PDA

View Full Version : DCS WWII Video - Blue Sky, Red Tails

Chuck_Owl
Jan-25-2014, 04:30
Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8YlKcfzhCA

I know it looks very amateur-ish, but I had a lot of fun doing this and figuring out DCS World's mission builder and camera controls.

gavagai
Jan-25-2014, 08:16
Great job!

Skoshi_Tiger
Jan-25-2014, 08:52
Thanks! I got right in to it!

ATAG_Snapper
Jan-25-2014, 10:03
Wow!!! :stunned:

That was a GREAT watch!!!! :thumbsup:

This sim is really coming together. Nice film making.

Catseye
Jan-25-2014, 11:46
Very nice vid.

Great segways and camera positions.

Nice flying - used energy and out of plane turns to great advantage.

Love the sounds that DCS have in place - supercharger whistling and growl combined. Once edge is in place and the damage visuals improved and WWII arrives, it will be a super product.

Cheers,
Cats . . .

dburne
Jan-25-2014, 14:21
Beautifully done, thanks for sharing!

Chuck_Owl
Jan-25-2014, 23:43
Woah, I wasn't expecting such a positive response. Many thanks for the kind words! Like I said in the Eagle Dynamics forums, if you have any tricks or tips in movie-making to give me, feel free to provide. I have absolutely no background or particular skill in movie-making, so any opportunity to learn is welcome.

Next, I might try to go for some kind of moving camera that could be fixed on a jet or something, like they did in the Memphis Belle and Battle of Britain movies (they fixed a camera on the fuselage of a B-25 that would follow the action). You'd get a much better sense of speed and probably more visually appealing shots than what I can do with the F2, F3, F4, F5 and F10 keys. It's pretty limited as I can't seem to find ways to move in the xyz axis when controlling the camera. So I can only tilt and pan the camera and zoom.

Also, the limited terrain is very annoying (Georgia is a pretty average-looking theater IMHO) as I'm often conflicted between what the game engine allows me to do and historical accuracy. Hopefully, DCS WWII will allow me to strive for better accuracy and for flexibility in what I want to create or show.

The DCS World mission editor is surprisingly robust. You can create groups of up to 4 aircraft, give them a formation option (like the finger four), create triggers (which is interesting in building a mission, but not of much interest for movie-making), choose aircraft skins... there are lots of very fun possibilities. The only thing I wished I could do is create wing formations of several groups. Right now, the only way to do it is to create several groups and create a trajectory or path (turning points, or fly-over points) for each individual group set at a given heading, altitude and speed.

Are there any tutorials for the CloD mission editor as well? I'm thinking of doing something similar for CloD. The result could be amazing, were it not for the horrible, HORRIBLE AI that crashes into the Channel for no good reason... The AI in DCS is surprisingly good. Every shot you see is a duel between several AI. They can even attack in tandem and split for a wingman to intercept the pursued bandit at a later stage of the duel. Personally, I feel pretty powerless against the DCS AI... they're just that much better than me :)

Also, there is one major complain I have that RRG needs to work on: the GUNS! For the love of god, please find a way to fix the framerate hits when a P-51 or a FW-190 fires its guns. I think it's a known issue with the game at the moment, I don't know if ED or RRG intends to fix it. The FPS hit is a very big annoyance I have with the game at the moment, as seen in some shots of the movie.

ATAG_Septic
Jan-26-2014, 09:31
Are there any tutorials for the CloD mission editor as well?

Hi Chuck_Owl, Pstyle has just uploaded some excellent tutorials for the FMB in CloD here; http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8124

Cheers,

Septic.:salute:

RupertVonHentzau
Jan-26-2014, 12:09
Maybe a rather stupid question:

So the FW 190 "Butcherbird" is out for DCS?

Got it (?): It´s a 1v1 (here: 5v5) mission with an AI Butcherbird - hope I´ll find this in my version of DCS World as well.

Catseye
Jan-26-2014, 13:10

Got it (?): It´s a 1v1 (here: 5v5) mission with an AI Butcherbird - hope I´ll find this in my version of DCS World as well.

Only AI,

Not released yet as a download.

Chuck_Owl
Jan-26-2014, 15:06

Like Cats said, the FW 190D9 is only available as an AI unit for the moment. In fact, it was a 12 vs 12 custom mission.

ChiefRedCloud
Jan-26-2014, 23:14
Very nice .... thanks ...:thumbsup:

Roblex
Jan-27-2014, 02:16
I was a little surprised at the quality of the graphics; did you have it turned down a few notches?

Chuck_Owl
Jan-30-2014, 23:15
No, everything was at ultra. Truth be told, I think the terrain graphics leave much to be desired in DCS.

Tempered
Feb-17-2014, 02:22
The low res ground graphics actually adds to the feeling of altitude, imho. Still, can't wait to see the improved ground graphics that DCS wwII will have.

Bounder!
Feb-17-2014, 05:12
Great video Chuck Owl, can't wait to have those FW-190s as flyable! The landscape and effects in DCS are old and certainly show their age, hope EDGE will give us a pretty game worthy of the excellent P-51 FM and CEM (which currently is my reason for loving DCS). On tracers, I'm not sure if anything has changed recently but I'm not getting the big hits to FPS online that I used to get. I did modify the tracers LOD following a guide on these forums (link) (http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7535&p=80776#post80776) - maybe worth a try if you haven't already?