PDA

View Full Version : Fix for your light problems?

fleX
Dec-31-2013, 10:00
For me, the windows in the room where my computer sits are terribly situated for my TrackIR 5.

I've had a lot of issues of a bright bar of light coming through the blinds and creating another 'light source' in the TIR software, causing the head tracking to go haywire.
I've spoken to a couple people on TS and found that it is a problem with a couple of you as well.
Even with the filters set high, there can still be anomalies.

There is also the problem of getting glare on the monitor and losing those specs of pixels on the horizon that you've been tracking.

The sensible thing would be to hang blackout curtains.
However, as a renter, I can't drill the holes to hold a curtain rod without permission and it seems like a hassle, considering how my landlord barely fixes major issues.

So far, I've tried to hang dark towels over the roman blinds, but they aren't long or wide enough to cover 100% of the windows and I'm concerned I might break the blinds with the amount of towels needed to cover the gaps.
I've also tried cardboard, but it doesn't look that good and it's hard to get it to stand up properly.

Today, I found a company that makes a reusable blackout cover that has a mild adhesive and sticks to the window frame.
It will block out the light without making a permanent change to the structure (yay, no withheld deposit)

http://www.blackoutez.com/

Not sure if they can ship overseas, as they are East Coast US-based. No mention is made on the site.

However, it looks like their product is just a heavy-duty vinyl with adhesive velcro tape, so I'm sure you don't have to get it from those guys specifically.
A bloke with little-to-no DIY experience might be able to knock a homemade version together in no time on-the-cheap.

Just something to think about for those with the problems I described above.
Certainly not a 'game-changer', but it might help somebody, so I thought I'd share what I found.

~S!~

f l e X `

**Note** I do not intend to advertise a certain brand and will gladly remove the link or entire post if it breaches decorum.

Edit - Perhaps this should be moved, I wrote in the wrong section of the forums, it seems. Oops.

Combat Wombat
Jan-01-2014, 01:42
Recommend if you use this product that you replace the tape that comes with it with sticky double sided Velcro that way you can just use a small amount in each corner rather than running tape all-round . just a thought :salute: