PDA

View Full Version : Keeping up with friendly AI/landing procedures.

zionid
Dec-15-2013, 16:32
I know this ahs been discussed, but as I guess most have noticed,
you will have a hell of a hard time keeping up with AI flight on climbing
to altitude. Even when a low waypoint speed is set, those buggers
just zoom away, accellerating like rockets.

I have heard about 'workarounds', such as flying at a lower level,
then climbing up, but that is hardly satisfying.

Is this something that is fixable for TF? Is it on the priority list?
This is definetly the fly in the soup as far as SP goes for my part.

Also, when flying as a squad leader, is there any way to tell your wingmen/other
flights to RTB? Mine just keeps in formation, and as I RTB they crash
trying to keep that formation as I am landing.

bolox
Dec-15-2013, 17:36
I know this ahs been discussed, but as I guess most have noticed,
you will have a hell of a hard time keeping up with AI flight on climbing
to altitude. Even when a low waypoint speed is set, those buggers
just zoom away, accellerating like rockets.

I've been doing alot of this recently as I'm doing an historical campaign in Oct/Nov so lots of climbs to 25k+.
It is possible to keep up with the AI:stunned: infact with the AI climbing at too slow an ASI it is quite possible to climb faster than them by keeping up airspeed and weaving infront of them.
I agree it is hard to fly totally accurate formation with them in a climb, but again by flying very smoothly , with a well trimmed plane, below FTH you can use boost overide (carefully) to keep up or try to catch back up- half the trick is not to get behind in the first place, and if you do keep a slightly higher airspeed by not pointing nose skywards so much.

If you want you could try watching this track (25mb!) of a climb to 22k, recorded in TF4.0- I suggest allowing view change. At ~8k and 16k I get behind a little and show how you can gain this back a little. Use of boost and temps doesn't seem to be totally replicated- temps were certainly higher (~114 max iirc at~10k).
I also don't go for proper position in blue section till well established in the climb at ~10k
http://www.mediafire.com/download/mmyll98ae74hppu/climb.rar
Above ~17k it's very hard to gain on them, partic as they level out and accelerate - but that's another story:D

Also, when flying as a squad leader, is there any way to tell your wingmen/other

Use a 'far spacing' command shortly before landing- if you time it right they are too busy spacing away from you to follow too closely and thus avoid flying into the ground.

zionid
Dec-15-2013, 17:52
Thanks for the reply. I'll have a look at the track:)

1lokos
Dec-15-2013, 19:22

"History": In the original CloD (alpha) release, commands for AI have many options, but as all us (should) know, nothing work weel...
So MG adopt the "flat tire"* aproach to solve this issue, and remove all broken commands instead fix then. :stunned:

Now you only control AI formation and closure, and some times command attack agaist target in your visual range.

How landings work? Only Ground Control control landings, when planes enter on capture radius of airfied, you not.

AI landing only by orders of Ground Control and only in airfield set in mission.

And the guy that program this are adept of "Reverse Order Seite"... and program formations landing from the hight number to the lower, e.g. #6, #5...#1. (same order is used for spawn points).

If you are the lformation leader (#1) you are the last to landing.

But if you want ignore tower and landing first (or in another airfield), on final approach leg order AI to spread out (Tab-6-5 = Far Formation), so they dont crash near you as you landing. When you stop on runway you became invisible to AI, and they continue under Ground Control orders.

Sokol1