PDA

View Full Version : Lympne - How do you pronounce it then?

Dutch
Nov-04-2011, 13:27
Hello chaps,

Lympne has been causing some fun on TS, as no-one I've spoken to so far knows how it's pronounced.

Neither did I, which is a bit embarrassing as I'm English myself.

Here's a link;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/kent/content/articles/2007/06/07/places_pronunciation_feature.shtml

So it's pronounced 'Limm' - although for the fun of it, I think we should stick to Dawg's version - Limp pony!

ATAG_JTDawg
Nov-04-2011, 15:02
:huh: Limp Pony it is!

ATAG_Snapper
Nov-04-2011, 19:28
Ah, all these years I've pronounced it "Limp Knee" incorrectly. Well, better than "Limp Dick", I suppose!

ATAG_Bliss
Nov-05-2011, 00:20
Ah, all these years I've pronounced it "Limp Knee" incorrectly. Well, better than "Limp Dick", I suppose!

Yes, much better than "Limp Dick". :laugh:

Very interesting topic though. I had no idea how it was actually pronounced.

ATAG_Torian
Nov-05-2011, 22:19
Why don't we just simplify it to "that base on the coast just south of Hawkinge
where u can get a Hurricane" ? Thats easy enuff to remember :Grin:

ATAG_Bliss
Nov-05-2011, 23:06
Now say that fast 10 times in a row :laugh:

ATAG_Jeepy
Nov-07-2011, 05:33
Aw...Totally confused now!
I`ll stick to Dawg`s Pony.. :laugh:

ATAG_EvangelusE
Nov-22-2011, 19:05
I wouldn't be suprised if the USA didn't have a town called Lympne, considering all the other towns and places that have the same names as here in the UK. Might be called 'New Lympne' though.....:)

BTW, I love to hear our cousins on the other side of the pond when they call out landmarks.....just one thing though, there isn't an island off Dover, it's a graphic bug that may well disappear sometime and wouldn't want you getting all confused if it does.

ChiefRedCloud
Nov-23-2011, 12:55
BTW, I love to hear our cousins on the other side of the pond when they call out landmarks.....just one thing though, there isn't an island off Dover, it's a graphic bug that may well disappear sometime and wouldn't want you getting all confused if it does.

WHAT! :eek: I use the island for a land mark :inq: Hummmmmmmm

ATAG_Lewis
Aug-30-2014, 13:59
Click the blue play button on the map...

http://www.forvo.com/word/lympne/

ATAG_Flare
Aug-30-2014, 14:09
God! I always thought it was Limp-Knee as well!

3./JG51_Heiden
Aug-30-2014, 15:28
LIMM????

I'm still going to call it Limp-Nee.

Roblex
Sep-02-2014, 16:35
Correct.

Lympne = 'Limm'
Folkstone = 'Fokeston'
Tangmere = 'Tang-meer'
Bekesbourne (aka Canterbury) = Beaks-born
Shoreham = Shore-um (most towns ending in 'ham' pronounce it closer to 'um' with perhaps a hint of an 'h' at the front so Nottingham becomes 'Notting-um' for example and Buckingham Palace becomes 'Bucking-um Palace' and even the toffs pronounce it Buckinghum at best)

If any Yanks think English town names are weird then maybe they can explain Kansas and Arkansas :-P Of course we do have some doozies in England such the village near me spelled Trottiscliffe but pronounced 'Trosley' :-)

Across the ditch we also have:-

Le Touquet = 'Le Too-Kay'
Boulougne = 'Buh-loyn' or sometimes 'Boo-loyn'
Coquelles = 'cok-ell'

Otyg
Sep-02-2014, 17:41
why cant you just spell it as you say it? :)

9./JG52 Mindle
Sep-02-2014, 17:50
Lympne with a silent 'p'. A silent 'p' is important guys when you have been drinking and the wife has hogged the bathroom and all you have left as an option is the garden! Come on, we've all done it! :)

Dutch
Sep-02-2014, 19:19
most towns ending in 'ham' pronounce it closer to 'um' with perhaps a hint of an 'h' at the front so Nottingham becomes 'Notting-um' for example and Buckingham Palace becomes 'Bucking-um Palace'.

Not to mention 'Blen-um' palace, the Battle of 'Blen-um' and of course, the Bristol 'Blen-um'.

Get it right, you damned colonials.

Hello again, by the way. :D

ATAG_Snapper
Sep-02-2014, 19:24
Not to mention 'Blen-um' palace, the Battle of 'Blen-um' and of course, the Bristol 'Blen-um'.

Get it right, you damned colonials.

Hello again, by the way. :D

Dutch is back. :salute:

Dutch
Sep-02-2014, 19:31
Dutch is back. :salute:

Allo mate. How goes the menagerie? Heh. :)

ATAG_Septic
Sep-02-2014, 19:47
Hiya Dutch me owd China.

Septic.

Dutch
Sep-02-2014, 20:04
Wotcha Septic, how are the corns? Did you sue that chiropodist? :D

Baffin
Sep-02-2014, 21:49
Correct.

Lympne = 'Limm'
Folkstone = 'Fokeston'
Tangmere = 'Tang-meer'
Bekesbourne (aka Canterbury) = Beaks-born
Shoreham = Shore-um (most towns ending in 'ham' pronounce it closer to 'um' with perhaps a hint of an 'h' at the front so Nottingham becomes 'Notting-um' for example and Buckingham Palace becomes 'Bucking-um Palace' and even the toffs pronounce it Buckinghum at best)

If any Yanks think English town names are weird then maybe they can explain Kansas and Arkansas :-P Of course we do have some doozies in England such the village near me spelled Trottiscliffe but pronounced 'Trosley' :-)

Across the ditch we also have:-

Le Touquet = 'Le Too-Kay'
Boulougne = 'Buh-loyn' or sometimes 'Boo-loyn'
Coquelles = 'cok-ell'

Don't forget Hawk-Hinge!

ATAG_Freya
Sep-02-2014, 23:04
What about Oye-Plage? ....oil plack...oyee-play-jah...oyay-play-gah...O-P?

PS. Welcome back Du-tch!

ATAG_Lolsav
Sep-02-2014, 23:09
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-IT05CYdhI

JG4_sKylon
Sep-03-2014, 01:13
Ladies, stop this anglo american mumble.... learn german, the clearest and crispiest language on the planet... speak as spelled :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ4BieiVfvk

EG14_Marcast
Sep-03-2014, 03:29
Ladies, stop this anglo american mumble.... learn german, the clearest and crispiest language on the planet... speak as spelled :)

roflmao

Baffin
Sep-03-2014, 07:20
I need a kleenex! Can't stop laughing! :glaughter:

Dutch
Sep-04-2014, 18:10
What about Oye-Plage? ....oil plack...oyee-play-jah...oyay-play-gah...O-P?

PS. Welcome back Du-tch!

Danke schoen, mein alter Knickerbocker glory. Es tut mir leid, aber ich habe nicht Deutsch genug, um seiner frage besten zu answeren.

'Oy-yay plarzh'. Ja. Ich denke das die Englaender muss der wort so sprechen.

Oh bollox to that , I'll say it auf Englisch. 'Oy! Yay! Plarge!'

Dort muss die Englische menschen der worten gespricht musse habt, sofort.

(With many apologies to our German friends. I stopped learning German.... ooooh, quite a few months ago :D )

JG4_sKylon
Sep-05-2014, 01:13
Dort muss die Englische menschen der worten gespricht musse habt, sofort.

:sign16:

I have no idea what it means, but spoken loud it sounds pretty cool. Almost like Charlie Chaplin playing the Dictator.

Osprey
Sep-05-2014, 05:14
Hello chaps,

Lympne has been causing some fun on TS, as no-one I've spoken to so far knows how it's pronounced.

Neither did I, which is a bit embarrassing as I'm English myself.

Here's a link;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/kent/content/articles/2007/06/07/places_pronunciation_feature.shtml

So it's pronounced 'Limm' - although for the fun of it, I think we should stick to Dawg's version - Limp pony!

Indeed, locals pronounce it "Lim" "Limm" and despite my best attempts to educate our online pilots it's still mis-pronounced.

Coming up on Sesame Street we deal with the places Cap-Gris-Nez and Dungeness. :D

Chuck_Owl
Sep-05-2014, 05:24
Indeed, locals pronounce it "Lim" "Limm" and despite my best attempts to educate our online pilots it's still mis-pronounced.

Coming up on Sesame Street we deal with the places Cap-Gris-Nez and Dungeness. :D

Cap Gree Nay.

The next time I hear "Cap grease kneezz" I'm going to flip my table like this stick dude.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130506110743/adventuretimewithfinnandjake/images/thumb/2/2d/Flip_table_dag_nab_it!.jpg/266px-Flip_table_dag_nab_it!.jpg

JG4_sKylon
Sep-05-2014, 07:17
Cap Gree Nay.

The next time I hear "Cap grease kneezz" I'm going to flip my table like this stick dude.

It´s painful if you don´t have enough "grease behind your kneezcap"...:recon:

Nightdare
Sep-07-2014, 21:40
I cringe every time I hear: "Le Harve"

Though in defense, I always wonder why it's pronounced "Worster" instead of "Worcestershire" :D

Osprey
Sep-15-2014, 12:26
There are some great counties here to trick the foreigners. I live in Gloucestershire and it's not pronounced "Glow-sester-shyer" but "Glostersheer". When you see the 'cester' just ignore it, so Leicestershire is Lestersheer, Worcestershire is Wustersheer/Wostersheer (more of a 'wuh'). Then there are loads more like like Warwickshire is Warricksheer, Lincolnshire is Linkonsheer, Peterborough is Peterbruh, Suffolk is Suffuk yadda yadda yadda, 2000 years of culture and invasion to create that language, probably more.

Otyg
Sep-15-2014, 15:59
so how do you pronounce this then?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3128/2574464834_59ee5043de.jpg
(worcestershire)

Roblex
Sep-15-2014, 16:31
so how do you pronounce this then?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3128/2574464834_59ee5043de.jpg
(worcestershire)

Woostersher

Otyg
Sep-15-2014, 16:41
Woostersher

Thank you. i love that stuff!! made my own beef jerky with it and some habanero/garlic/honey.. good stuff.

Osprey
Sep-16-2014, 07:35
I wrote that in my post,

Worcestershire is Wustersheer/Wostersheer (more of a 'wuh').

But in England we don't call it that, we shorten it to "Wuhster sauce"

Otyg
Sep-16-2014, 09:48
I wrote that in my post,

Worcestershire is Wustersheer/Wostersheer (more of a 'wuh').

But in England we don't call it that, we shorten it to "Wuhster sauce"

indeed you did. my bad.. but i have to blame it on my brain got slightly broken of reading all the weird names in your post :-P