PDA

View Full Version : Nvidea Shadowplay?

ATAG_EvangelusE
Jan-11-2014, 12:17
Does 'Shadowplay' have to be launched and run in the background for the recording facility to work?

I didn't have to run GeForce experience when I first installed it , I simply pressed the keyboard command in game, the recording icon would appear and recordings worked fine. Today, without launching it, I got the green recording status icon but when I press the key board command to stop recording CloD freezes for about 5 seconds and nothing records.

I launched shadowplay, minimised it, went back into clod and everything was ok.

EDIT. Re-booted the pc and recordings work fine without having to launch shadowplay....weird?

ATAG_Freya
Jan-11-2014, 12:46
I use it through the geforce experience program myself. I open geforce exp, click the shadowplay button in the top right, click the "switch", close both those windows via the little "x" and its good to go. I think it remembers this when you turn the pc off so it only has to be done once. I've never had this problem you speak of, but then we're running it a bit differently it seems...Do you use geforce experience? I also just wanted to mention that if you get playback stutters, try using windows media player instead of VLC.

ATAG_EvangelusE
Jan-11-2014, 14:31
Thanks Freya. I have Geforce experience and, after installation, all I did was set a new Manual Recording keystroke in Shadow Play, save location, etc. Since then, like you say, it seemed to remember my settings and I just booted up the PC, launched clod and recorded in game without any problems apart from today.

What quality setting do you use in Shadow Play?

The reason I ask is that the recorded video files using 'High Quality' setting are huge. I use Windows Moviemaker to edit them but I haven't a clue which of the save options and Video formats (MP4 or WMA) is best for making vids to share on forums, etc.

There isn't a lot of info regards making vids that are reasonable in file size as opposed to 'top notch' and have a huge file size.

ATAG_Freya
Jan-11-2014, 15:16
I have normally been using medium quality, and the playback looks fine. I was going to try high settings today to see the difference. And yah, the files can be pretty huge in a hurry, which is why I'm hoping to get away with medium settings. I don't make much videos, and when I do they're not very good, LOL! I'll probly try making one soon to see how it all goes. I think shadowplay records in mp4? Not much for options in the settings either (beta!), but I'm hoping future releases get a little more detailed. As for windows live movie maker, I always just save the movie for high def display. Stay tuned I'm uploading a test vid now....

ATAG_Freya
Jan-11-2014, 15:58
OK test vid, wrong game here but just for an idea on medium quality....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qcpp5zc52I&feature=youtu.be

I may have time in the next couple days to do 2 test vids with 'cliffs. One medium, one high qual....if I do I'll post em here just for kicks...

Ohms
Jan-11-2014, 17:57
Hi Guys
I have used shadow play to record my failures for about a week. With fraps I was having issues with fps and stuttering, shadow play has no impact that i can see and the videos are smaller in size. I have the settings at highest quality and they look great, I still suck but I look good doing it. :)

Ohms

Mysticpuma
Jan-11-2014, 18:02
I might give t a try if I can figure out how to set it up :)

Cheers, MP

ATAG_EvangelusE
Jan-11-2014, 19:46
I might give t a try if I can figure out how to set it up :)

Cheers, MP

Let us know what you think of the three quality settings Freya. I tried High and medium and can't see any difference.

As for setting it up, it's just a case of launching Geforce Experience and selecting Shadow play in the top right hand corner of the utility screen. Toggle the animated switch to on and use the default settings to start with High Quality, Manual recording, etc. The default start/stop record key press is Alt + F9 but you can change this to any keyboard command (I use Caps lock). Exit the Geforce utility and basically thats it!

In game press Alt+F9 to record...little green icon appears and same again to stop (icon disappears).

For anyone not sure about Shadowplay you must have a Nvidea GFXcard 600 series or higher. Shadowplay is part of the Geforce Experience utility and comes with the latest 332.21 drivers or you can DL it separately.

ATAG_Freya
Jan-12-2014, 00:33
Here's some samples, of high/med qualities. I can tell a very slight difference, hardly noticable though. Plus I know which is which. My res is 1680 x 1050, but I made the vids through windows live movie maker and saved the files for high res display, then went to youtube and uploaded. For me to watch vids in the HD setting, I always have to select "HD" then pause it while it loads and get back to it later. Bit of a pain, maybe it's my internet connection, don't know.... But interested to see if you guys notice a difference!

@ Ohmie, good to hear! But you don't fail, do you? I always considered you invincible!!!

I was using MSI afterburner before and it would give my pc a meltdown if I hit esc while recording a flight. (or alt tab) I lost so many vids because of doing that. I would have to shut everything down and fire it all back up again. And I'd forget if I was recording or not because I couldn't get an indicator. Shadowplay gives me no probs what so ever so far! I, like many, am glad that Nvidia put this out. Hope they continue to improve on it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbLpRliRh18&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6POTCGgJz_M&feature=youtu.be

ATAG_Snapper
Jan-12-2014, 00:46
Shadowplay seems to work well on my system, except right now my voice is too low in volume when I speak into my TeamSpeak microphone. I'll have to play with the settings a bit.

By way of feedback I've asked Nvidia to enable us to use joystick buttons (ie. Directx inputs) for hotkeys, such as TeamSpeak and TrackIR already do. This would enable us to keep our eye on the screen when toggling the video on/off. They acknowledged my request, but made no commitment to incorporate this small feature. Strangely, neither do FRAPS nor Mirillis Action, yet surely a lot of players have HOTAS systems.

ATAG_Freya
Jan-12-2014, 01:51
I would like to see the audio recording option expanded to include a PTT activation for the mic. Right now, in my videos, my voice volume is at a good level but unfortunately it also picks up sounds of me clicking buttons, breathing, phone ringing, and apparently I may have what sounds like a very sick duck sneaking up behind me from time to time, though I haven't been able to find him yet. Maybe it's just my cheap ass mic, but to tie it in with PTT on TS3 would be nice. Or maybe I'm missing the knowledge to know how to do this if it's possible already? Perhaps I'll try that feedback thing on that issue...whoe! that duck just snuck in again...

9./JG52 Ziegler
Jan-12-2014, 07:32
Lemme know if you figure that one out Freya. I have to use audacity to record my own voice with shadowplay. I wasn't aware they had "fixed" that.
(ability to record the recorders vocals)
That said I love shadowplay for its one button simplicity and low resource usage.
I think I'll turn mine down to medium also. Been runing it on high.

dburne
Jan-13-2014, 08:18
Glad I saw this thread, I have been wanting to try my hand at recording a video and this sounds like a solution I can even learn to use.
I will have to give this a try when I get a chance.