PDA

View Full Version : Can't fly anymore (launcher crashes)

JG4_Sputnik
Dec-11-2013, 14:58
I've tryed today four times and everytime shortly after the take of I had a launcher crash.
Never had any before.
So it seems it has something to do with the new online statistics (tab-4) system.
Can anyone please help me or ATAG fix it? I can't fly online anymore :((

9./JG52_J-HAT
Dec-11-2013, 15:04
Hey Sputnik, someone with better knowledge will surely come along, but I think it has to do with the dreaded windows update!

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3528

Update KB2670838

ATAG_JTDawg
Dec-11-2013, 15:08
I've tryed today four times and everytime shortly after the take of I had a launcher crash.
Never had any before.
So it seems it has something to do with the new online statistics (tab-4) system.
Can anyone please help me or ATAG fix it? I can't fly online anymore :((

could be that J-Hat . but my pc had 7 new updates today , will try flying an see if I have same issue :thumbsup:

9./JG52_J-HAT
Dec-11-2013, 15:36
Enlem just reported launcher crashes during homeplate. Maybe there is something in the mission causing this?

Kling
Dec-11-2013, 15:57
And switch off any sweetFX etc etc if u have any. SweetFX with teamspeak and TS notifier will give u launcher crashes! ;)
Let us know how it goes!

sciwi
Dec-17-2013, 16:22
Been trying to play sp on cod and game starts to freeze up after a few mins then the launcher crashes, has there been any fixes for this.

Thanks in advance

ATAG_Lolsav
Dec-17-2013, 16:26
As stated before, remove SweetFx.

After recent windows update (last week), with dotnet 4.5, the crashes caused by SweetFx went bzerks. And its not only in CLOD. Browse around and you will see there are many games having this problem with that "magic" combo, SweetFx and dotnet 4.5 udpate.

sciwi
Dec-17-2013, 16:56
i dragged and dropped a whole heap of files for sweetfx, could a while to remove them all or is there a simple method to getting rid of it?

cheers

sciwi

edit: i just put in sweet fx evening afternoon, game was crashing to launcher before i put in sweet fx.

ATAG_Lolsav
Dec-17-2013, 17:03
Typically the files installed are:

d3d9.dll - DirectX 9 proxy dll that will inject shaders into DirectX 9 games
d3d9.fx - DirectX 9 specific shader code
dxgi.dll - DirectX 10/11 proxy dll that will inject shaders into DirectX 10/11 games
dxgi.fx - DirectX 10/11 specific shader code
shader.fx - Alternative DirectX 9 specific shader code for FXAA support.
injector.ini - Settings for the shader injector dlls - you can reconfigure the keys used in this file
SweetFX readme.txt - This readme
SweetFX_preset.txt - You can choose which settings file to load here - default is to load SweetFX_settings.txt
SweetFX_settings.txt - SweetFX settings. Effects can be turned on and off here, and their settings can be tweaked.

+

Sweetfx folder

Edit: any other overlay? Overwolf on TS comes to mind.

sciwi
Dec-17-2013, 17:27
Thanks for the help, I'll remove the files and let you know how it goes when I get a chance to play later today. I have no other overlays.

Cheers

sciwi
Dec-17-2013, 22:00
sadly it is still crashing after about 5 minutes of flying, games freezes a few times for a few seconds then crashes.

edit: seems to be only when i play the campaign, no crashes when i play quick missions. IS the campaign known for crashing?

ATAG_Lolsav
Dec-17-2013, 22:06
You dont happen to have the "malefic" windows update installed, do you?

Windows 7 Update KB2670838

Going to look for a tool to help you, brb.

Use this tool http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7461

and then go through this thread

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4123

Kling
Dec-18-2013, 06:04
I notice that your title to this threa is "can't fly ANYMORE" which to me sounds like this problem came suddenly??

Just to make sure, you have windows 7, 64 bit right?
The reason Im asking is that I used to have constant crashes with win 32 bit as it doesnt allow enough RAM memory to be used... :/

Osprey
Dec-18-2013, 08:32
I often get a launcher crash when Steam in-game notifications pop up (ie your friends list stuff). I've turned them off now.

sciwi
Dec-18-2013, 13:44
I notice that your title to this threa is "can't fly ANYMORE" which to me sounds like this problem came suddenly??

Just to make sure, you have windows 7, 64 bit right?
The reason Im asking is that I used to have constant crashes with win 32 bit as it doesnt allow enough RAM memory to be used... :/

i have 32 bit win 7 :( .. looks like i will be asking santa for 64 bit version

ATAG_Lolsav
Dec-18-2013, 13:52
Are you using 3GB ram? There is a thread for Win32 users.

Edit: This one http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6162

Kling
Dec-18-2013, 13:53
i have 32 bit win 7 :( .. looks like i will be asking santa for 64 bit version

Then I think we have nailed down the problem to your win7 32 bit! ;)
Yes a win7 64bit would be a great step up! How much RAM do you have?

EDIT: and Yes I recommend to followe Lolsav´s tip above first!! ;)

sciwi
Dec-18-2013, 20:38
Are you using 3GB ram? There is a thread for Win32 users.

Edit: This one http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6162

i recently updated my motherboard cpu and ram (another reason i was giving CloD another shot) i have 8gb of ram. I was under the impression that windows 32 now recognizes 4gb of ram now, but if you have more, it will use it, just not recognise that you have more than 4gb, but i am far from a computer expert.

I tried the above fix and all it said was the system cannot find the specified path.

edit: i had a typo in the command line, it works now, just need to restart the comp and see how it goes, fingers crossed.

sciwi
Dec-18-2013, 21:33
it seems to have done the trick, thanks so much for your help!! All i need is christmas out the way to have some time to myself to get a littel better at the game and i will see you on the server!!

ATAG_Lolsav
Dec-18-2013, 21:51
:thumbsup:

varrattu
Dec-19-2013, 05:01
Hi,

I use win7 64bit but like others I often get a launcher crash.
Since patch 4.0 the game suddenly freezes and then crashes. ... ...

Regards Varrattu

ATAG_Lolsav
Dec-19-2013, 05:58
Hi,

Regards Varrattu

Do you have any "overlay" running, meaning, SweetFx, Overwolf (of TS), Steam ingame messages?

varrattu
Dec-19-2013, 10:09
Do you have any "overlay" running, meaning, SweetFx, Overwolf (of TS), Steam ingame messages?

No SweetFx, no Overwolf, no STEAM ingame messages.

Regards ~V~

PS: I suspect a conflict with my Logitech G940 Rudder pedals, occuring since 4.00 ...

ATAG_Lolsav
Dec-19-2013, 10:16
@Varratu

You have stated "often". Is it regular, offline and online? Is it on a clockwork timming? (Meaning at exactly 5/10 minutes it crashes).

Do you know where the cpp (crash report files) are located? (so someone can take a look at them), ie, MyDocuments/Cliffs Mod folder/ crash folder (i think). There will be ".cpp" files wich are crash reports.

Have you cleared the cache?

Is Steam Cloud uncheck?

varrattu
Dec-19-2013, 10:25
@ ATAG_Lolsav

I will report when I am through your checklist ...

varrattu
Dec-19-2013, 17:58
@ ATAG_Lolsav

The crashes are not exactly at / after a certain time. I can provide ".cpp" files. Me, I cannot read anything in it ...

Regards ~V~

ATAG_Lolsav
Dec-19-2013, 18:15
@Varratu

Clear cache and cpp files folder. On the next crash you have go to cpp folder, zip the file and send it to this thread as attachment. Will ask someone of TF to take a look at them to see if the find the reason for the crash.

ATAG_Colander
Dec-19-2013, 19:34
varrattu,

Please check if you have the dreaded windows update mentioned in the above posts. It sounds like you do.

Colander

varrattu
Dec-20-2013, 05:04
Thanks, I will report ...

Regards ~V~

varrattu
Dec-30-2013, 15:34
Well, the regular online - crashes are still there ...

I do not have the above mentioned windows update.

I never used SweetFx, Overwolf or any other ingame messages.

Cache and cpp files folder are cleared.

Enclosed please find the last DMP files ...

Happy New Year

~V~

trademe900
Dec-30-2013, 16:29
This game can not run on 32bit. Been through all this the long and hard way. It can not be said loud enough- don't try it with a 32 bit windows.

Incog
Dec-30-2013, 18:00
Hi,

Regards Varrattu

Launcher crash? As in you start the game and when you're in the game menu it crashes?

If it's random ingame freezes and then crashes, allow me to ask if your graphics card has been overclocked or not. I had a similar problem not long ago, when I overclocked my card to 1040 MHz, Clod would randomly freeze and crash. So after going back to stock clocks (being too lazy to fiddle with voltage), it seemed to work better. The other possible fix would be to upgrade your GPU's drivers.

Finally, a brute force solution would be to back up your important data on an external hard drive or something, format your drive and reinstall Windows. If it's a software problem, it'll probably help.

@trademe: hi, you shot me down 30 minutes ago over deal. you mean old bugger, you

Edit: I'm merely stating the solutions which worked for me. I know that some time ago I had problems with CLod freezing in game. I can't remember if putting the GPU to stock clocks completely fixed the problem but I think it did. I brought windows reinstall because since then, I've reinstalled windows. I like reinstalling windows, cleans up your storage and keeps the system nice and responsive.

Bando
Jan-09-2014, 15:52
Is there someone with a golden hint for me?
I have had SweetFx installed, worked great. Then some weeks (months?) ago it made the sim crash. Uninstalled SFX, game works flawlessly.
Recently I installed SFX again, within 5 minutes it crashes as described by some players on the first page of this thread.
I'm not good at technical stuff. Is there someone who can point me in the right direction?

ATAG_Lolsav
Jan-09-2014, 17:53
Yes, the malefic windows update kb 2670838. Get rid of it. But be aware he trys to come back all the time.

That particular windows update was a preparation for IE 10 i think.

Bando
Jan-11-2014, 08:45
I did a search for that update. I could not find it on my machine. I never use the MS browser (Google Chrome user).
Tried it again today, it looks awesome, but it freezes after just a few minutes.
Ah well.....

DUI
Jan-11-2014, 10:05
Tried it again today, it looks awesome, but it freezes after just a few minutes.

Not really much of a help but it does not sound like the KB2670838 Windows update. If the game freezes and you manually have to alt-tab out of the application and close the process manually (as described in BoS forum) this does not seem to be typical KB2670838 related - to my knowledge people having this update installed get a launcher crash, don't they?

darkside3/4
Jan-11-2014, 11:12
Do you have any free track software installed recently, or ps3 eye compatability software? If so uninstall both and give it a try. Both those programs caused my perfect running cliffs to continually launcher crash like u mention. Its worth a shot.

Bando
Jan-11-2014, 17:50
Thanks for giving it some thought guys.
I use TIR 5, have tried to play the sim without it, it freezes after a short while. The Windows update is not on my rig, did an extensive search for it.

It's not the end of the world, as i can fly the sim perfectly without SweetFx, but strange it is....
It just does look better with SFX. Ah well....

darkside3/4
Jan-11-2014, 18:00
I had to remove Sweet FX as well, couldnt play online longer than 5 minutes as well.

ATAG_Lolsav
Jan-11-2014, 22:29
I didnt had the malefic windows update kb2670838 showing until i changed the views, from list to another larger option. Dont ask me why was this, but it was. When i did that, there he was! The bugger! Once i saw him i could remove it and "voilá", no more crashes using SweetFx.

Bando
Jan-12-2014, 09:31
:banghead:

Lolsav: I read the above post and decided to give it one more try. I did search in the windows search mode for the update kb2670838. Nothing found.
Did search in Windows commander (a file mngr) nothing found. List the installed updates in windows: No kb2670838. I installed a little program called "list installed kb", no kb2670838 was shown.
I was convinced it wasn't on my rig.

Once again, when reading your post, I gave it a try. The list in windows was extensive (some 150 updates or so) so I did a search for *0838. Nothing there. Then in the search window I typed kb2670838 and there it was.
I have no freeking clue as to why this update did not reveal itself, but there you have it.
Uninstalled this file, sun is shining again. No more crashes.

Thanks a bunch for letting me look for the bugger one more time.

:pff:

ATAG_Bliss
Jan-12-2014, 10:08
:banghead:

Lolsav: I read the above post and decided to give it one more try. I did search in the windows search mode for the update kb2670838. Nothing found.
Did search in Windows commander (a file mngr) nothing found. List the installed updates in windows: No kb2670838. I installed a little program called "list installed kb", no kb2670838 was shown.
I was convinced it wasn't on my rig.

Once again, when reading your post, I gave it a try. The list in windows was extensive (some 150 updates or so) so I did a search for *0838. Nothing there. Then in the search window I typed kb2670838 and there it was.
I have no freeking clue as to why this update did not reveal itself, but there you have it.
Uninstalled this file, sun is shining again. No more crashes.

Thanks a bunch for letting me look for the bugger one more time.

:pff:

Hi Bando,

99% of the time when there is launcher crashes either that KBB is there or it's a SweetFX/InjectFX type of thing.

But for future reference, did you try this tool? http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7461

This is supposed to find that nasty update for you, made by Colander.

Bando
Jan-12-2014, 21:29
Yes I did use that tool and it did not list the bugger. That's one of the main reasons I thought (and that's where it all went south, I started thinking..) the update was not on my rig.
Well it was.
It's gone now, and CloD looks a lot better.
Thanks for everyones help.

Wolger
Jan-17-2014, 13:01
I'm having the same problem. It's getting irritating. I don't use SweetFX and couldn't locate the KB update file. Tried the little program but it didn't show up.

ATAG_Bliss
Jan-17-2014, 13:40
I'm having the same problem. It's getting irritating. I don't use SweetFX and couldn't locate the KB update file. Tried the little program but it didn't show up.

Easiest way to tell if you have the dreaded KB is if you have Internet Explorer 10 or higher. If you do, then you for sure have to dreaded KB installed.

Wolger
Jan-18-2014, 03:26
Easiest way to tell if you have the dreaded KB is if you have Internet Explorer 10 or higher. If you do, then you for sure have to dreaded KB installed.

Yes I'm on Windows 8 with IE10. But seems I can't find the KB update.

I might be hving the worst of lucks. BoS crashed on me too.

ATAG_Bliss
Jan-18-2014, 09:44
Yes I'm on Windows 8 with IE10. But seems I can't find the KB update.

I might be hving the worst of lucks. BoS crashed on me too.

I didn't realize you were on Windows 8. Then you can't get rid of the update :D But the update shouldn't effect you then. If you have upgraded to Windows 8.1, go into the compatibility tab for the Launcher.exe and make sure to set the compatibility to Windows 7 64bit. On Windows 8.1 there is no need to use the cloder windows 8 launcher anymore. If it's still crashing, I would suspect that you it's either a SweetFX/InjectorFX problem. It also could be a Teamspeak issue if you are trying to use an overlay that doesn't play nice with Cliffs of Dover.

ATAG_Snapper
Jan-18-2014, 11:02
In addition to Bliss' suggestion re Win 7 64-bit compatibility with launcher.exe is to make double-sure your Teamspeak 3 version is 64-bit, not 32-bit. Lolsav suggested checking this a little while ago, and sure enough, my TS version was 32-bit. I probably installed that version originally thinking that Clod, being a 32-bit program, needed the same for TS.

This really goofed things up for me when I tried using the new Team Fusion Clod Integrated plug-in. Clod wasn't crashing, but all my Custom Windows inexplicably got shifted off screen whenever I activated this plug-in. When I deleted TS 32-bit and installed TS 64-bit the new plug-in worked great.

This is may have nothing to do with your launcher crashes, but it's still worth verifying.

ATAG_EvangelusE
Jan-18-2014, 14:02
Seems like I have a problem too with more launcher crashes recently. Sometimes, after booting I get 'runtime error' and CloD closes, sometimes CloD crashes during game or entering the server and the map comes up then wham! Nvidea Experience also crashes.

I had Automatic updates set to 'off' since last year but I downloaded Microsoft Moviemaker last week and with it came a zillion MS updates. It took about 2 hours for them to install and after that I had nothing but problems with a whole bunch of software. I did a System Restore but something isn't right.....just had another crash runtime error.

Ah well, might have to do a complete OS system/software re-install....

ATAG_Torian
Jan-19-2014, 03:14
Yes u really have be careful if u install anything from Microsoft as it it tends to override your updates setting if it is turned off. Anything installed from Microsoft Essentials will do it.

ATAG_EvangelusE
Jan-19-2014, 15:20
Yes u really have be careful if u install anything from Microsoft as it it tends to override your updates setting if it is turned off. Anything installed from Microsoft Essentials will do it.

I wished I had known that the 'Essentials' pack overided my Update settings, I noticed it also installed Windows Server SQL 2005. Anyway, I removed it!

When CloD crashes it sometimes comes up with a Runtime error. I checked Windows Event log and noticed a lot of Run3DLL errors, which apparantly can be caused by Registry problems.

I've downloaded CCcleaner Freeware to scan/fix the PC for Registry errors ......keeping my fingers crossed that I can sort it out without re-installing everything again.

Blitzen
Jan-21-2014, 15:11
Hopefully this topic isn't dead or perhaps I should do a new post.I have similar but not the same problem & it has just started happening two weeks ago usually in campaign missions of some size. I get pretty far into themsay twenty minutes or so ( with time compression for most of the flight) then a get a brief stutter ,then a scren lock ,then one more stutter & CTD,with a similar alert that the connection has been lost. In single missions I get a similar stutter but the sim works thru it quickly & I have no further problems.Ironically this almost always happens when I am lining up my first shot! I eliminated the windows update file way back,but fear I might still have the Fx files left over from install a long time ago.Even tho this is a recent problem could these files be the problem? Would a reinstall of Mod 4.0 perhaps solve this CTD?

ATAG_Lolsav
Jan-21-2014, 15:15
Hopefully this topic isn't dead or perhaps I should do a new post.I have similar but not the same problem & it has just started happening two weeks ago usually in campaign missions of some size. I get pretty far into themsay twenty minutes or so ( with time compression for most of the flight) then a get a brief stutter ,then a scren lock ,then one more stutter & CTD,with a similar alert that the connection has been lost. In single missions I get a similar stutter but the sim works thru it quickly & I have no further problems.Ironically this almost always happens when I am lining up my first shot! I eliminated the windows update file way back,but fear I might still have the Fx files left over from install a long time ago.Even tho this is a recent problem could these files be the problem? Would a reinstall of Mod 4.0 perhaps solve this CTD?

Whats your operative System Blitzen? Please do the "hunt" on the malefic update, many tought he wouldnt be back, but even witht he "hide this update" option "ON" he manages to come back. Advise you to switch the views while on the "hunt", because on my default "list" wouldnt show up. When i switched to larger icons i found him there.

Bando
Jan-21-2014, 17:28
Exactly Lolsav.
I was baffled yesterday when flying nicely along in a Stuka, the machine crashed again. Precisely as described above by Blitzen. Some stutters, and boof, gone.
Did the search again, no joy on that update. Then changed window view (first you see "update history", it's not there, but click on "installed updates" and you will find that mofo as I did).
How the hell did it come back?????

Uninstalled it again, sun is shining again.
Still baffled.....

Blitzen
Jan-21-2014, 17:53
Whats your operative System Blitzen? Please do the "hunt" on the malefic update, many tought he wouldnt be back, but even witht he "hide this update" option "ON" he manages to come back. Advise you to switch the views while on the "hunt", because on my default "list" wouldnt show up. When i switched to larger icons i found him there.

Not sure what the malefic is- the Windows update.I did a search with the utility mentioned & didn't find it.Maybe I should do a manual search in Windows?
What I think is the problem was my attempt to install SweetFx gone wrong.I unistalled everything having to do with it & have run two tests on long missions which I flew on autopilot only.they completed themselves with aircraft landing or crash into Channel.A little later I'll fly one myself & see if the CTDs are fini-kaput!

ATAG_Lolsav
Jan-21-2014, 17:57
Not sure what the malefic is- the Windows update.I did a search with the utility mentioned & didn't find it.Maybe I should do a manual search in Windows?

The utility doesnt seem to catch it as it was intended to do. I havent bothered Colander with this because he has more important stuff to do.

The malefic update i know it by heart now. KB2670838

Blitzen
Jan-21-2014, 21:05
Cleaning out SweetFx seems to have done the trick...but if not where ( what folder,)would I find the update file you & everyone else knows to be a problem?:grrr:

ATAG_Lolsav
Jan-21-2014, 21:30
If you removed SweetFX and it works its a good indicator the malefic windows update its there.

Windows button,

START -> Control Panel -> System and security -> Windows updates -> See installed updates

varrattu
Jan-24-2014, 08:11
@ ATAG_Lolsav

I will report when I am through your checklist ...

Problem solved.

I used downsampling 2880x1620@1920x1080 and VSync ...

Using custom resolution (custom refresh rates) together with AntiAliasing or VSync, NVIDIA sooner or later crashes to desktop.

Happy landings

~V~