PDA

View Full Version : Hello and =-S-=

Vonov
Nov-10-2011, 00:51
I'm Vonov, of JS_109; we're transplants, formerly of Air Warrior, Fighter Ace, and Wings of Prey...been flying flight sims since the very first Commodore 64 games came out, and have some real world stick time, though never got my ASEL due to a really nasty divorce. First off, I'd like to thank ATAG for the fun I've had on their Cliffs server, and then make you guys aware of a problem you may or may not be aware of. SOMETHING about the server is just killing both the frame rates and connectivity. I played tonight on it, and got launcher errors at least six or seven times over a 2 1/2 hour period. I have high-speed cable, an HD6970 2gb card, on a crossfire mobo, w/4gb of DDR3 system memory, and an AMD 955 Black quad-core processor. The biggest bottleneck on my system is the hard drive (it's SATA instead of solid state) and I could use a bit more system memory. At 1776 x 1000 resolution w/"pseudo" fullscreen, AA off, VSYNC off, shadows off, and most everything set to more or less medium settings except for higher settings on plane details and damage, I was getting frame rates in the 70's, occasionally dropping 20 FPS into the low 50's, with the occasional microfreeze, and the aforementioned launcher errors, sometimes occurring in as little as 30 seconds after hitting "create". I went to Sin, er, Sim Outhouse's server, with approximately the same ping, without making ANY change, and frame rates jumped to a very stable 130 to 133 FPS, with skins and external views enabled. Could it be the number of ground/sea objects being rendered in ATAG? I immensely enjoy playing on your server, because of the atmosphere and the people, but as it stands right now, the server is almost unplayable for me. =-S-=
Vonov

ATAG_Bliss
Nov-10-2011, 01:10
Hi Vonov,

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

To answer your questions: We do have a very large amount of objects, AAA, and AI planes. I'm fairly certain it's far greater (probably at least double the amount) than other servers.

But, has this always happened to you on our server? (crashing / low FPS etc?) We have not added/removed objects for several weeks now. It is constantly modified, but it's more for bug fixing atm, than modifying the mission.

Please let us know.

Thanks

Vonov
Nov-10-2011, 01:16
Hi Vonov,

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

To answer your questions: We do have a very large amount of objects, AAA, and AI planes. I'm fairly certain it's far greater (probably at least double the amount) than other servers.

But, has this always happened to you on our server? (crashing / low FPS etc?) We have not added/removed objects for several weeks now. It is constantly modified, but it's more for bug fixing atm, than modifying the mission.

Please let us know.

Thanks
It's always been that way to a certain extent, but tonight was particularly bad; I lowered my resolution somewhat in an effort to cope, but it hasn't helped. My wingman, Vonmo, was experiencing the same thing; his system is similar to mine. In one dogfight, ATAG_Torian's wingman shot me down, got shot down in his turn, and IIRC, got the disconnect as soon as he hit the water. The fact that I was getting virtually double the framerates on the other server was what got me wondering; I flew on that one smooth as silk, with no disconnects or launcher errors for about forty minutes; FPS was rock steady.

ATAG_Bliss
Nov-11-2011, 10:33
It's always been that way to a certain extent, but tonight was particularly bad; I lowered my resolution somewhat in an effort to cope, but it hasn't helped. My wingman, Vonmo, was experiencing the same thing; his system is similar to mine. In one dogfight, ATAG_Torian's wingman shot me down, got shot down in his turn, and IIRC, got the disconnect as soon as he hit the water. The fact that I was getting virtually double the framerates on the other server was what got me wondering; I flew on that one smooth as silk, with no disconnects or launcher errors for about forty minutes; FPS was rock steady.

Well, the only thing I can say about FPS is, it is a compromise. You either have a map with hardly any objects/action and your FPS will be fairly high. But you gotta remember FPS goes down from other players as well.

I flew around last night for around 4 hours and never suffered anything other than what I would consider normal (normal for me is a crash every 45 minutes).. And the server was smooth as silk. Granted I do have a very good PC.

One thing I have been messing with is the netspeed. Try settings yours to 8000 in the conf.ini in your documents/1csoft folder. I've been adjusting it on the server and trying to find the sweet spot.

Hope this helps. :salute:

MajorBorris
Nov-11-2011, 13:58
Bliss makes a very important point.

It may be smooth as butter on a small map that has very little or no objectives/ai bomber formations but that may not be what your looking for if you used to like airwarrior, sence controllable vehicles and huge bomber formations are all ready in here or will be in the near future(vehicles)

Dont get it wrong the, 6970 is a powerful card but even a gtx580 3 gb doesnt max the game(maybe with optimization in the future) so lowering the right settings will help.

Jump on coms with us and we will see if we can get that 6970 humming:go:

Vonov
Nov-13-2011, 13:27
Well, the only thing I can say about FPS is, it is a compromise. You either have a map with hardly any objects/action and your FPS will be fairly high. But you gotta remember FPS goes down from other players as well.

I flew around last night for around 4 hours and never suffered anything other than what I would consider normal (normal for me is a crash every 45 minutes).. And the server was smooth as silk. Granted I do have a very good PC.

One thing I have been messing with is the netspeed. Try settings yours to 8000 in the conf.ini in your documents/1csoft folder. I've been adjusting it on the server and trying to find the sweet spot.

Hope this helps. :salute:
Hi, Bliss...found two folders there, one conf, and one confs; both have speed settings; which one needs to be altered, or am I looking at the wrong ones altogether? =_S_=

ATAG_Bliss
Nov-13-2011, 17:31
Sorry about that.. I should have been more specific.

The file you're looking for is conf.ini. Change the one in your steam folder for IL2COD.

Vonov
Nov-13-2011, 18:18
Sorry about that.. I should have been more specific.

The file you're looking for is conf.ini. Change the one in your steam folder for IL2COD.

LOL...that one REALLY confused me, until I realized I had file extensions set as not displayed. Thank you, sir!