PDA

View Full Version : I wanted to like the game.

Frache
Nov-02-2011, 23:20
Battlefeild 3

But there isn't a tactical bone in this game. The game play is way too fast and the maps are entirely too cluttered. I played BFBC2 and was expecting something that was a tad more realistic and its is basicly a clone. It actually feels faster.

I am not a great FPS'er but man game is all about spawn die repeat. FPS games are just getting worse and worse. I played Arma 2 and felt the same way in the opposite direction. So real they sucked the fun out of it.

Anyway thats my rant. You are now warned. :laugh:

ATAG_Trumps
Nov-03-2011, 06:19
i have been keeping a bit of an eye on BF3 as a mate of mine has been banging on about it and how it was going to be great, but shall consider myself forwarned. i personally am a big fan of ARMA II CO, with a couple of addons, i am a member of a squad and find it to be a fantastic game when when played online, the tactics and strategy involved plus the fact that everyone has a role to play really creates an immersive game world. i would put it in the same category as CloD, single player is a pretty empty experience, online is fantastic but when you add teamspeak, and the fact that if you work as a team accurate and historically correct proceedures and tactics can be used, this to me is
the ultimate pat on the back for any sim type game.

Cheers
Craig

ChiefRedCloud
Nov-03-2011, 08:53
I'm wading in here with my thoughts on both BF3 and ArmA 2/Operation Arrowhead. First at Frache .... BF3 is a pretty "GAME" but it is and never will be a "COMBAT SIMULATOR" such as ARMA 2. This statment is a no brainer if you know both programs.

I allowed myself to be snookered into BF3 whith high hopes that things would have changed. They haven't. Everyone uses BF2 as a bench mark of how things use to be in the BattleField series. But I strongly disagree in the fact that only the first in the series actually had any real worth. Though I did have fun in most of them simply to be playing with gjys and gals I knew.

Dice cut it's teath as a modding group with BF 1942 when they created the modern desert series. It had bugs but not so much that hendered play. It was a great time of LARGE maps and LARGE play potentual.

But todays BF series is but a console port (for the most part). Dice mentioned in an interview that even though it was porported that BF3 would be developed exclusively on the PC, that indeed they transfered to the console in the end for most of the development. Is this a bad thing? I guess this is a matter of opinion.

There is no real TEAM play that I can see on BF3. You can cordinate well enough if you work at it, and it may very well be possible. I've just yet to see it. I've enjoyed playing BF3 with people here and in my AGE clan. But I can't say I've enjoyed playing BF3.

ArmA 2 & Operation Arrowhead ...... ArmA 2 is a SANDBOX Combat Simulator. Most of the folks I've played with from my AGE clan have complained mainly about ArmA because there is no instant gratifcation, i.e. Run-N-Gun rewards to it. It takes time, thought, and a concerned effort to accomplish a mission. Of course you can go in and bomb the hell out of a town if you choose. But if you use boots on the ground it will take you awhile to accomplish the mission.

ArmA to is a sandbox in that it gives you EVERYTHING you might need to simulate a ground combat situation. But like puzzle, you have to put it together to play it. In BF3 you just jump in and play, period. So now do you see why ArmA 2 is not as popular as BF3?

Bottom line ..... BF3 is a GAME ....... ArmA 2 is a Combat Simulator (a lite version of what real Armys use to train with).

There are Arcade flgiht games and there are Flight Simulators like CloD. In the end it's what fits your needs.

As I've said, I have had fun playing BF3 ..... But only for playing with the people I know, nothing else.

ATAG_WatchMan
Nov-03-2011, 18:17
I suppose that I enjoy BF3 for the reasons a lot of people dislike it. I needed a fast action, shoot anything that doesn't have your icon color sort of game. I'm by no means a fan of console type games but this game is just plain fun to play. :Grin:

After flying a sortie where successfully getting your plane off the ground, trimmed @ cruising altitude, navigating your way to a bomber stream, shooting down 1 and damaging another, getting back home and then successfully landing, BF3 is a nice change of pace for me.

:dthumb: Newb that's been repeatedly Pawned.

AKA: ATAG_WatchMan.

ChiefRedCloud
Nov-04-2011, 15:44
I have to admit I do enjoy it at times. And considering it is what it is, it's good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELwO-CMoDYI&feature=player_embedded

Vulgar
Nov-30-2011, 16:48
Getting back into gaming recently. I got bf3 and Call of Duty MW3, and just got ARMA 2 after seeing you guys discuss it here, thanks for spending my money. I couldn't resist!

I'll get the bad out of the way. I only play online, so that is what I will discuss.

COD MW3 has way to small of maps, just a bunch of kiddies running around in small circles shooting each other, no team play to speak of.

BF3, I like for getting into and getting some kills fast, as I do not always have a lot ot time to play. Has a bit of team play, but still mostly kiddies running around in larger circles looking for the back shot behind enemy lines, and oh yea, 15 snipers in a platoon. Aircraft are a joke, they have so much wrong stuff about the weapons, to much to bother to list. They claim realism, but practice fantasy. But it is fun to play, until you get tired of all the snipers and guys running up behind you because your team has no clue as to what team play is, no mutual or flank protection.

ARMA 2, I like it, but buggy, why are the most liked games always the buggiest! The only thing is you have to have time to do anything. Good for a day of playing, but if you have an hour and want some kills, BF3 is better. Have not played a lot, but did get my controllers set up and got some chopper time, mostly in the little bird, fun with those rockets and guns, and only need pilot to shoot.

Did some ground work, killed some of the opposition, took awhile to get controls setup the way I like them. I use a Z Engine gaming keyboard, and also set up my pedal toe brakes as the gas and brake for vehicles, and joystick for the tank cannon.

Overall fun as it does take some teamwork, all the components need to come together for a good assault. The game has a ways to go, kinda like CLOD. The fm on the choppers is not that good, or the a10. Typical for any game that is primarily ground based. Would love to see one with good fm and proper controls and instruments.

I tried a few maneuvers with the Apache, that I have seen done in real life, but all it did was mush into the ground not enough lift. No rudder authority with more than a little speed, same with the a10. I suppose they did it that way as most fps players do not have the controllers like we do and use a mouse.

Kinda fun for me, as I was a Grunt in the 82nd Airborne back in the early 80's. I was a m60 gunner, did some shrubbery trimming in central america, gota love cutting down tree's and knocking back the foliage laying down some lead! 5.56 is about worthless in the jungle, long live 7.62!

MajorBorris
Mar-06-2012, 16:42
Funny but I think I have seen Frache on BF3 more than CoD lately:bgsmile:

Gunslinger1127
Mar-15-2012, 13:47
Ok if you want a realistic game get BF2 and the project reality mod they made it realistic but just right that it's still fun. The community is fun and nice. ( To me at least) Just dont go around tking people and destroying assets (Cars and heli ect..) You should be fine just listen to your squad leader tell them you are new and they should help if they dont you can always add me on xfire and I will gadly teach you the basics.
I've been playing this game for 5 years and its unbelievably addicting