PDA

View Full Version : Need help with 109E3 Pro pitch in combat

barronpixy
Jan-13-2014, 11:08
I find myself hard to maintain the best performance of Daimler-Benz Engine (2300-2500 rpm and 1.3 ata if I remember correctly) by keep adjusting the pro pitch. I simply do not have the capacity to do SA, aiming and shooting, and adjustment of pro pitch or radiators at the same time in the heat of the combat. This lead to my engine overheat in dive sometimes or cause my 109 out-climbed by spitfire or even hurricane. I am not sure the reason behind.

Here is my question, is it possible to do the proper engine management and aerial combat at the same time? How should I do to push my 109 to the limit? Is it right to keep full throttle in combat at most of the time to maintain energy level? Thanks for answering my questions

ATAG_Lolsav
Jan-13-2014, 11:14
It takes time to be able to control the plane. By now i can do it by recognizing the engine sound (not showing off, just stating how i do it), and i do know many others experimented pilots do the same. The best performance on the 109 its achieved at 2400, not at a higher rotation. You run the risk of blowing the engine or radiator if you go on the edge of 2500.

It helps to have the prop pitch control on a very fast and acessible command. I dont know whats your joystick, but i will tell you how i have assign mine: I own a X52 wich has a left tumb slider. I use that for pitch control as it is so important as the throtle. Managing both becomes familiar and easy, since the prop pitch is on the throtle (hotas).

Muffin
Jan-13-2014, 11:39
Agreed with Lolsav, I go by the sound of the engine, I also use the x52 thumb slider :)

III./ZG76_Saipan
Jan-13-2014, 12:19
i usually hit f10 and keep the cursor close to the water temp. i think its too easy to overheat. with track ir you can just look down and see the temp pop up.

barronpixy
Jan-14-2014, 08:15
It takes time to be able to control the plane. By now i can do it by recognizing the engine sound (not showing off, just stating how i do it), and i do know many others experimented pilots do the same. The best performance on the 109 its achieved at 2400, not at a higher rotation. You run the risk of blowing the engine or radiator if you go on the edge of 2500.

It helps to have the prop pitch control on a very fast and acessible command. I dont know whats your joystick, but i will tell you how i have assign mine: I own a X52 wich has a left tumb slider. I use that for pitch control as it is so important as the throtle. Managing both becomes familiar and easy, since the prop pitch is on the throtle (hotas).

I am using t16000m. I set the pro pitch control near the throttle. It's quite demanding to fly 109 with only a stick, but I manage to takeoff and landing safely. I played Warthunder for a period as the start of flight simulation but I found IL2 COD is far more sophisticated and demand more from pilot. I am learning how to manage the engine correctly, including the radiator control, but it is hard to find reference.

Attila
Jan-14-2014, 09:30
Hi, I´m using my collie hat for the prop pitch! It works perfect for me!
I also fly always with completly open radiators, rpm 2200 for longer distance, ata 1.2.
If I´m in a dogfight I try to don´t turn the engine over 2500 rpm!
And always remember: if you dive reduce the prop pitch, if you climb steeply, turn up to 12.00.
Thats my trick to fly with the 109 without damaging the engine.

:-):salute:

III./ZG76_Keller
Jan-14-2014, 21:55
I am using t16000m. I set the pro pitch control near the throttle. It's quite demanding to fly 109 with only a stick, but I manage to takeoff and landing safely. I played Warthunder for a period as the start of flight simulation but I found IL2 COD is far more sophisticated and demand more from pilot. I am learning how to manage the engine correctly, including the radiator control, but it is hard to find reference.

Stick with it, the sound of the engine will eventually tell you all you need to know about your plane's performance. You'll be able to hear the sweet spot eventually, just keep at it.

We've all been through this learning curve and have the blown engines and perforated rads to prove it.

Wulf
Jan-15-2014, 04:11
Yeah, it's tricky alright. I've been flying the CloD 109 for quite a while now and I still blow motors every now and again. Typically it happens when I get myself into foolish situations where I'm fighting for my virtual life. I agree with the others that you'll soon learn to interpret your engine's sounds, however, when things start to become desperate, other issues often appear of more pressing concern.

For now, I'd suggest you try avoiding situations where you're required to manage too much at once. I suspect this sort of situation would typically occur during extended fights or in situations involving lots of hard (desperate) maneuvering. So, get some altitude, (say 5k) and start looking for an enemy at an altitude lower than your own. When you find one, apply plenty of course pitch and then dive on him, keeping an eye on your rpm as you do so. (it also pays to trim your aircraft 'nose-down' in level flight so you avoid the thing fighting you as you start to dive). Shoot when you're a second or so from a collision, and then climb away. As you climb back to altitude, fine-out your prop pitch as you progressively lose speed. Again, avoid over-speeding the motor in the process (ie, and as other's have noted, exceeding 2500 rpm - if you exceed 3000 rpm your motor will fail within a second or two). When you get back in position above your target carefully check your tail in case there's a lurking wingman. If the original target is still below you at this point, attack again. Repeat this process until you kill him or the altitude difference between your aircraft and his narrows to a point where he could begin to contemplate a counter-attack, and then break off the fight and look for a new victim elsewhere.

9./JG52 Ziegler
Jan-15-2014, 06:16
Good advice from everyone.
I'll just add that blowing the engine is more a product of high revs (and low airspeed) than of high ata. I can fly at full throttle 95% of the time (not in steep dives) and not have a problem as long as I manage rpm and airspeed. Like Saipan I keep my cursor at the bottom near the water temp and look at it allot.
I fly at 2200rpm (almost same performance as 2400 and more margin) and full power and can do that all day as long as the airspeed is above 325kph. If climbing hard (300k or less) you will start to heat up. I also fly with rads closed some (oil at 40% and leave it there) and water at one full turn closed from all the way open). I will open water to full when in combat maneuvering but then close it down again in cruise. Why not just leave it open? Because you cruise faster with it closed.

You will get a feel for it and it will become natural to change pitch as you maneuver. Think of it like the manual transmission in a race car as you are driving a track.

The electric prop pitch in the 109's is infinitely variable and rather unique as you (the pilot) adjust your pitch to maintain a certain rpm. In modern prop aircraft they use hydraulic "constant speed" prop pitch control. The difference being with constant speed, you choose an rpm (versus a pitch) and the unit will maintain that rpm regardless of the power setting. (by continuously changing pitch). Same thing, different approach.