PDA

View Full Version : Lagg 3 - good introduction by Requiem

Quax
Jan-12-2014, 11:15
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxovZk-EfRo#t=15

Foul Ole Ron
Jan-12-2014, 13:07
Good luck to any poor saps that have to fly this piece of shite in MP missions. Any half competent 109 pilot will make mince meat of those Laggs as it outclasses it in every aspect. About it's only good characteristic is that it rolls exceedingly quickly which doesn't even make sense when you take the rest of it's flight characteristics into account and that no Russian pilots seemed to mention it. Apart from that it's pretty brutal - doesn't turn well, doesn't climb well, bleeds energy quickly when turning and stalls quite easily compared to the very benign 109-F4 which won't stall even with the stick fully aft and around a 7g turn being pulled at ~450-500km/h (assuming that 7g is what full blackout is set at).

Lagg pilots will need some serious teamwork to stand any sort of chance which I suppose is realistic but the majority of MP pilots won't be interested in playing that sort of game as we see in CloD when the IIa and E4/N are available. It might be a little useful in anti-bomber missions with the optional 37mm cannon but unless the missions force some of the VVS side to fly it I would think players would still go for the Yak-1 or La-5.

darkside3/4
Jan-12-2014, 13:31
Good luck to any poor saps that have to fly this piece of shite in MP missions. Any half competent 109 pilot will make mince meat of those Laggs as it outclasses it in every aspect. About it's only good characteristic is that it rolls exceedingly quickly which doesn't even make sense when you take the rest of it's flight characteristics into account and that no Russian pilots seemed to mention it. Apart from that it's pretty brutal - doesn't turn well, doesn't climb well, bleeds energy quickly when turning and stalls quite easily compared to the very benign 109-F4 which won't stall even with the stick fully aft and around a 7g turn being pulled at ~450-500km/h (assuming that 7g is what full blackout is set at).

Lagg pilots will need some serious teamwork to stand any sort of chance which I suppose is realistic but the majority of MP pilots won't be interested in playing that sort of game as we see in CloD when the IIa and E4/N are available. It might be a little useful in anti-bomber missions with the optional 37mm cannon but unless the missions force some of the VVS side to fly it I would think players would still go for the Yak-1 or La-5.

I take your post as a challenge to focus on kicking 109 butt with the LaGG 3 now when MP comes online. The same reason I like to take Hurri's over Spits.

ChiefRedCloud
Jan-12-2014, 15:26
Great Video by Requiem though .....

Incog
Jan-12-2014, 15:36
Doesn't the Yak compete with the 109?

Foul Ole Ron
Jan-12-2014, 15:43
I take your post as a challenge to focus on kicking 109 butt with the LaGG 3 now when MP comes online. The same reason I like to take Hurri's over Spits.

Yeah I know what you mean :) Often fly the Hurri as well for that reason and I have a soft soft for the bird in general. But at least with the Hurri you have the advantage of being able to out-turn the 109. The Lagg has absolutely no advantages. Flying the Yak-1 will still put you at a disadvantage in a fight against the 109 F-4 but it won't be nearly as bad as the Lagg. Must have been awful for the VVS pilots who really had to fly that crate in combat - total turkey shoot.

Headshot
Jan-13-2014, 03:33
Exultant video. I think it's great of people to take the time to help and inform others.:salute:

gavagai
Jan-13-2014, 06:08
The wingloading of the LagG-3 should be a little lower than the 109F-4, but my guess is that too many other factors come into play to favor the 109, e.g. thrust:weight, thrust:drag, and the leading edge slats.

Bearcat
Jan-13-2014, 09:30
Exultant video. I think it's great of people to take the time to help and inform others.:salute:

That hyas always been a strong point in sim communities..

Incog
Jan-13-2014, 09:57
That video got me thinking of a sexy feature I would include in a flight simulator if I were to make one.

Notes! You know how you can open your map in Il-2? You should be able to do the same thing with a note pad or something where you can write your own checklists and stuff. Things like procedures (for those who forget to arm bombs or something) or map objectives could be written down on that notepad. You could even put in real checklists to make it that much more immersive and/or be sure to NOT forget anything.

Well, just a little thought of mine. Didn't watch the video. LUL.

I've been thinking about map balance in this game though. The Yak 1 is =< the 109 F4. The Lag is <. So to counteract this, as it was done historically, Russians should always have more aircraft on the map! :D

Quax
Jan-13-2014, 10:32
So to counteract this, as it was done historically, Russians should always have more aircraft on the map! :D

Totally up to the mission designers. No doubt we will get such missions.