PDA

View Full Version : 1st Annual Bomber Night: Stuka Attack!!

9./JG52 Hans Gruber
Jan-05-2014, 18:15
In cooperation with ATAG, I am happy to announce the launch of a new series of community events to be run on ATAG servers. The first is the return of an old classic, bomber night. No AI allowed on this mission as it will all be about human flown bombers. There will be a limited amount of fighters for both red & blue .

Where: ATAG server #1

When: Saturday, January 11 @ 1400 EST - 1900 GMT - 2000 CET* *Encore day/times are possible

Objective: 2 large convoys are sailing through the Channel. Blue Ju 87 bombers are tasked with destroying these convoys as well as some secondary targets over a 4 hour period. Red fighters are tasked with defending their targets with the assistance of Chain Home RDF. Use of the ATAG TS is highly encouraged to create groups to attack & defend the targets. A more detailed briefing will be posted during the week.

Red planeset: (20 x SpitfireMkIa_100oct, HurricaneMkI_100oct)
Blue planeset: (12 x Bf-110C-4, Bf-109E-1, 20 x Bf-109E-4, Ju-87B-2)

At this time ATAG will not be password protecting the server for the event so it will be first come, first served. However, I firmly believe that anybody who wants to participate will be able to over the duration of the event. If this event is a success we will look towards growing it onto server #2 once it is freed from it's current testing duties.

If you are interested in participating and/or would like to help coordinate the attack or defense please post and let us know. However, I must emphasize that this is not a sign-up thread and we cannot guarantee spots for anybody. Also, we are looking for volunteers to help plan future events. Mission building & scripting experience would be a huge bonus but is not required. If interested please PM myself or Bliss.

Briefings:

Army Red

Stuka Attack v1.0

- Defend Convoy A in AU19. 15 tankers + 1 corvette sailing west.

- Defend Convoy B in AU27. 15 tankers + 1 corvette sailing east.

- Defend Chain Home stations at Pevensey (AR19.7), Rye (AT21.3), Dover (AX23.9), Canterbury (AX25.1), & Dunkirk (AU25.3).

Use Chain Home RDF to locate enemy aircraft.

Chain Home RDF instruction: Press Tab then 4. Mission then 1. Chain Home RDF. First, you must connect to a dispatch controller. Press 1. Select Dispatch Controller to see a list of controllers within range. Once conntected to a controller select option 2. Get Radar Contacts for a report which will display in the chat console. Avoid using the 0. Back option, use Tab to exit instead. Select different controllers for different coverage areas.

Army Blue

Primary Objectives

- Attack Convoy A in AU19. 15 tankers + 1 corvette sailing west.

- Attack Convoy B in AU27. 15 tankers + 1 corvette sailing east.

Secondary Objectives

- Attack Chain Home stations at Pevensey (AR19.7), Rye (AT21.3), Dover (AX23.9), Canterbury (AX25.1), & Dunkirk (AU25.3). Target the buildings at the base of the towers and the towers themselves. Pin point accuracy is required.

http://kepkezelo.com/images/tq5lqikukv28r0a4p6.jpg

ATAG_Bliss
Jan-05-2014, 18:49
Bomber boys get to practicing. :D

This is gonna be a whole lotta fun. Thanks Gruber :salute:

ATAG_Colander
Jan-05-2014, 18:59
:thumbsup: make sure you get many recordings!

9./JG52_J-HAT
Jan-05-2014, 19:19
Very nice initiative! Looking forward to it.

ATAG_Lolsav
Jan-05-2014, 19:48
Always loved Bomber Night at Warbirdsofprey. Hope this one to be a sucess too.

By default, because some guys were too worried about that, the stats were turned off during this mission, taking out the pressure for those who are making the "50 sorties". So, if that is possible i would like to request that to happen during that particular mission.

Oh boy, oh boy, i just hope i can make it!

Is TS mandatory?

III./ZG76_Saipan
Jan-05-2014, 21:57
sounds fun, I think some co-ordination might be needed for the blues, lets hope we can meet up on TS before start time and come up with a plan

LuseKofte
Jan-06-2014, 03:29
I am of and away for 14 days at work as another kind of joystick jockey by then :(

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/1186065_684635104898268_400448081_n.jpg

But I hope such an event will come later on. It is right in my alley, way to go Gruber :)

ATAG_Bliss
Jan-06-2014, 05:22
I am of and away for 14 days at work as another kind of joystick jockey by then :(

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/1186065_684635104898268_400448081_n.jpg

But I hope such an event will come later on. It is right in my alley, way to go Gruber :)

Hi Jaeger - quite the comfy office you have there :D

I grew up on a farm and have been around heavy equipment quite a bit. There's nothing quite like pulling levers ;)

I think the idea is to have this sort of thing pretty regularly so you'll have plenty of opportunity :salute:

Headshot
Jan-06-2014, 06:56
Nice office m8.:thumbsup:

LuseKofte
Jan-06-2014, 09:12
Actually I am possibly home due to delayed start after New year So I just might be able to ride this

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad32/finno2/Mobile%20Uploads/64B51410-63E0-4F8D-A863-2F5BB7915BB1_zpsiw2dbvm7.jpg

Saturday, "fingers crossed"

I might get my unit to join the venture

JG4_Widukind
Jan-06-2014, 11:43
We coming !

LG1.Klein
Jan-06-2014, 14:30
Damn. This weekend I have to play Army. Look forward to more of these type events though. Great idea Gruber/Bliss.

EG14_Marcast
Jan-07-2014, 02:57
I love this kind of events, but unfortunately I am often busy in weekends and this will be one of them :(. I am really looking forward to see more missions like this one.:thumbsup:

=vit_unit=
Jan-07-2014, 03:29
Cool. I'm in!

Cassius
Jan-07-2014, 06:07
1./StG129 preparing to take part!!!:salute:
On 8th January 8 pilots have already confirmed their participation on the Ju 87. I expect about 10 pilots Ju 87 from Sukhoi.ru, may be more...

VO101_Tom
Jan-07-2014, 18:50
In cooperation with ATAG, I am happy to announce the launch of a new series of community events to be run on ATAG servers. The first is the return of an old classic, bomber night. No AI allowed on this mission as it will all be about human flown bombers. There will be a limited amount of fighters for both red & blue.

Great news!
MKHL will be participating, but I don't know the pilot's numbers yet...
:salute:

LuseKofte
Jan-09-2014, 09:49
That is all right Tom, it is going to happened in a open server for 4 hours so there will be room and time for all. No pre order nessersery. Just fun

9./JG52 Hans Gruber
Jan-09-2014, 20:48
Please check the OP again for briefing information. See you on Saturday. :salute:

VO101_Tom
Jan-09-2014, 21:15
Map:

http://kepkezelo.com/images/tq5lqikukv28r0a4p6.jpg

ATAG_Bliss
Jan-09-2014, 22:27
Wow Tom - Thanks! That is fantastic :salute:

ATAG_JTDawg
Jan-10-2014, 00:22
Very nice initiative! Looking forward to it.

:thumbsup:

LuseKofte
Jan-10-2014, 01:54
I sure hope I got a slot for a couple of raids in a Stuka tomorrow. I look forward to this

Meaks
Jan-10-2014, 05:28
Great stuff guys,will hopefully join the party :salute:

Vlerkies
Jan-10-2014, 07:13
I tried the other day to take a back seat of a Stuka with a squady, failed though.

What is the procedure I need to follow to occupy a gunner position please?

LG1.Farber
Jan-10-2014, 08:07
Spawn nearby in another aircraft, then get in his gunner position. You also need to unlock the gun from its flight position, could be O but that might be my controls I have set.

LuseKofte
Jan-10-2014, 08:31
Well one player in front and one player in gun means two slots each stuka = 40 slots

Vlerkies
Jan-10-2014, 08:53
Thx Farber, will try it out.

ShumannTheDog
Jan-10-2014, 09:22
Nice job guys i will not miss this event.
S!

ATAG_Septic
Jan-10-2014, 11:26
Great Show Tom old chap!

I intend on being there.

Septic.:salute:

Cassius
Jan-10-2014, 11:43
Cool!:thumbsup:

DUI
Jan-10-2014, 12:17
Great map, Tom. As always!

Three question about the mission:
- How is assured that the predefined planesets are respected? Is it handled server-side?
- Does destroying the radar stations affect Red's ability to locate our bomber groups?
- There is no "mission-based motivation" for pilots to return to base, is there?

Very much loooking forward to tomorrow. If the game/server only allowed 150+ slots. I am sure we will have a lot of pilots waiting in queue tomorrow. :-)

Cassius
Jan-10-2014, 13:11
Good questions DUI.
There is no rule one life - one plane?

ATAG_JTDawg
Jan-10-2014, 13:17
I believe it will not let you spawn in . an if you do your wings will fall off , or some other warning . :thumbsup: I'm sure Gruber will fill us in on the skinny

VO101_Tom
Jan-10-2014, 13:30
Wow Tom - Thanks! That is fantastic :salute:
Thanks! :salute:

- How is assured that the predefined planesets are respected? Is it handled server-side?
- Does destroying the radar stations affect Red's ability to locate our bomber groups?
- There is no "mission-based motivation" for pilots to return to base, is there?

Very much loooking forward to tomorrow. If the game/server only allowed 150+ slots. I am sure we will have a lot of pilots waiting in queue tomorrow. :-)

I asked Gruber yesterday almost the same things :)

This mission will be totally open, there is no opportunity to force players to keep any "sow campaign" rule (one life rule, refly rule, pilot numbers/side, change sides, detailed planesets of squadrons, etc). Only the Spitfire Ia, E-4 and 110 numbers are limited to 20-20-12 pcs (control by script). Hurricane, E-1 and Ju87 free to use any time.

There will be no briefing either, because we don't know which group can join, how many free slot available, so the proper whisper use on TS will be more important than usual.

The MKHL will fly with two schwarm (hopefully), we will join to TS half hour before the mission start.

ATAG_Bliss
Jan-10-2014, 13:33

Hi DUI,

(Speaking for Gruber here) The planeset restrictions will be handled server side. So there are 20 x SpitfireMkIa_100oct allowed at all times. The 21st Spitfire pilot that tries to spawn in will get a warning message followed by all his control surfaces falling off, making that aircraft worthless :D

And there is no mission based return to base motivation as far as I can tell.

The radar question will have to be answered by Gruber.

As far as 100 players, since the mission has no AI, 100 should be a breeze. If all goes well, we could probably bump up the number to 126 player slots. When testing the new netcode stuff, the server was clunking out (my missions that have AI) at 120 people. So without any AI whatsoever, we could probably hit that magical 126 number and be stable.

Good questions DUI.
There is no rule one life - one plane?

Nope - You can spawn in and fly as many times as you need.

Edit: Looks like Tom beat me!

indyscout
Jan-10-2014, 13:43
(Speaking for Gruber here) The planeset restrictions will be handled server side. So there are 20 x SpitfireMkIa_100oct allowed at all times. The 21st Spitfire pilot that tries to spawn in will get a warning message followed by all his control surfaces falling off, making that aircraft worthless :D

You would be impressed with what I can do without control surfaces, just don't take away my guns!

DUI
Jan-10-2014, 13:50
Thanks guys!

Now please be so kind and wait until all participating JG4 members have joined successfully before trying to do so yourself... :D

ATAG_JTDawg
Jan-10-2014, 13:52
roflmao

71st_AH_Ratsy
Jan-10-2014, 17:14
Thanks a ton for setting this up, Hans.
71st will be there to fill as many fighter slots as available.
We can help fill Stuka's as well, but figure you have that covered. ;)

See you there, thanks again Hans and ATAG!

~S~

71st_AH_Ratsy & 71st Squadron

9./JG52 Hans Gruber
Jan-10-2014, 18:22
Tom & Bliss have covered most points. I can only add the radar cannot be destroyed in this mission. Also, the mission will not end when all objectives are destroyed, only when time has expired. I imagine it will take some time to do that but worst case the airfields can be bombed and it will post the tonnage of bombs dropped in chat. Or create your own targets if it comes to that.

I would be mistaken if I did not thank Vogler, Salmo, Reddog, & Bliss for their help with the various bits of scripting. With their kind permission the mission includes Vogler and Salmo's work, Frontlines, which determines a fate for you pilot based on some probabilities if you should bail out over water or enemy territory. It has no effect on score or anything but it is a nice feature which was standard in 1946.

Anyway hoping we have a nice turnout and everybody has a good time.

9./JG52 Ziegler
Jan-11-2014, 09:48
Really looking forward to this event! Thanks to everyone who helped put it together. :thumbsup::salute:

ATAG_Bliss
Jan-11-2014, 13:23
30 minutes until it starts ;)

ATAG_Septic
Jan-11-2014, 13:48
Happy to fly red or blue as needed.

Septic. :salute:

ATAG_Bliss
Jan-11-2014, 14:56
Didn't take long to fill up. With no AI in the mission I think we might be able to get away with cranking up the player numbers a bit. Might try 126 next time. It's worth seeing what the breaking point is. But based on joining when there was 90+ players and it not taking very long (to load in) I think there's a way to go before we get into stability issues. Worth a try anyhow.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/707/3ng7.png (https://imageshack.com/i/jn3ng7p)

9./JG52 Ziegler
Jan-11-2014, 17:16
Absolutely Bliss, It ran pretty smooth for the most part with 100 players.

Couple of slight stutters near the ships but I suppose they are AI and add to the total, plus there were many a furball near them.

Mission was great fun. I love this stuff!
Thanks to the mission maker's and the hoster's for making it possible. :thumbsup: :salute:

Haviland
Jan-11-2014, 17:46
That was a great map/scenario, really enjoyed it.

Learned a bit about the Finns and the Russians too.

=WFB=Charger
Jan-11-2014, 18:13
Tnx All! Nice night bombers :)

DUI
Jan-11-2014, 21:02
A lot of fun with up to 15 Ju 87 in the formations!

Thanks for organizing - looking forward to the next ones! :thumbsup:

Edit: According to a squadron mate the ATAG Track Editor does not work with the recorded tracks. Maybe, something to improve for the next missions?

VO101_Tom
Jan-11-2014, 21:17
Didn't take long to fill up. With no AI in the mission I think we might be able to get away with cranking up the player numbers a bit. Might try 126 next time. It's worth seeing what the breaking point is. But based on joining when there was 90+ players and it not taking very long (to load in) I think there's a way to go before we get into stability issues. Worth a try anyhow.

That would be awesome! :thumbsup:

Thanks to Gruber, Bliss and everyone who make this possible! :salute: It was a great mission, we enjoyed all minutes of it. The patrols and the fights was exciting, sadly the 4 hour mission time was a bit long for us, we quit before mission ended.
Speaking of, what is the end result?

9./JG52 Hans Gruber
Jan-11-2014, 22:55
At the end I believe I saw that 14 of 15 ships from convoy A were destroyed and 13 of 15 from convoy B.

Thanks to everybody who was able to participate and to ATAG for hosting.

JV44Rall
Jan-11-2014, 23:47
The mission was a huge success - both sides won! I had a great time - two sorties with over 2.5 hours in the air. Thanks to all involved for reviving Bomber Night. It's a tradition that warrants perserving.

ATAG_Bliss
Jan-12-2014, 02:38
Edit: According to a squadron mate the ATAG Track Editor does not work with the recorded tracks. Maybe, something to improve for the next missions?

Lolsav sent me a PM saying the same thing. Don't get rid of your tracks though, as it may be an easy fix. I'll try to ask and see what needs to be done.

vranac
Jan-12-2014, 05:09
Thanks, lot of fun :thumbsup:

That last Stuka raid was really impressive.

56RAF_rumba
Jan-12-2014, 07:11
Thanks, lot of fun :thumbsup:

+1

Talisman
Jan-13-2014, 10:47
Many thanks for a very enjoyable evenings flying and congratulations on an successful event. I am looking forward to the next one :))

Happy landings,

Talisman

71st_AH_Ratsy
Jan-18-2014, 12:43
Thank you for hosting this, it was amazing to see a dozen or more bombers all with real pilots! 2+ hours of coordination, and the frame rate was through the roof.
Thanks again, please do keep these up, and let us know if we can support in any way with planning.

~S~

Ratsy
71st Squadron