PDA

View Full Version : Using FRAPS for flight recording

Wulf
Jan-25-2014, 20:28
FRAPS is often suggested as a mechanism for recording flights so, being an adventurous colonial type, I gave it a go. Unfortunately, whenever I try it, I end up with these short little clips of just a few seconds duration, which I assume isn't right. Anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

Mysticpuma
Jan-26-2014, 02:53
First thing I'd check is that the keypress you have for Fraps isn't linked to any of the controls innCloD, because there are lots ;)

I think too, without being at my computer there is a time limit option or file size option, so switch that off?

Finally it does generate large files, so make sure you have lots of space free. My 'FRAPS' drive is 1Tb just in-case :)

That's off the top of my head, so incorrect info. possible.

Cheers, MP

Kling
Jan-26-2014, 04:39
I had the same questions but was too embarrased to ask.. :/

My clips end up ca 45 secs long and then FRAPS starts on a new clip automatically. So if i want to have long clips i have to merge them later on. Each clips is ca 1.7gig each.

How do people make these 10mins clips on ATAG?
The Size is not the issue but would like to make long clips without merging many clips together. Is this possible with Frap?

Btw Great thread Wulf as we do indeed need more videos of Clod on youtube! ;)

Wulf
Jan-26-2014, 06:16

My clips end up ca 45 secs long and then FRAPS starts on a new clip automatically. So if i want to have long clips i have to merge them later on. Each clips is ca 1.7gig each.

The Size is not the issue but would like to make long clips without merging many clips together. Is this possible with Frap?

Same here. It seems so basic. I've been trying to use FRAPS on and off for ages but, as you say, it appears to chop the movie into a series of separate files (I only really worked this out in the last 24 hours). I've been hoping that if I just stayed quiet about this long enough, some other bloke would put his hand up and ask, and I could sit back in the shadows and take notes but in the end I couldn't take the strain and cracked.

I did a google search just before and learned that the various files can be joined into a single movie with one of the various downloadable utilities like 'StaxRip'. Just how this is done I have no idea yet. The post I read about this suggested it was 'easy' but I've heard that before. Anyway, I've downloaded StaxRip but that's as far as I've got.

Mystic, do you know how much freespace is required for a 5-6 minute FRAPS movie? I note that when I review the separate FRAPS files the first one runs fine but the second and third etc stop and start a bit. Not sure what that's all about???

ATAG_Septic
Jan-26-2014, 09:58
Hi Kling old chap,

MSI Afterburner records fine for me, you can choose what sounds to record such as your music playing and TS and what quality (so size of recorded file) too.

Coupled with the FPS limiter, which all but eliminates stutters for me, and the highly configurable on-screen display it's all win for me.

Clashes with SweetFX though.

Septic. :salute:

9./JG52 Ziegler
Jan-26-2014, 11:10
Dunno if this is applicable to you guys but if you have an Nvidia card of 600 series or better, Shadowplay is the way to go.

On autopilot it is always running a revolving clip (1 min to 20 min) that you set the time for. Get a great kill and tap the key it saves the clip. If you want more than 20min you use manual mode, turn it on and off and record as long as you like. The best feature is that it uses hardly any resources (FPS) since it is always running in a buffer.

Vlerkies
Jan-28-2014, 02:09
Been using fraps forever till recently.

Your options in fraps are to split the recording into 4gb files or not. You can untick this option.
Unregistered software may have limitations, update to latest version of the software.

Make sure Monitor Aero Desktop is unticked (DWM) in the general tab when recording game footage (its more stable)

Use the fps overlay, it will show you when fraps is recording and when it stop by the changing color (yellow / red)
As indicated above make sure your record hotkey is not conflicting with something in CloD, use a key combo to stop start recording.

That said, Fraps is pretty broken, desktop recording if you run a dual monitor is FUBAR.
Fraps was last updated a year ago.

If you run Nvidia, Shadowplay for sure is a better otpion.
Other options are MSI Afterburner, Bandicam.

No601_Merlin
Mar-19-2014, 10:17
I tested FRAPS which I have used for years against Bandicam and Mirillis Action, recording the Black Death track.
At full 1920 x 1200 and 60 fps this resulted in a 30 GB file for FRAPS ! Bandicam 12GB, Action could not be compared as the trial is limited in frame size. Dxtory is considered over complicated and not rated by most that have tried it.

Bandicam appeared to have the least effect on frame rate and allows you to use the processing power of the graphics card as well.

Injerin
Mar-19-2014, 12:17
Your options in fraps are to split the recording into 4gb files or not. You can untick this option.
Unregistered software may have limitations, update to latest version of the software.

For Fraps users this is exactly how it works^ I can record huge fraps videos in just 1 vid.

sw1ive
Mar-20-2014, 13:58
Finally it does generate large files, so make sure you have lots of space free. My 'FRAPS' drive is 1Tb just in-case :)
Cheers, MP

I use Fraps for rec (me too)
I got 160Gb rec of Cliffs of Dover

What program can I use for rec... with min of (rec space) ???

Free downlod program...

ATAG_Lolsav
Mar-20-2014, 14:04

Free downlod program...

Try this: https://obsproject.com/

Karaya
Apr-01-2014, 05:06
Watch this thread for an OBS tutorial

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9599

9./JG52 Reinhart
Apr-01-2014, 13:53
Try this: https://obsproject.com/

Watch this thread for an OBS tutorial

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9599

+100

Trust me OBS is the way to go!

tityus
Apr-04-2014, 08:30
I use Fraps for rec (me too)
I got 160Gb rec of Cliffs of Dover
Free downlod program...

A few words about file size...

There's a compromise between resolution and file size. More image info will result in larger files. Well, that's what compression tackles. Basically, a codec such as H264 (and others) will do some number crunching on the image data trying to produce smaller files without perceivable loss of appearance.

FRAPS saves the data without compression, hence the huge files. One workflow that I like, is to use FRAPS, with file split at 4GB, and after one has made his final cut using an editing software, a compressed version is produced.

However, if there's no need for that sort of end result, a software that compresses the data when recording the screen may be time saving.

té mais

Bowsewr
Apr-05-2014, 12:59
Hey there Wulf,

So i just started playing with recording about 2 weeks ago. I too have been using FRAPS. Under MOVIES tab make sure you have a key set to enable capture and also make sure whatever drive you are recording to has PLENTY of room. LIke others have said, FRAPS records uncompressed HUGE files.

If you do go with the FRAPS option i recommend These programs
--
MP4 video converter. This program takes a recorded video and compresses it to other formats with minimal quality loss.

http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/products/dvd/Free-MP4-Video-Converter.htm#.U0AzQPldV8E
--

Free Video Joiner: I have started using only this one and am finding with the right setting im not needing to use the program mentioned above. If you do make your videos split in 4gb sections you may end up with a good line of them. I make folders for each recording and keep them separated. Then you can add the 4gb files into this program and it will join them together in one video. Also, you can choose what the output format and quality will be. Example of how AWESOME this program is.

My 4gb split recording folder for my folder "3 Wing Raid" is 56.6gb. for 27minutes of video
After using the Free Video Joiner with an output format of "AVI: HD Video 1080p: H.264/AVC, 4200kbps.." it compressed it still at a true quality 1920x1080 but with a size of 883mb total.
LINK: http://www.free-video-joiner.com/index.html

Here is the upload here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDq3XI4IF_c

I do want to try OBS though. I use it to livestream but havent played with the recording features.

Wulf
Apr-05-2014, 18:58
Hey there Wulf,

So i just started playing with recording about 2 weeks ago. I too have been using FRAPS. Under MOVIES tab make sure you have a key set to enable capture and also make sure whatever drive you are recording to has PLENTY of room. LIke others have said, FRAPS records uncompressed HUGE files.

If you do go with the FRAPS option i recommend These programs
--
MP4 video converter. This program takes a recorded video and compresses it to other formats with minimal quality loss.

http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/products/dvd/Free-MP4-Video-Converter.htm#.U0AzQPldV8E
--

Free Video Joiner: I have started using only this one and am finding with the right setting im not needing to use the program mentioned above. If you do make your videos split in 4gb sections you may end up with a good line of them. I make folders for each recording and keep them separated. Then you can add the 4gb files into this program and it will join them together in one video. Also, you can choose what the output format and quality will be. Example of how AWESOME this program is.

My 4gb split recording folder for my folder "3 Wing Raid" is 56.6gb. for 27minutes of video
After using the Free Video Joiner with an output format of "AVI: HD Video 1080p: H.264/AVC, 4200kbps.." it compressed it still at a true quality 1920x1080 but with a size of 883mb total.
LINK: http://www.free-video-joiner.com/index.html

Here is the upload here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDq3XI4IF_c

I do want to try OBS though. I use it to livestream but havent played with the recording features.

Thanks Bowsewr that's much appreciated. I'll have a go and see what happens. Thanks again.:thumbsup: