PDA

View Full Version : Controls freezing up in game

zuma75
Dec-29-2013, 18:44
I had posted a few weeks ago about my Saitek X36 throttle loosing recognition in game. That seems to be an issue with the X36 and windows 8, as sometimes it is just frozen up in Devices and Printers and I need to unplug and replug it for it to work. It always worked fine in Rise of Flight after unplugging and replugging, but never in CLOD. It would freeze and I would have to wiggle it back and forth to get it to work again, or just freeze for good until I exited and unplugged and replugged it. It's an old stick/throttle so no 64 bit drivers availabe. Widows does recognize it as what it is though. Now on to my new problem.

My wife bought me a CH Pro Throttle and CH Throttle quadrant for Christmas to replace the Saitek X36. Windows recognizes them fine and I never loose them in Devices and Printers. When I'm in game though the same thing happens. Both the the Pro Throttle and Throttle quadrant both freeze up and I have to move them back and forth several times to get them to work again. I never loose the MFFB2 of CH Pro Pedals though. Sometimes it takes a bit before they work again. In Rise of Flight I don't have the problem. Nothing freezes there, only in CLOD. That makes me think it's something with CLOD.

My hardware is; AS Rock H-61 Mobo, Intel i5 4750k, 8GB ram, GeForce GTX660, windows 8.1 fully updated, USB HUB (I tried bypassing HUB and same thing) CH Control Manager properly installed for windows 8 after connecting controllers, all controllers calibrated.

Has anyone else had problems like this in windows 8 or 8.1? Please help, it's killing the game for me!

ATAG_Snapper
Dec-29-2013, 19:37
Hmm, to a much lesser degree I've had the CH Quadrant not respond after I've spawned in. A quick unplug/replug into the USB port while still ingame has "awakened" this unit. This has only happened to me since I started using Windows 8/8.1 (new PC), but it's been very infrequent and the fix was easy on my system.

zuma75
Dec-29-2013, 21:23
Snapper, I just did quite a bit more testing. It seems the problem happens only when I pause the game and make changes to the settings and then go back in. I'm just getting back into flight simming after a long hiatus, and have been really messing around with different setups. I just flew for about an hour without a single problem, then paused, changed a couple of buttons, not even axis ones, went back in, and a couple of minutes later the controls aren't responding. Must be some kind of bug like with the force feedback going out when you go to options and then back in. You have to pull some high g move to get force feedback back. It never does this if I pause it in Rise of Flight. No big deal though if it stays like this! It should work fine as long as I don't change settings once on a mission. I can live with it while setting everything up.

I'm going to give it a few more days testing to be sure. If everything holds up I think I'll return the CH Pro Throttle, as I love the trim wheels on the Saitek X36! That will give me $100 to spend on other goodies! I really like all the levers on the throttle Quadrant though! I'll post again in a few days with my results.

zuma75
Dec-29-2013, 23:35
Well I was wrong. It must have been just a run of good luck, lol! It's still doing it even from a fresh start of the game and not going into options. Sometimes just one lever on the Throttle Quadrant will work, sometimes none. Sometimes they come back for a bit after moving them only to go out again. I never loose a single control in Rise of Flight though. The problem must be CLOD specific. Very frustrating. There is no way I can play like this. Back to the drawing board.

Maltloaf1
Dec-30-2013, 04:13
I am sure you have this covered but do you have the 'anthropomorphic??' box checked in the settings? Your problem sounds similar to one I had. It only allows two inputs and if one controller is still sending a signal even though you are not moving it, it blocks the use of the other inputs and it appears like the device is not working. Just a thought

Maltloaf

LuseKofte
Dec-30-2013, 04:50
Start your game, and open Options / realism and switch off Anthropomorphic Control. Then everything will be ok. it is the 3. line in main

zuma75
Dec-30-2013, 10:07
Matloaf1 and LG1.Jaeger, I bet that is the cause. I think I have everything checked in the realism section. That makes sense as to why it always recognizes just the joystick and rudder pedals. I never knew about this. I will test when I get home from work and post my results. Thanks for your help!

zuma75
Dec-30-2013, 18:35
That was the problem! Thank you again Matloaf1 and LG1.Jaeger! Not a single issue after unchecking Anthropomorphic Control. After reading up on how it works, it seems that if your controls are sending out small pulses, as most axis type levers and knobs do, it thinks you've got your hands in multiple places which you couldn't do in a real aircraft. It then temporarily immobilizes some controls. It's seems like a good idea for realism, but just doesn't work well with the types of controllers we all use. Now I can actually get some practice and look forward to flying online soon! I just hope Anthropomorphic Control is unchecked on most full realism servers or I won't be able to join them with my controllers.

ATAG_Septic
Dec-31-2013, 06:29
Hi Jaeger,

This is perhaps taken for granted by many of us 'veterans', as with ensuring the epilepsy filter is off. We should perhaps ensure these settings are included in Lewis's excellent beginners guide (they may be but I've just looked and didn't see them).

Thanks for pointing this out here.

Septic. :salute:

Start your game, and open Options / realism and switch off Anthropomorphic Control. Then everything will be ok. it is the 3. line in main

zuma75
Dec-31-2013, 12:29
Excellent idea Septic! It would have saved me countless hours of trouble shooting and re-installations! Good thing for the people on the ATAG forum, as I was stumped on this one!

ATAG_Snapper
Dec-31-2013, 12:58
Excellent idea Septic! It would have saved me countless hours of trouble shooting and re-installations! Good thing for the people on the ATAG forum, as I was stumped on this one!

Done!

Apologies, Zuma, for forcing you to go through all that. :doh:

As Septic indicates, it's been almost three years since Cliffs of Dover was first released, so this problem was identified a long time ago and unfortunately no longer comes top of mind. Some day we'll get the Anthromorphic option deleted, as well as in the video section the Epilepsy Filter which is equally useless.

:)

Maltloaf1
Jan-02-2014, 07:09
Hi Zuma

Glad it is all sorted and it wasn't a kit problem. You are welcome, happy someone benefited from my experiences when it effected my system. I don't really see why it is in there at all as most real cockpits allow multiple inputs. For instance I fly with a fairly realistic cockpit setup and can adust trottle and pitch at the same time as using the joy stick. It is why the designers put the two controls in the same place. Add the rudders and brakes and you could be doing four inputs as well as the joystick. The anthropomorphic control would prevent this but it is perfectly valid. It is a bit like the P8 compass being so difficult to read unless you have Device Link in so much as, in striving for realism you make it unrealistic. Sorry, getting off topic. Happy flying!

Maltloaf