PDA

View Full Version : Oleg on DCSWWII

heinkill
Jan-09-2014, 12:23
Just a headsup that the next and final chapter of the IL2 retrospectives over at SimHQ will include a discussion with Oleg about DCSWWII, his involvement, vision for the sim etc

H

Previous here

http://www.simhq.com/air-combat/il-2-sturmovik-part3.html

ATAG_Lolsav
Jan-09-2014, 12:29
When is the final part coming out?

heinkill
Jan-09-2014, 13:15
In layout now...

ATAG_Colander
Jan-09-2014, 13:28
I guess the only comment about CloD (if any) will be "no comments" :D

Looking forward to it anyway!

heinkill
Jan-13-2014, 12:58
You might be surprised then...

ATAG_Lolsav
Jan-13-2014, 13:02
Is it out?

Taxman
Jan-13-2014, 22:24
Yes it is, go over to Simhq.

ATAG_Lolsav
Jan-14-2014, 01:03
found it

http://www.simhq.com/air-combat/il-2-sturmovik-part4.html

ATAG_Snapper
Jan-14-2014, 01:35
found it

http://www.simhq.com/air-combat/il-2-sturmovik-part4.html

Thanks for the link, Lolsav! :thumbsup:

A very interesting read......

gavagai
Jan-14-2014, 06:00
"my analysis turned out to be exactly right, as always."

LOL. Kind of strage that the simhq interviewers never follow up on those kinds up comments (there have been others in past interviews). Otherwise Oleg comes out very well in this interview.:thumbsup:

Mysticpuma
Jan-14-2014, 06:28
Such a shame he can't talk about CloD and Team Fusion...and where the Source Code is, who has it, why it can't be purchased, if it can be purchased, how it could be done....etc, etc.

That said, it's good to see Oleg behind WW2: DCS, but so little information coming out :(

I mean, are the team working with the old DCS engine or the new EDGE engine. How are they going to make the FPS fluid, as is needed with WW2 combat, with the netcode so poor and FPS dropping faster than a stone when aircraft fire there guns? Imagine a flight of B-17's under attack and all those guns firing....

So, currently I await the next update from Ilya and a PM from the Source Code sellers :)

Cheers, MP

Skoshi_Tiger
Jan-14-2014, 07:37
Thanks for posting the article.

Very good read and he seams very up-beat about the future for DCS:WWII!

Cheers!

Continu0
Jan-14-2014, 07:43

LOL. Kind of strage that the simhq interviewers never follow up on those kinds up comments (there have been others in past interviews). Otherwise Oleg comes out very well in this interview.:thumbsup:

That sentence was strange, I tought that too...

@ Mystic: I think most of those Questions are already answered, or aren`t they? The source code can`t be bought (afaik an offer was turned down) and Ilya is working with EDGE...

As for DCS WW2, I wish they would choose another planeset (more emphasis on the most "common" aircraft of that time, not the superlatives). As for updates... I don`t care anymore. Obviusly, Ilya needs his way of working trough things and we`ll see how it turns out. I guess you haven`t heard from him, Mysticpuma...?

Mysticpuma
Jan-14-2014, 08:09
Nope :(

heinkill
Jan-14-2014, 13:51

As the interviewer... I think comments like that speak for themselves. As does the line...'this is very painful for me to talk about...' which in a few words, says it all.

H

ATAG_Lolsav
Jan-14-2014, 14:05
Well if you try to imagine his toughts about CLOD mod work, shouldnt differ much of what he thinks about Daidalos work, and how he states he fought to those talented crew to be able to keep on working in IL2 46. Why would he change his heart towards CLOD? I believe it just requires our inteligence to read between the lines, or in this case, to read in between the questions.

It was a great interview where Oleg spoke from what he could. Many of us having him in highly respect, me included, and who knows, maybe in the future he can speak more openly.

As Oleg also stated he does fly other sims, including CLOD, for research purposes. I would like to imagine there is a Oleg in disguise in ATAG server. Maybe he shot me down, or maybe i shot him down once :). If Team Fusion was on the wrong path i can also imagine him to give a word or two, but, from my point of view, its not, so it is easier to just be silent.

Of course for the Team Fusion members would be much more rewarding to have a simple line just saying "good job guys, keep going". But on that regard, the sucess of Team Fusion work, speaks for itself. How many have downloaded TF mod by now? I leave the question open.

Chivas
Jan-14-2014, 15:02
Such a shame he can't talk about CloD and Team Fusion...and where the Source Code is, who has it, why it can't be purchased, if it can be purchased, how it could be done....etc, etc.

That said, it's good to see Oleg behind WW2: DCS, but so little information coming out :(

I mean, are the team working with the old DCS engine or the new EDGE engine. How are they going to make the FPS fluid, as is needed with WW2 combat, with the netcode so poor and FPS dropping faster than a stone when aircraft fire there guns? Imagine a flight of B-17's under attack and all those guns firing....

So, currently I await the next update from Ilya and a PM from the Source Code sellers :)

Cheers, MP

EDGE isn't a new game engine, its a new graphic engine, that DCS is currently implementing into their DCS game engine. Luthier's terrain crew is working with the EDGE graphic engine. I'm was surprised that Oleg didn't mention he was working on the multiplayer netcode aspect of DCS game engine as Luthier suggested that was one of the things Oleg was doing.

vranac
Jan-14-2014, 16:00
EDGE isn't a new game engine, its a new graphic engine, that DCS is currently implementing into their DCS game engine. Luthier's terrain crew is working with the EDGE graphic engine. I'm was surprised that Oleg didn't mention he was working on the multiplayer netcode aspect of DCS game engine as Luthier suggested that was one of the things Oleg was doing.

Chivas, where did you get that about multiplayer ?

Ilya clearly distanced himself from multiplayer aspect and that's my only concern about DCSWWII project.

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Jan-14-2014, 18:00
Oleg's comments about CoD and its too early release are completely correct. :clap:

He is also spot on regarding the huge potential the game had.

The fact is, his vision for this game was amazing, it is just sad that the publishers did not have enough patience to let it develop properly.

I am glad to hear that he sometimes flys CoD, and hope that includes the Team Fusion mods.

We would be honoured to have him try it out. :thumbsup:

Oleg is the inspiration for the work of Team Fusion, we are simply trying to fulfil his grand design. :respect:

Chivas
Jan-14-2014, 21:12
Chivas, where did you get that about multiplayer ?

Ilya clearly distanced himself from multiplayer aspect and that's my only concern about DCSWWII project.

I'm not going to bother, and to try find the quote, but it was early on in the developments announcement when Luthier was mentioning the people on his team and Oleg's involvement. Suggesting Oleg's prowess at developing decent multiplayer code, would greatly help. Everyone on the DCS team, seems to have worked closely with Oleg/Luthiers team so its quite possible that if Oleg or anyone else on their collaborating teams found a way to improve DCS netcode, DCS would gladly take the help.

Chivas
Jan-14-2014, 21:23
Oleg's comments about CoD and its too early release are completely correct. :clap:

He is also spot on regarding the huge potential the game had.

The fact is, his vision for this game was amazing, it is just sad that the publishers did not have enough patience to let it develop properly.

I am glad to hear that he sometimes flys CoD, and hope that includes the Team Fusion mods.

We would be honoured to have him try it out. :thumbsup:

Oleg is the inspiration for the work of Team Fusion, we are simply trying to fulfil his grand design. :respect:

Yes Oleg had huge designs for their new game engine, that even went far beyond flight sims. Its unfortunate that IC understandably lost patience throwing money at the development for years with no return on their investment. I'm sure there was alot of backroom politicking going on as well. That said I agree with Oleg that IC made a huge mistake. It was also unfortunate that many in other communities couldn't see COD's potential an added fuel to the background politicking that helped killed COD.

ATAG_Lolsav
Jan-14-2014, 21:31
I'm not going to bother, and to try find the quote, but it was early on in the developments announcement when Luthier was mentioning the people on his team and Oleg's involvement. Suggesting Oleg's prowess at developing decent multiplayer code, would greatly help. Everyone on the DCS team, seems to have worked closely with Oleg/Luthiers team so its quite possible that if Oleg or anyone else on their collaborating teams found a way to improve DCS netcode, DCS would gladly take the help.

I also remember of reading/hearing that. Wasnt it on the video Ilya made? During the raising funds?

Foul Ole Ron
Jan-15-2014, 03:32
MP netcode is definitely one area that needs some serous attention. Though I did see something from Wags recently where he said things like the fps drop from guns couldn't be addressed with the current graphics engine - we'll have to wait for EDGE for that to happen. Hopefully EDGE is a lot more netcode friendly than the current IG which seems poorly optimised in that respect.

Remon
Jan-15-2014, 13:35
Don't forget that there's going to be a dedicated server release with/after EDGE.

EDIT: Supposedly.

Chivas
Jan-15-2014, 13:42
I also remember of reading/hearing that. Wasnt it on the video Ilya made? During the raising funds?

I think your right.

Old_Canuck
Jan-15-2014, 14:44
If the old IL-2 would work properly on 3 displays, I'd re-install in a heartbeat. BTW, my favorite part of that article so far:

"Fred: IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover after the final patch is now a highly playable, impressively detailed and very entertaining game. Now that you are looking back from a distance, what are your reflections on that episode in IL-2 history?

Oleg: If only we had more time and more money to fully polish the game before release, and do a lot more than ever made into the final patch, everyone would have been a million times happier today. Us, the fans, and especially the management. It could have been a great hit. It should have been a great hit. Of course, no one is blameless, but really releasing it in the state it was released in was a very bad decision. As you can see by the final patch, we were fully capable of doing a good product; the final patch was done purely out of personal desires of the team, while the team was supposedly fully engaged in working on a sequel. If we did not work on the sequel, and just worked on improving Cliffs of Dover, we could have done the work we did in much less time.

This is extremely painful for me to write. I really wish we had more support from our management, more understanding of flight sim realities. With only a little more investment and a little more time, Cliffs of Dover would have been a huge hit and made everyone involved very rich. Well, it’s all in the past now, and it’s best to keep it there."

So glad to see the Pacific Theatre still on their short list of futures.

gavagai
Jan-18-2014, 10:12

I'm curious about the distinction between graphics/game engine. EDGE will have multi-core cpu capability while the current DCS engine does not, yet it is only a new "graphics" engine?

Remon
Jan-18-2014, 15:03
Most likely, EDGE will be multi gpu and not multi threaded. The game is already using two cores, a second one for the sound.

gavagai
Jan-19-2014, 09:33
Which is the programming technology from a decade ago.

I can't find the thread right now, but I could swear I read that EDGE will make better use of multiple cores than DCS does now. I haven't read anything about multi-gpu support.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan-19-2014, 12:30
Edge multi gpu support is confirmed here by Wags:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=115306

gavagai
Jan-19-2014, 20:36
Got it, thanks!

In case you all missed it from the DCS forum:

http://i.imgur.com/XNcBRpd.jpg

Mattias
Jan-20-2014, 05:15
Got it, thanks!

In case you all missed it from the DCS forum:

http://i.imgur.com/XNcBRpd.jpg

Wonderful! roflmao

jaydee
Jan-24-2014, 02:23
I believe in giving in givin a second go to creative people that are willing to "Stick" their heads out again,despite satire and ridicule from people (me included).
I paid my money to Luthier and Kickstarter,I am happy to sit back and wait,to see what transpires !
In the meantime,there is lots goin on for WW2 flyers !
~S~