PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a cheap mic

sandman2575
Dec-13-2013, 13:58
I finally ventured onto the ATAG server for the first time last night. Flew for a while, headed over the Channel, eventually realized a Spit was stalking me. Tried to take evasive. Got too low. Stalled and went in the drink. HotPursuit claimed manoeuver kill, as was appropriate. He was very gracious about killing me, though. Good times.

Anyway, I realized how badly I need to get on TeamSpeak!

The one thing I'm missing is a microphone. I have good quality headphones that I like, so I'm reluctant to buy a cheap headset (and even more reluctant to buy an expensive headset). Ideally I'd love something that could clip on to my headphones, although not sure that's possible. Haven't really come up with anything searching on Amazon etc.

Anyone out there have a decent, inexpensive mic they can recommend? Prefer one that could hook up to my computer's microphone jack, rather than USB, and would ideally want to keep it below $30 if possible.

Appreciate any advice -- :thumbsup:

Roblex
Dec-13-2013, 14:41
I had a reasonably expensive headset (£50) then it got broken and I was so broke I had to get a £15 Logitech set from PC World.

Next time I went online all the squad commented on how clear I was :-)

sandman2575
Dec-13-2013, 15:09
If I can figure out how to configure TeamSpeak, I'm sure the transmission y'all will hear most clearly and frequently from me is, "It has been an honor flying with you" :)

Anyway, I may have answered my own question here -- this looks promising -- a detachable boom microphone that plugs into your headphones. (And right at the limit of my $30 budget too):

http://v-moda.com/boompro-microphone/

fleX
Dec-14-2013, 00:37
I know you found a suitable fix for your problem, but I thought I'd throw in a couple more options in case anyone else is looking.

Modmic by AntLion (http://www.modmic.com/) is a very popular make for those who prefer to use quality headphones instead of the cheap headsets.
Downside is, they aren't exactly cheap @ $33.95 USD.

My choice was to go for more of a clipon mic that could attach to my AD-700's cable.
Zalman Mic-1 (http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1-Sensitivity-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ) is a great little mic for the price ($10 on amazon, but shop around and you'll find them for $5.00 USD)
Downside is, they only attach very well to chunky headphone cables. If the cord is too thin (like in-ear headphones, for example), you might have a little trouble with the in-built clip.
This could be easily remedied by elastic bands, electrical tape, or any other manner of clip/fastener you might have on-hand.

The mic you chose out looks fine and will most likely work, but it seems to be a replacement or additional purchase for a certain headset (due to the top 35mm jack positioning).
I'm sure it will work fine without the need to pair it to the intended headphone, but - personally - I would rather go with one of the options I listed above. (Again, personal preference)

To help with setting up in TS, just go into settings and click on the recording tab, then you have a dropdown bar that you can select the source TS will recognize for speech.
If you're plugging your mic directly into the sound card, then select it. Then, use the 'test' function to make sure it works and the levels aren't too loud. Adjust the sliders accordingly.

While you're in there, you might want to think about setting up the PTT (push-to-talk) button, so if the missus comes in and starts nagging (we all get it from time to time :P), then the fellas on TS won't hear it unless your mic button is keyed.
(If that happens, it's not our fault if we hear you didn't take the trash out :D)

If you haven't fallen asleep with another of my walls of text, congratulations!

See you in the skies!

~S!~

f l e X `

sandman2575
Dec-14-2013, 15:37
Many thanks, fleX. The Antlion mod mic was actually what I initially stumbled across and wanted to buy, but it seems to be sold out everywhere -- went to the Antlion site and it appears they're just flat out of stock at the moment. So hopefully the V-Moda mic turns out to be a good alternative, and one that will work with my Sennheiser cans (fingers crossed).

Appreciate the tips about setting up TS. With any luck I'll have my new mic early next week and will be good to go with TS. Looking forward to jointing you guys on the ATAG servers :salute: