangeably in the same sentence eg. 'Open the throttle & climb out at boost 5 then reduce the revs to 2800' as if there were three sets of controls to adjust.