PDA

View Full Version : How do you adjust AI skill?

strikerdg
Jan-15-2014, 01:00
I have just got back into COD hardcore and have some noob questions. After discovering the TF patches I realized this game has completely turned around. I swore I'd never play it again but now it's amazing and believe me the word is spreading! Now on to my question: how do you adjust AI difficulty? I know in the previous IL-2 games you could adjust the AI difficulty (veteran, novice, etc) but is there any way in COD? I don't see a way to adjust this in settings for single player missions or campaigns.. The reason I ask is the AI is so abysmal I cannot seem to even get a decent dogfight in before they have killed themselves somehow. I am aware of the TF patch "lawndart" bug but have not experienced it myself.. Is this just a setting that can only be adjusted in a custom mission or campaign?

heinkill
Jan-15-2014, 01:53
I have just got back into COD hardcore and have some noob questions. After discovering the TF patches I realized this game has completely turned around. I swore I'd never play it again but now it's amazing and believe me the word is spreading! Now on to my question: how do you adjust AI difficulty? I know in the previous IL-2 games you could adjust the AI difficulty (veteran, novice, etc) but is there any way in COD? I don't see a way to adjust this in settings for single player missions or campaigns.. The reason I ask is the AI is so abysmal I cannot seem to even get a decent dogfight in before they have killed themselves somehow. I am aware of the TF patch "lawndart" bug but have not experienced it myself.. Is this just a setting that can only be adjusted in a custom mission or campaign?

Welcome back! If you have experienced AI killing themselves in numbers, that is the lawndart bug. At the moment there is no user adjusted setting to avoid the lawndarts in TF4.0. TF is working hard to fix that but you can roll back to TF 3.01 to avoid it, it is great too.

But at low AI skill levels the AI in CoD is overly incompetent and does crash. They go into a low level roll and spear in. I never use less than veteran settings in my missions.

In general AI settings are made by the mission creator, and adjusted in the Full Mission builder.

Here is some guidance...

http://bobgamehub.blogspot.dk/2012/03/ai-settings-in-cliffs-of-dover.html

Cheers H

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Jan-15-2014, 04:24
Salute

If you select 'Default' values for your AI aircraft, (rookie, average, veteran or Ace) then save the mission and then close the game and open the mission file, you can edit in the following values and they will give your AI much better surviveability:

Rookie: 1 0.47 0.21 0.053 0.053 0.21 0.053 0.053
Average: 1 1 0.74 0.21 0.11 0.74 0.11 0.32
Veteran: 1 1 0.74 0.21 0.21 0.74 0.32 0.32
Ace: 1 1 1 1 1 1 0.89 1

9./JG52 Ziegler
Jan-15-2014, 05:55
You want to set them as veteran over all but there are other sub parameters you can adjust too, such as bravery, gunnery etc..

Don't go Ace as this is just as bad in the other direction and unrealistic.

ATAG_Lewis
Jan-15-2014, 09:49
Welcome to the community and forums strikerdg....~S~

Checkout the 'Beginners Guide'...for info and tips...It should save you a heap of time in getting up to scratch.....and its a really fun learning curve anyway..

Beginners Guide Link Here (http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5058&p=52711)

Also try youtube for startup prcedures on all the aircraft...

Any questions then you've come to the right place....

Good to have you with us buddy...and Have Fun!!!

...lew...

strikerdg
Mar-06-2014, 13:29
Great thanks for the help guys! I have managed to recruit quite a few experienced flight simmers to COD with all the great improvements that have been coming about. I am so happy this game was saved.

arquillos
Mar-25-2024, 16:21
Salute

If you select 'Default' values for your AI aircraft, (rookie, average, veteran or Ace) then save the mission and then close the game and open the mission file, you can edit in the following values and they will give your AI much better surviveability:

Rookie: 1 0.47 0.21 0.053 0.053 0.21 0.053 0.053
Average: 1 1 0.74 0.21 0.11 0.74 0.11 0.32
Veteran: 1 1 0.74 0.21 0.21 0.74 0.32 0.32
Ace: 1 1 1 1 1 1 0.89 1

Sorry abou the bump.

Are those settings valid with the latest TF?

ATAG_Lenny
Mar-26-2024, 00:00
They've changed. Here are the new default settings that would be generated in the .mis file when chosen from the FMB.

Basic Flying Advanced Flying Awareness Aerial Gunnery Tactics Vision Bravery Discipline
Rookie 0.79 0.26 0.26 0.16 0.16 0.26 0.37 0.26
Average 0.84 0.53 0.53 0.37 0.37 0.53 0.53 0.53
Veteran 1.00 0.74 0.84 0.63 0.84 0.84 0.74 0.74
Ace 1.00 0.95 0.95 0.84 0.84 0.95 0.89 0.89

All can be adjusted further by adjusting the sliders in Group Properties Skill for an entire squadron or from the individual aircraft settings. Some also recommend that you should consider setting all sliders to 0.50 when first building a mission. Not so sure about this anymore. Some observations I have are:

Setting Basic Flying and Advanced Flying to Ace seems to help the AI cope with rapid altitude/speed changes between waypoints and seems to mitigate some of crazy behaviours that people witness. There are logical reasons for why those happen but giving the AI stronger tools to solve those problems seems to work and to me makes for better dogfighting. I think the awareness defaults do a good job of defining basic pilot skills. Rookies never saw the guy who got him and most were rookies. I try to keep Aerial Gunnery at average as well. I've noticed that this keeps kill rates in a mission to closer to historical levels. It really wasn't easy to down an opposing aircraft. I also think my own gunnery skills rookie at best, and not seeming to improve. Tactics I'm still trying to figure out but generally I like to turn up closer to veteran. Vision like awareness may help define the AI skill but I do find that when turned up seems to prevent the zombie type of flying that some complain about where they can basically sidle up and gun down aircraft flying home. I actually like to turn Bravery down. We computer players are reckless because there are no consequences to getting shot down. The real pilots bugged out when the set up was not in their favour. I do turn up Bravery and Discipline together for AI bomber pilots as this seems to translate to better bombing accuracy from a gameplay perspective. If I've flown all that way, I want to see something blow up. Again in the real world, there were so many stories from the Battle of Britain of bombers dumping their bombs and bugging out at the slightest threat.

Lenny

arquillos
Mar-28-2024, 10:58
They've changed. Here are the new default settings that would be generated in the .mis file when chosen from the FMB.

Basic Flying Advanced Flying Awareness Aerial Gunnery Tactics Vision Bravery Discipline

All can be adjusted further by adjusting the sliders in Group Properties Skill for an entire squadron or from the individual aircraft settings. Some also recommend that you should consider setting all sliders to 0.50 when first building a mission. Not so sure about this anymore. Some observations I have are:

Setting Basic Flying and Advanced Flying to Ace seems to help the AI cope with rapid altitude/speed changes between waypoints and seems to mitigate some of crazy behaviours that people witness. There are logical reasons for why those happen but giving the AI stronger tools to solve those problems seems to work and to me makes for better dogfighting. I think the awareness defaults do a good job of defining basic pilot skills. Rookies never saw the guy who got him and most were rookies. I try to keep Aerial Gunnery at average as well. I've noticed that this keeps kill rates in a mission to closer to historical levels. It really wasn't easy to down an opposing aircraft. I also think my own gunnery skills rookie at best, and not seeming to improve. Tactics I'm still trying to figure out but generally I like to turn up closer to veteran. Vision like awareness may help define the AI skill but I do find that when turned up seems to prevent the zombie type of flying that some complain about where they can basically sidle up and gun down aircraft flying home. I actually like to turn Bravery down. We computer players are reckless because there are no consequences to getting shot down. The real pilots bugged out when the set up was not in their favour. I do turn up Bravery and Discipline together for AI bomber pilots as this seems to translate to better bombing accuracy from a gameplay perspective. If I've flown all that way, I want to see something blow up. Again in the real world, there were so many stories from the Battle of Britain of bombers dumping their bombs and bugging out at the slightest threat.

Lenny

Thanks! I will try these new defaults