PDA

View Full Version : Hi

Vulgar
Nov-22-2011, 21:13
I have been enjoying the ATAG server and thought I would stop in and introduce myself.

First CFS I played was F15 Strike Eagle in 1984, Apple 2 plus 256K, had to add 256k additional memory to play, was the most lines of code of any game in those days! Now I wish I never sold that old rig, with all the games.

Travel, business and what not did not allow me to play from the late 80's to the late 90's. Found Fighter Ace in 99, went to Aces High, and of course IL2 then targetware. I only play online, no challenge in off line. Business, health, injuries and a hiatus from gaming for the past few years have left me out of shape, my SA sucks! But very happy to find that COD is coming along, and the direction that ATAG is taking with the server is inline with the type of play that I like. Like to fly jabo mainly, like to blow stuff up then knock down some planes!

Getting started with COD with all the bugs, getting controls all setup, then finely figuring out that my performance problems were related to COD not causing my GPU to run at full speed, has been a frustrating adventure. Though it was playable at nearly half speed, just lower detail on terrain. Just put the box together with some of the newest and best, so I knew things were not right.

Now that everything is working as should be, you will be getting more action out of me! Only two things left to setup, TS and TrackIR should be delivered tomorrow, my poor old eyes need all the help they can get to keep track of those pesky 109's b&z'n when flying red!

Have had a lot of fun getting back into it and looking forwards to getting to know you guys.

Vulgar

ATAG_Trumps
Nov-22-2011, 21:27
G'day Vulgar,
i remember playing flightsim on the Apple II back in the mid 80's it makes me laugh to remember all the oohs, ahhs, and wows that came from people who watched what was going on, Bleedin edge tech, it can't get any better than this surely we thought LOL!!!
Looking forward to flying with you mate!

Craig

Old_Canuck
Nov-23-2011, 11:56
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qAFTOqyp7I

S! Vulgar and Trumps. Yes we were easily impressed back then. :laugh1

ATAG_Bliss
Nov-23-2011, 14:40
Hi Vulgar and welcome to the forums!

As IL2COD grows, so will we m8. We've got a good recipe for mission making for IL2COD. I just wish it was as easy as ol' 46 was ;)

It's very hard to do some of the historical scenarios presently simply because we are lacking some very key flyable planes, but I have no doubt it will get there.

Make sure to hop on TS sometime and feel free to ask questions. The majority of us have already gone through all the teething problems :Grin:

:salute:

Vulgar
Nov-30-2011, 11:41
I played castle wolfenstien in 1981, the first fps. Green screen and your player was a circle with a small line sticking out for the gun! Cracked me up when you got the guards, they would call you names in German.

Yes a lot of things were cool in those days. No cost to go online, but of course things were slower, but with no graphics not much data to move, command line only. We didn't even have hardrives, the floppy was a nice move up, many used cassette tapes, otherwise you had to enter the code you wanted to run every time the computer was started. That did wonders for your typing speed and a great memory exorcise!

In the mid nineties when I returned from my excursion, lived and traveled for 3 years on a bicycle. I was pissed that you had to pay to go online, the US Government built the network with our tax money, and now you had to pay again to use it. PSINet can be thanked for that one, as soon as they showed profitability everyone wanted in on it. Though you can still play if you have one of those old hand receiver modems, there are some really amazing people out their that can really navigate pots (plain old telephone system). Though that has become more difficult as the technology has changed and things are routed differently.

Some of the databases at Universities and places like Bell Labs were cool. Some really interesting things could be found, and details on how to do things were commonly shared, as it was not a really large community, even in the eighties. You had to have some command line skill, but then basic was easy.

I better shut up, my age is showing! Some good memories though, when we lived in Mexico my old man showed me how to get all over the world. He was doing it since the beginning, his company had a room full of IBM computers with those old big reel to reel cabinets. One of the first steel manufacturing plants that used computer automation, and did government projects. He knew how to contact every government agency that was using that kind of communication. He was involved in ww2 and told me they were doing it back then, as the Germans had no way to intercept or decipher the code. They could transmit and receive without giving out location like with radios that can be triangulated. That's the reason why the net came about, secure communication, though nothing new as the telegraph had already been around for awhile, just a better way to do it and at that time could not be intercepted. Unless you had a device that could receive the bandwidth being used, it was non existent. A little tid bit of history that most people are not aware of, though there is some info about it on the web.