PDA

View Full Version : Campaign References after new install?

dburne
Jan-04-2014, 14:27
Hey gang,

So talking about my new install of Cliffs in another thread has got me thinking, regarding the campaigns I had installed.

When I built this new system couple of weeks ago, I did a fresh new install of vanilla Cliffs through Steam, then I updated it with the appropriate TF mods up to TF4 now.
I had used Windows Easy Transfer, to transfer my documents and settings from the old system, to this new one. Therefore the files that were in my 1C Softclub folder under documents, are all there as they were in the old system.
So I have all my graphics/controller settings as I had them, worked great. Cliffs runs very well on this new system.

But what about any campaigns I had installed? I know there is still reference to them I guess in the campaign file as I see them in the Menu, but I would not have all the necessary files for these with this new install correct? What should I do about this, make changes in the campaign file itself to remove those references and then re-install the ones I want? Granted I have not tried loading up those campaigns since doing this new install, but I figure they would be not quite right anyway if I did?

There was one also that consisted of just several single missions, I see those still in my single missions menu as well.

Thanks for any tips, on getting this where it should be, I want this new install to be as clean as it can be. I am just waiting for 4.01 to fix the AI and grab the new campaigns from Bolox and Heinkill.

bolox
Jan-04-2014, 16:19
by the campaign file I presume you mean the campaigns.ini file located in ..//your install/parts/bob/mission/campaign
This will(should) have been 'reset' by the Steam reverify to the 2 default campaigns (Gb and De). If you have installed Redux campaigns using these slots the mission files etc will have been restored.
Any Files in separate d/l campaigns folders don't get changed by a verify- but a complete fresh install will not have them.

In the 'my docs' area there are 2 folders- missions and mission- note how 1 doesn't have an S.
Missions contains single (and any MP) missions saved/dl'd.
Mission is used by campaigns- a copy of the folder name exactly the same as in parts.. section is required to enable the campaign progress to be kept in a 'State.ini' file. Campaigns such as Redux also store any 'scores' in a file here also
If you transfer proggy did it's job correctly these should all be present

I know there is still reference to them I guess in the campaign file as I see them in the Menu
This bit confuses me as I can't see how this could be with a fresh install. I would look at the campaigns.ini file and see how many campaigns are listed in it

However, in theory, if you reinstall all your campaigns back into main game directory, and have campaigns.ini set right, all the folders in the documents section should still be there- infact scores should have been kept aswell as progress. (this does assume you install the files manually- if you use campaign installer there is a chance files might get overwritten)

If you restart a campaign the score/progress are 'wiped' on starting the first mission of a campaign (ie clicking NEW)

Hope this helps

dburne
Jan-04-2014, 17:04
by the campaign file I presume you mean the campaigns.ini file located in ..//your install/parts/bob/mission/campaign
This will(should) have been 'reset' by the Steam reverify to the 2 default campaigns (Gb and De). If you have installed Redux campaigns using these slots the mission files etc will have been restored.
Any Files in separate d/l campaigns folders don't get changed by a verify- but a complete fresh install will not have them.

In the 'my docs' area there are 2 folders- missions and mission- note how 1 doesn't have an S.
Missions contains single (and any MP) missions saved/dl'd.
Mission is used by campaigns- a copy of the folder name exactly the same as in parts.. section is required to enable the campaign progress to be kept in a 'State.ini' file. Campaigns such as Redux also store any 'scores' in a file here also
If you transfer proggy did it's job correctly these should all be present

This bit confuses me as I can't see how this could be with a fresh install. I would look at the campaigns.ini file and see how many campaigns are listed in it

However, in theory, if you reinstall all your campaigns back into main game directory, and have campaigns.ini set right, all the folders in the documents section should still be there- infact scores should have been kept aswell as progress. (this does assume you install the files manually- if you use campaign installer there is a chance files might get overwritten)

If you restart a campaign the score/progress are 'wiped' on starting the first mission of a campaign (ie clicking NEW)

Hope this helps

Yes in parts/bob/mission/campaign folder I am sure those are reset - I show a campaign de, a campaign gb, and a campaigns.ini file , the contents of which is below:
[Main]
campaign_gb
campaign_de

[campaign_gb]
folder campaign_gb
title Cliffs Of Dover
image Poster.bmp

[campaign_de]
folder campaign_de
title Adler Angriff
image Poster.bmp

Now in the doc folders, they will have what I originally had in them from the old system, as they were just transferred over:

Under the Mission folder I have 3 folders :
Campaign ( Has campaign de, campaign gb, and Spitfire Dawn Ver2.) Campaign de is empty, Campaign GB has a state.ini file, and Spitfire Dawn ver 1.02 has a state.ini file).

Hun in the Sun has a campaign folder with it's state.inci files.

Quick just has what appears some default quick missions.

Now on to the Missions folder:

Under it, it has two folders - Multi, and Single.
Multi has what appears to be two folders - co-op and dogfight - I am sure they are probably default as I do not fly multiplayer.

Single - Looks like the single quick missions, along with some I had downloaded.

Sorry for all the above, hoping to give a clear picture of my situation with this new install.

Like I said I want it to be as clean as possible, so if I need to get rid of any of this and start over with new installs of campaigns and missions I do not mind at all. I just don't know if the main install directory has files it may need for any of the above? Not sure what all gets installed where in campaigns and missions that I download.

Thanks for any tips,

bolox
Jan-05-2014, 00:56
If you REALLY want to start clean the you could 'reset' your single missions:-
if yo go to main (steam) game directory you will find a 'missions' folder. This contains the default missions supplied with game.
Co-op and dogfight contains default MP missions supplied with game.

campaigns.ini looks good- this is THE important file for campaigns and apart from the folders containing the actual missions/briefings. These are the only relevant files in main directory (Desastersoft campaigns excepted- they do some other 'clever' stuff)

Basically, when you install a campaign (REDUX excepted-see below), you are adding a folder with missions etc to ../parts/bob/mission/campaign/. You also have to update the campaigns ini with references to the new campaign.
Then in the 'docs' section you need to create a folder (named EXACTLY the same) in....../mission/campaign. This allows the game to create the progress/scores files to keep track of progress.

REDUX campaigns are simpler in that the just change the mission/briefing files in the ( 'parts' section). As they 'reuse' the same folders there is no need to edit the campaigns.ini or make new folders

Get flying and enjoy your rig:)

dburne
Jan-05-2014, 06:43
Ok I have gotten it reset to the original campaigns now in my docs folder, I kept some of the single missions I had downloaded and couple I had created and they appear to be working properly, other than that it is now reset and starting clean. All appear to be fine.

Now I am just waiting on 4.01, then I will fly the REDUX campaign again plus the new Malta when it is released and the new one you have out in beta now. Good times ahead for single player!

Many thanks for the help bolox!