PDA

View Full Version : Team Fusion update - January 31st 2014 - Are we there yet?

Mysticpuma
Jan-31-2014, 09:05
No!

:recon: :sorry: :smash: whaa :pcguy: :wf: :TS:

Okay, seriously though we are still testing. This week we have out fourth revision of the release candidate to test behind closed doors and it includes (for testing) multiple fixes, tweaks, new features and many more behind the scenes goodies.

Airfield Sirens are being worked on as a bug was found that caused them to go off whether you were a friendly or enemy aircraft! Imagine the panic hearing the siren only to find out it was you that set it off :doh:
this is now a thing of the past and all sorted. Flak has been looked at at this is a big reason why we can't release it just yet until this is thoroughly tested. AAA accuracy has been 'fixed' after a few lines of code were found to be causing issues with the gunners firing randomly into the air, and then the damage effects from the shrapnel were/are seriously undermodelled. This has been fixed but imagine now that mission that were built, online and offline, have more accurate flak. Well previously these were built with a lot of AAA to make up for the fact the flak was very inaccurate. So now imagine having very accurate flak with a lot of AAA in a mission. Probably a chance you'll never ever reach the target! So we need to test this thoroughly before it goes into the wild.

In an image posted by ATAG_Bliss in the screenshots thread, it shows the fog effects have been 'found' and re-introduced. This came about due to the annoying horizon bug that has plagued the game since the last official patches. For those who haven't noticed it, it was a straight line that appeared across a virtual horizon, about 5% opacity and could be seen over the land, inside a cockpit, in-fact at various angles it was just there.... :coffeeyes:

This has been a long running discussion in the TF forums....how to get rid of it. Well, it's been fixed by re-writing one of the shaders and during this work, it also becae apparent that it now allows proper representation of smoke and fog effects.

It must be stressed that the video you will see linked below contains footage showing the comparison and it really is a huge difference. I stress though, that the smoke in the video is not optimised and the mission I made to show off the fog/horizon fix was made effectively to overload the particle system. London really was burning! Our new effects guys (one on vacation at the moment) are set to get to work on rebuilding the particle effects and making them even more fps friendly. The smoke in the video is not optimised and fps hovered around the 21-25fps....but you'll see why ;) The new shader is set to be released with v4.01 ;)

Finally, here is the video of continuing WiP as we move forward understanding the code and effects. This is a long video (nearly 10-minutes) but it includes footage of cockpit repaints for the Bf-110, the new shader effects and finally work from our guys in the Sound Studio. I must stress the Sound Studio is really early WiP but already it is looking/sounding like they are having fun learning new effects and re-working the soundbank. Please understand, we are not sure if these will make v4.01 or will have to wait until v5.00, but hopefully you can get n idea of what they are 'playing' with? ;)

Here goes then, and hopefully the next update will be v4.01 ;)

Cheers, MP/TF

https://vimeo.com/85381354

https://vimeo.com/85381354

Mattias
Jan-31-2014, 09:27
Thank you for the update MP :salute:

I just wanted to add that we believe we finally cracked the "bf109 lawndart bug". This is the Bug with capital B and the fact its taken longer to fix than we thought is the reason this patch has been delayed. But now we're finally starting to see the light in the end of the tunnel :thumbsup:

Cheers/m

ATAG_Septic
Jan-31-2014, 09:27
Brilliant stuff MP and TF!

Septic. :salute:

wumas
Jan-31-2014, 09:31
wow~~~wonderful work~~
i can`t wait for this
is it possible to know when it is released??

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Jan-31-2014, 09:35
wow~~~wonderful work~~
i can`t wait for this
is it possible to know when it is released??

It is released when we are sure all of the problems have been dealt with. So, sadly, we can't promise a date.
Every time we think its ready.... someone seems to find something that needs to be fixed!

But... there is sooooooo much more in 4.01 than was originally planned. To me, it's almost deserving to be called TF 5 ;)

JG27-Gaidin
Jan-31-2014, 09:38
Salute and Howdy All!!

Nice work on the update, everyone at Team Fusion!! The new Shaders look excellent!! Thank you for all your hard work to make this game better for us Junkies!!

Question:

Will the re-worked Shaders help with the hazing or is that something that is supposed to be in place?

Thanks again,
Gaidin

Wulf
Jan-31-2014, 09:39
I love the new WIP sounds. Very cool. Thanks

DUI
Jan-31-2014, 09:39
Ohhh, an even more high-resolution textured Bf 110 cockpit: what a difference this makes to an already great looking cockpit!!
The obvious question: (When) will the other planes get those "I can see every grain of dust"-cockpits?

London looks amazing with the smoke and fog! The "golden hour" also seems to be more intense.

The sounds sound extremely promissing to me. The cannons feel even more devastating and for the first time the MG17 sound dangerously. And the flak battery at 6:00 - only kamikaze will dare to attack those...

And nice to see that the drivable(?) tanks are also on a good way: it seems as if they will get a more complex damage model, right?

To express the emotions the same way as you did:

:stunned: :satisfied: :gourmet: :kiss: :woohoo: :goodluck:

Macro
Jan-31-2014, 09:44
Nice one guys looking foward to it

dburne
Jan-31-2014, 09:53
Looking and sounding great guys, thanks for the update really looking forward to this!

GERMANWOLF
Jan-31-2014, 09:56
Much more real the sounds of cannon 109!
Great job
:devilish:

Falco
Jan-31-2014, 10:16
Awesome guys, fog and smoke effects look great, really appreciate all your hard work:salute:

Meaks
Jan-31-2014, 10:34
Great work as always TF,love the new WIP sounds especially the louder contact sound with the ground the aircraft now makes upon landing,much more realistic,superb :thumbsup:

StormBat
Jan-31-2014, 10:52
:woohoo::nw::ilike::kiss: Is this a dream? If I pinch myself will I wake up? You guys have gone above and beyond since you formed and I just wanted to say thank you so very much! Your hard work and dedication is truly an inspiration and a privilege to see evolve through the stages. It is very much appreciated by me and the community as a whole. Keeping the dream alive and creating brand new ones. Amazing to the power of WOW! :salute::cheers:

Blitzen
Jan-31-2014, 11:06
Am practically n the edge of my seat oer this next pach,but I have a serious question that I hope someone here can/will answer. I have my for lack of a better word"Malta" version of the sim in a separate folder install as instructed in the how-to-install readme; will the newest patch work for this install as well when it becomes available? For that matter a question Ihave not seen asked & answered:can I install the current4.0 patch on my Malta install?I'd love to see those sparkling canopies over the Med ,esp when we have the real deal Malta map which hopefully will be with us soon...:thumbsup:

chris455
Jan-31-2014, 11:14
Video is missing?

ATAG_Ribbs
Jan-31-2014, 11:14
Awesome update! Sounds and smoke effects look and sound amazing! S!

PS second video is set to private ;)

Drstrangelove109
Jan-31-2014, 11:21
Hello everyone....I am not sure why, but I am not seeing the video link here. Could you re-post?

Thank you.

Mattias
Jan-31-2014, 11:25
Hello everyone....I am not sure why, but I am not seeing the video link here. Could you re-post?

Thank you.

:salute:

It was there just minutes ago -I think it's just some temporary problems with vimeo :thumbsup:

SUNSUN
Jan-31-2014, 11:28
Wow!

Davis0079
Jan-31-2014, 11:31
AHHHhhh...we crashed Vimeo...plz fix before the riots start....

Kai Lae
Jan-31-2014, 11:36
Like video. Do not like that you can't see it unless you log in here, so you can't link it anywhere else

ATAG_Colander
Jan-31-2014, 11:37
Like video. Do not like that you can't see it unless you log in here, so you can't link it anywhere else

The link to the video is bellow the embedded video. You can use that one.

ATAG_Septic
Jan-31-2014, 11:40
I can watch the embed ok but neither of the two links below it are loading, as if vimeo is not responding.

Septic.

9./JG52_J-HAT
Jan-31-2014, 11:50
Nice update, thanks MP!

Vimeo isn't work well here either. I try on the desktop later. But from what I could see of one of the videos (it was too choppy), it looks really nice. The atmosphere with the new smoke is cool! And nice to see the flak shooting in the right direction!

Mar28
Jan-31-2014, 11:57
Good News are always wellcome!!!
Good to know that the bugs are going to be vanished and this simulator is getting even better with time!:-)
Thanks for Your Hard work!!!
Martim

Mysticpuma
Jan-31-2014, 11:58
Yes, looks like Vimeo is having a senior moment. Check back in a bit, should be okay then. Outside of my control, sorry :)

JanoD
Jan-31-2014, 12:10
Looks pretty amazing, thank you for this, guys :) , just please, don´t stop :).

heinkill
Jan-31-2014, 12:12
Thank you for the update MP :salute:

I just wanted to add that we believe we finally cracked the "bf109 lawndart bug". This is the Bug with capital B and the fact its taken longer to fix than we thought is the reason this patch has been delayed. But now we're finally starting to see the light in the end of the tunnel :thumbsup:

Cheers/m

Fantastic news! Isn't just the 109 though is it? Happens also with a lot of other fighters diving from altitude eg G50 or CR42? Spits and Hurris not so much...

H

Mattias
Jan-31-2014, 12:16
Fantastic news! Isn't just the 109 though is it? Happens also with a lot of other fighters diving from altitude eg G50 or CR42? Spits and Hurris not so much...

H

Yes you are absolutely right -we just call it the "109 lawndart bug" because the 109's suffered the most, but the fix seems to work for all planes :thumbsup:

Cheers/m

heinkill
Jan-31-2014, 12:16
Am practically n the edge of my seat oer this next pach,but I have a serious question that I hope someone here can/will answer. I have my for lack of a better word"Malta" version of the sim in a separate folder install as instructed in the how-to-install readme; will the newest patch work for this install as well when it becomes available? For that matter a question Ihave not seen asked & answered:can I install the current4.0 patch on my Malta install?I'd love to see those sparkling canopies over the Med ,esp when we have the real deal Malta map which hopefully will be with us soon...:thumbsup:

As would we all Sir!

Malta mod with the desert landscape contains some of the fps optimisation work that went into patch 3.01 but is not compatible with TF mod.

A TF mod compatible Malta mission pack and 2 full campaigns (using the Autumn map instead of desert textures) will be released soon after 4.01 is available...more here

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8081

A real new med map would be great...patch v 5.0? :)

H

ATAG_Bliss
Jan-31-2014, 12:31
Looks like vimeo and the video is back up :D

Great vid as always MP. :salute:

ChiefRedCloud
Jan-31-2014, 12:38
Fantastic stuff this ..... thanks ... :thumbsup:

Jaws
Jan-31-2014, 13:02
Oh, so much cool stuff. Love the mist. Looks like it also gives some nice colour to the early mornings. :salute::iloveu:

kapa
Jan-31-2014, 13:39
Smoke effects look great, GJ TF :thumbsup:

DonKojote
Jan-31-2014, 13:56
Hi guys.

I am new to the forum and Clod. Just wanted to say thank you for all your hard work and for keeping this game alive. After few days of testing I am almost happy with the way Clod looks and plays. I still get stutters and I wish there was AA that would get rid of jaggies on shadows but overall I went from thinking that this game was terrible to enjoying it in it's current form. It's amazing how you keep adding new stuff and fixing the game. I even managed to convince four of my Rise of Flight squadmates to install TF 4.0 and play online. They all agreed that TF mod is great and makes Clod playable , and one of the guys was swearing to never play it before :) .

S.

DonKojote

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Jan-31-2014, 14:02
Nice Video Mystic. :thumbsup:

Chivas
Jan-31-2014, 14:03
The WIP sound is amazing, and really makes you feel like there is a war going on. I thought the original blurry gauges were just a factor of my poor eyesight. :) The WIP smoke over London really needs the wind modeled to make it look more realistic. The smoke looks kind of goofy atleast from my persepective, as the smoke seldom goes straight up even in the lightest air movement. That said I'm sure your graphic artists are well aware of what I'm talking about and are doing what they can.

ATAG_Bliss
Jan-31-2014, 14:23
The WIP sound is amazing, and really makes you feel like there is a war going on. I thought the original blurry gauges were just a factor of my poor eyesight. :) The WIP smoke over London really needs the wind modeled to make it look more realistic. The smoke looks kind of goofy atleast from my persepective, as the smoke seldom goes straight up even in the lightest air movement. That said I'm sure your graphic artists are well aware of what I'm talking about and are doing what they can.

Don't worry, all the smoke moves in the wind and in the direction of the real wind, MP just didn't have any of it turned on :thumbsup:

ATAG_Septic
Jan-31-2014, 15:08
Hi DonKojote,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for spreading the word to your Squad!

Cheers,

Septic. :salute:

Hi guys.

I am new to the forum and Clod. Just wanted to say thank you for all your hard work and for keeping this game alive. After few days of testing I am almost happy with the way Clod looks and plays. I still get stutters and I wish there was AA that would get rid of jaggies on shadows but overall I went from thinking that this game was terrible to enjoying it in it's current form. It's amazing how you keep adding new stuff and fixing the game. I even managed to convince four of my Rise of Flight squadmates to install TF 4.0 and play online. They all agreed that TF mod is great and makes Clod playable , and one of the guys was swearing to never play it before :) .

S.

DonKojote

Bear Pilot
Jan-31-2014, 15:15
Great update!!! I have to admit, my favorite part was the sounds but it was all sooo much improved. It's funny how you don't realize how much better something can be until you see/hear the difference.

Particularly with the 110 cockpit, I thought the WIP was a huge difference and I never even thought it needed any work.

It's been almost a year since I first installed and played CloD and I distinctly remember thinking it was the best flight sim I had ever tried.

Thank you for making a liar out of me. Feel free to do it, well, as many more times as you want :)

:salute: TF

No.54 Ghost (KL-G)
Jan-31-2014, 15:45
amazing job guys!

the new mg and cannon sounds are so cool.
from how far away will the smoke be visible?
and was that a new engine sound for the hurricane or was it just me playing it through my speakers instead of my headphones?

Blitzen
Jan-31-2014, 16:53
As would we all Sir!

Malta mod with the desert landscape contains some of the fps optimisation work that went into patch 3.01 but is not compatible with TF mod.

A TF mod compatible Malta mission pack and 2 full campaigns (using the Autumn map instead of desert textures) will be released soon after 4.01 is available...more here

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8081

A real new med map would be great...patch v 5.0? :)

H

Good news..great help & something more to look forward to!:thumbsup:

♣_Spiritus_♣
Jan-31-2014, 18:15
Looking better and better. I would have been happy with just the ability to rearm and refuel on MP rather than spawning anew but instead you guys are giving us so much more. You guys are a bunch of saints... I think TF has performed at least three miracles already.

Smoke and fog look awesome, can't wait to see how wind affects this new look and everything else you guys have done.

Kling
Jan-31-2014, 18:26
Looking better and better. I would have been happy with just the ability to rearm and refuel on MP rather than spawning anew but instead you guys are giving us so much more. You guys are a bunch of saints... I think TF has performed at least three miracles already.

Smoke and fog look awesome, can't wait to see how wind affects this new look and everything else you guys have done.

Rearm and refuel will most likely be available in TF4.01 but has to be activated on the server as well! ;)

wumas
Jan-31-2014, 22:10
It is released when we are sure all of the problems have been dealt with. So, sadly, we can't promise a date.
Every time we think its ready.... someone seems to find something that needs to be fixed!

But... there is sooooooo much more in 4.01 than was originally planned. To me, it's almost deserving to be called TF 5 ;)

thanks for your reply..
I think I would try to pay more patience to wait.
Good things are always worth to wait for...
Good Job
:thumbsup:

TheVino3
Jan-31-2014, 22:25
amazing job guys!

the new mg and cannon sounds are so cool.
from how far away will the smoke be visible?
and was that a new engine sound for the hurricane or was it just me playing it through my speakers instead of my headphones?

Ignore the Merlin sounds in the video, they are the vanilla ones that were just left in, that part of the video is showcasing the touchdown sounds, or the tyre "thump".

ATAG_Lewis
Jan-31-2014, 22:41
Always in Awe......Kudos TF....

Loved the 109 machine gun ....closest to the ripping linen sound that we are told of thus far...

Skoshi_Tiger
Feb-01-2014, 00:10
It's little things like how the propagation of sound is modeled over distance that blow me away each time.

So much detail went/is going into this sim!

Thanks so much to all of TF!

Ekko
Feb-01-2014, 03:59
:thumbsup:Thank you TF

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

10/10

Mastiff
Feb-01-2014, 07:04
Wow really awesome work TF...

fog works correctly now, how come its not over the water also, as it should be, and wrapping around the bridges..

looks awesome I love the fog...

ATAG_EvangelusE
Feb-01-2014, 07:22
Wow! Really looking forward to the next milestone patch, amazed at what you are doing for us - considering all the new significant changes maybe it should at least be update TF4.5 (not a measly + 0.01 fix patch which just does not do justice at all).

.....many thanks TF :thumbsup:

101/7_Savas
Feb-01-2014, 07:37
Great update!
Thx!
http://i59.tinypic.com/11273vd.gif http://files-cloud.enjin.com/45374/smiley/703_Smile_great_thumbs.gif

http://noob.hu/2010/10/01/p0204.gif

Dauntless
Feb-01-2014, 09:24
:thumbsup:

heinkill
Feb-01-2014, 13:02
PS love the way the tank cooks up with a jet of flame first, then the smoke.

Schmalzfaust
Feb-01-2014, 13:35
I can't watch the video again :(

"We've experienced some player instability due to a DDoS attack,
but we're working hard to restore order"

GGGRrrrRR

Mysticpuma
Feb-01-2014, 14:10
Don't worry, it will be worth the wait :)

danperin
Feb-01-2014, 16:25
Awesome as always mate! :)

Great video! :salute:

Wolfskid
Feb-02-2014, 05:14
Thank you MP for this great Video.

And the BIG Thanks going to TEAM FUSION;;).

A good work needs her time....

Wolfskid

9./JG52 Steiner
Feb-02-2014, 13:44
Hats off to the sound team, the sounds are a big leap forward let's hope these sounds make the 4.01 update :thumbsup:

9./JG52 Ziegler
Feb-02-2014, 15:01
The sounds are amazing!!!! :salute:

chris455
Feb-02-2014, 18:30
The sounds are amazing!!!! :salute:
Agreed; the sounds are top notch. So are the other effects.
Can we also look forward to a similar re-work for the .303s?

Osprey
Feb-03-2014, 06:08
Lovely stuff.

I can see that I need to look at upgrading my sound system :) I particularly like the sound delay as you get further away, I saw in an early 'controllable vehicles' video from 1C that there was no delay an that was a bit odd.

At what point are TF planning on promoting this stuff to the tank lovers in WoT etc? This is a new area, more people on board is better. Doesn't this chime in with that whole 'make it easier for newbies to join' with dumbed down server settings?

I am sure there are many tank people who are as keen and talented as many of the TF modders, maybe there is opportunity to extend the objects modelling / content part of COD.

Or maybe (hopefully) this is all a part of the long term timeline.

ATAG_Slipstream
Feb-03-2014, 09:25
Agreed; the sounds are top notch. So are the other effects.
Can we also look forward to a similar re-work for the .303s?

Team Fusion is an ongoing project, so in short the answer is yes :)

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Feb-03-2014, 14:00
Lovely stuff.

I can see that I need to look at upgrading my sound system :) I particularly like the sound delay as you get further away, I saw in an early 'controllable vehicles' video from 1C that there was no delay an that was a bit odd.

At what point are TF planning on promoting this stuff to the tank lovers in WoT etc? This is a new area, more people on board is better. Doesn't this chime in with that whole 'make it easier for newbies to join' with dumbed down server settings?

I am sure there are many tank people who are as keen and talented as many of the TF modders, maybe there is opportunity to extend the objects modelling / content part of COD.

Or maybe (hopefully) this is all a part of the long term timeline.

The tanks and vehicles are a second priority for the team and for the community.

We were happy to enable them, and the AAA which will come with TF 4.01, but we can't spend a lot of time with these aspects of the game when there are so many aircraft which need cockpits or which could be developed from scratch.

If we get a person or group of people who are interested in working on the vehicles and developing them further, then we'll be happy to welcome them to the team.

ATAG_Ribbs
Feb-03-2014, 18:38
The tanks and vehicles are a second priority for the team and for the community.

We were happy to enable them, and the AAA which will come with TF 4.01, but we can't spend a lot of time with these aspects of the game when there are so many aircraft which need cockpits or which could be developed from scratch.

If we get a person or group of people who are interested in working on the vehicles and developing them further, then we'll be happy to welcome them to the team.

Sounds like the invitation was just extended! Hopefully some talented people will step up to improve this aspect of the game... that definitely needs some TLC. From what I have seen it really looks like it could be fun! :)

Broodwich
Feb-04-2014, 01:09
New sounds are awesome! I hope the effect from being shot is changed too, it needs an upgrade :salute:

Headshot
Feb-04-2014, 03:57
The sounds are great.

I may have missed it but are the air raid sirens coming with the next patch .
Also I remember flank blasts used to really wake you up with a boom(always made me jump) are they no longer in the game ?

Kling
Feb-04-2014, 04:35
The sounds are great.

I may have missed it but are the air raid sirens coming with the next patch .
Also I remember flank blasts used to really wake you up with a boom(always made me jump) are they no longer in the game ?

This is all under progress! ;)
New sirens will come in the next patch and do indeed add lots of immersion when standing on the airfield while being attacked.

New flak sounds are also under construction but wont be in the next patch.
The end result will please you! ;)

Headshot
Feb-04-2014, 04:46
This is all under progress! ;)
New sirens will come in the next patch and do indeed add lots of immersion when standing on the airfield while being attacked.

New flak sounds are also under construction but wont be in the next patch.
The end result will please you! ;)

Unbelievable. Man I love you guys (you know like when you love a beer or a muscle car).
Thanks

Kling
Feb-04-2014, 05:34
Unbelievable. Man I love you guys (you know like when you love a beer or a muscle car).
Thanks

Lol!!!

Triad773
Feb-04-2014, 13:41
Wow you guys really rock :stunned: And so do those MGs with the subwoofer cranked up :thumbsup:

Love the atmospherics- a very nice improvement!

Keep on rocking!

Thanks for all your work to improve the sim 8)

Pitti
Feb-04-2014, 16:12
Nice update! :)

But I wonder if the 109 weapon sounds are a bit too loud in flight? I would expect that the engine sound and the airstream would mute the weapon sound quite a bit when sitting in the cockpit during the flight.
Of course I could be wrong with that. I would like to hear other's opinions on that. Does anyone have any references (statements from pilots and so) regarding the loudness of weapons when sitting in the cockpit during the flight?

ATAG_Headshot
Feb-04-2014, 17:21
Nice update! :)

But I wonder if the 109 weapon sounds are a bit too loud in flight? I would expect that the engine sound and the airstream would mute the weapon sound quite a bit when sitting in the cockpit during the flight.
Of course I could be wrong with that. I would like to hear other's opinions on that. Does anyone have any references (statements from pilots and so) regarding the loudness of weapons when sitting in the cockpit during the flight?

Last fall I was at work and got sent out to paint the lines at a local Rugby club. While I was doing that I talked for a few minutes with an elderly gentleman who mentioned that one of his friends was a spitfire pilot in the battle of Britain. We were talking about how loud my line painter was and he mentioned that his friend always brought up the noise from flying the spitfire. I said something around the line of "Well ya, but they have a huge engine really close to your head" and he said no, his friend always said it was the guns. You could fly all day long and still be able to hear something at the end, but as soon as you pulled the trigger even for a second your ears just stopped working. This is a spitfire, not a 109, and the spit had 8 guns instead of two but I imagine it would still be louder than expected. Unfortunately I got rushed out of there at the end of the day and wasn't able to grab the pilots name. I really wish I had been able to.

Osprey
Feb-04-2014, 17:33

Understood, and expected since we are pilots it's my personal priority too. I wonder how we could reach tank people though, the more modellers the more content.

Chivas
Feb-04-2014, 19:18
I really like the sound of the 109's guns in the update. I much prefer them too loud, than low. When their loud it feels like your firing something lethal, rather than joining the Ladies Auxiliary Sewing Team. ;) I have no idea how difficult it would be, but the ability to adjust individual sound levels for the engine, guns, wind, etc would be a nice offline/server option to have one day.

Mysticpuma
Feb-04-2014, 19:28
Talking with Art Fiedler a P-51 Ace, I asked him about the gun sounds inside the cockpit. He said " well I gotta tell you it wasn't like expected to hear. The one day I was flying around and tested the guns....boy I nearly jumped out of my skin! It was like a huge roar or ripping sound that I could hear and I wondered if something had fallen off my aircraft!"

So the guns (and I realise that was 6x .50 calibre) certainly could be heard.

Cheers, MP

Bear Pilot
Feb-04-2014, 19:47
Those are very interesting stories ATAG_Headshot and Mystic!

I too LOVE the new sounds of the cannon and MG's. They really do sound like they pack a punch now!

Pancake
Feb-04-2014, 20:33
it only very recent that games are getting gun sound right, BF3 a really good example of one of the best, I used to record all the gun sound going off in the distance and the explosions and lesion to them when I was going to sleep. it better then lessoning to bird song I tell you!!!.

Broodwich
Feb-04-2014, 22:29
In Samurai! by Saburo Sakai, because of lack of radios in the Zero, he stated he fired a burst of his cannon to warn a wingman several kilometers away of an attacking aircraft. Ive really been disappointed with gun sounds in planes and how quiet they are relative to everything else

Uwe
Feb-05-2014, 01:55
In Samurai! by Saburo Sakai, because of lack of radios in the Zero, he stated he fired a burst of his cannon to warn a wingman several kilometers away of an attacking aircraft. Ive really been disappointed with gun sounds in planes and how quiet they are relative to everything else

Lol what?!
If he actually said he warned people in fast moving airplanes from several KILOMETERS away with the sound of cannon fire hes a damn liar.
Abrams and BFV main guns aren't even that loud, Hell you can hardly hear them over a generator from that range.

ATAG_Naz
Feb-05-2014, 03:15
Those are very interesting reports ATAG_Headshot and MysticPuma ... I've always wanted/preferred really loud "beefy" gun sounds in cockpit whenever I've flown any sim, but I've always assumed it would be unrealistic though because of the close engine proximity. Glad to hear such reports from people who know better.

Can't wait for the sound updates amongst all the rest of what TF are working on

Joker
Feb-05-2014, 04:56
This is inspiring stuff and clearly seats Cliffs Of Dover as 'a' continuing and going forward WW2 Sim of choice.

We'll play and enjoy.

I am sure we players, can help the cause by sharing, promoting, making videos and effectively, doing the marketing !
I'll do my bit.

Headshot
Feb-05-2014, 05:38
I for one don't care too much if some sound are clearer or boomier in the game than real life and as someone said could be adjustable to personal preference. As long as no advantage is given such as sound raidar. I would like to know my aircraft is being hit or stalling, sound may be the only way. You may not hear some things in RL but you can't feel the shock waves through the airframe in a game either so a compromise between the two would add to emersion and usability.

ATAG_Naz
Feb-05-2014, 05:47
I for one don't care too much if some sound are clearer or boomier in the game than real life and as someone said could be adjustable to personal preference. As long as no advantage is given such as sound raidar. I would like to know my aircraft is being hit or stalling, sound may be the only way. You may not hear some things in RL but you can't feel the shock waves through the airframe in a game either so a compromise between the two would add to emersion and usability.

Have to say I agree. :thumbsup:

skc
Feb-05-2014, 07:18
WOW!!! Am really looking forward! Thanks guys for all the work you are making freely available for all!:)

skc
Feb-05-2014, 07:24
Those are very interesting reports ATAG_Headshot and MysticPuma ... I've always wanted/preferred really loud "beefy" gun sounds in cockpit whenever I've flown any sim, but I've always assumed it would be unrealistic though because of the close engine proximity. Glad to hear such reports from people who know better.

Can't wait for the sound updates amongst all the rest of what TF are working on

My dad said in WW2 the sound of a ME109's machine guns strafing them was similar to that of the sound of "fast tearing cloth" but louder. (From the ground at least)

Davis0079
Feb-05-2014, 07:54
when i can open the window and hear the bullet impact 200m away (MGs...not my cannons) over the actual firing of the gun 1 meter away, it make me think there is room for adjustment.....

ATAG_Naz
Feb-05-2014, 08:23
when i can open the window and hear the bullet impact 200m away (MGs...not my cannons) over the actual firing of the gun 1 meter away, it make me think there is room for adjustment.....

LOL...so true mate

TheVino3
Feb-05-2014, 08:59

This will be something we can fix soon. Not in time for the upcoming release, but for TF5.00 sound oddities like this should be a thing of the past :salute:

ATAG_Slipstream
Feb-05-2014, 09:57
Can people who have noticed bugs or errors please report them in the relevant part of the forum, or on the Team Fusion bug-tracker. It makes it much easier for us to find and deal with issues if they are all in a centralized location.

Thankyou :salute:

Broodwich
Feb-05-2014, 21:15
Lol what?!
If he actually said he warned people in fast moving airplanes from several KILOMETERS away with the sound of cannon fire hes a damn liar.
Abrams and BFV main guns aren't even that loud, Hell you can hardly hear them over a generator from that range.

My mistake, actual quote (page 143)

On the return to Lae, Sasai's fighter trio moved nearly two miles ahead of the main formation. I was so pleased with the lieutenant's new status as an ace that I failed to pay attention the widening gulf of his V flight, a failure which had almost fatal consequences.
We were crossing the Owen Stanley Range, Sasai's fighters well ahead of us, when a lone Airacobra plunged like an arrow from a high cloud layer directly at the unsuspecting Zeros. Never did I regret our lack of radios as much as I did at that moment. There was no way to warn Sasai; despite my speed of almost 300 knots with the engine on maximum overboost, I could not reach the P-39 in time to draw him off. Fortunately for Sasai, the enemy pilot did not make his attack from above. Instead, he chose the "submarine approach," diving below and behind the other fighters, then pulling up in a rapid zoom and firing from below.
I was less than 800 yards away when the P-39 hauled up in a screaming climb to hit Sasai from below. In desperation I jammed down on the cannon trigger, hoping the report would warn Sasai or possibly alarm the enemy pilot into breaking off his attack. The P-39 did not waver, but Sasai finally heard the cannon reports...

Still definitely louder than currently, but I misremembered a bit
Awesome book btw :D

Kling
Feb-05-2014, 23:57
I think he saw the tracers from the cannons not heard them!! ;)

Headshot
Feb-06-2014, 01:21
I don't know but I think it's possible the shock wave may have been felt/heard on things like the canopy not to mention pushing up a wing(not that hard in flight). Over my lifetime working on mine sites and even at home sometimes you can feel the shock wave as much as hear them. Even a jackhammer or wacker packer can be felt from quite large distances. The body of an ac would be like a large soundboard.

EG14_Marcast
Feb-06-2014, 03:43
AAA accuracy has been 'fixed' after a few lines of code were found to be causing issues with the gunners firing randomly into the air, and then the damage effects from the shrapnel were/are seriously undermodelled. This has been fixed but imagine now that mission that were built, online and offline, have more accurate flak. Well previously these were built with a lot of AAA to make up for the fact the flak was very inaccurate. So now imagine having very accurate flak with a lot of AAA in a mission. Probably a chance you'll never ever reach the target! So we need to test this thoroughly before it goes into the wild.

It’s gonna get tough for bombers, considering that many targets are suited for ground attack….will this at least be compensated by a (much) increased gunners’ skill?

Broodwich
Feb-06-2014, 10:40
I think he saw the tracers from the cannons not heard them!! ;)

At his low six?

I'll have to look again but I seem to recall him saying he could hear the hellcat's guns as they were making firing passes at him. Not quite as impressive as this example but still not something you see in game

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Feb-06-2014, 11:17
It’s gonna get tough for bombers, considering that many targets are suited for ground attack….will this at least be compensated by a (much) increased gunners’ skill?

Mission makers are going to have to change the numbers of guns on the maps.
Also, bombers are going to have to team up in greater numbers, and ask for escorts.

The more accurate flak should;
1. Mark the presence of enemy aircraft more accurately (at the moment, if you see flak, you have no idea where the enemy is, with the improved flak, this should change), and
2. Be better at honing in on lone aircraft.

heinkill
Feb-07-2014, 12:22
Mission makers are going to have to change the numbers of guns on the maps.
Also, bombers are going to have to team up in greater numbers, and ask for escorts.

The more accurate flak should;
1. Mark the presence of enemy aircraft more accurately (at the moment, if you see flak, you have no idea where the enemy is, with the improved flak, this should change), and
2. Be better at honing in on lone aircraft.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out on Malta. The amount of AAA builds up throughhout the campaign until the last five missions where the number of barrels, and calibre, is as close as possible as I could get to historical records for 1942, where it peaked.

There were at that time 112 heavy AAA (3.7", 3" and 4.5") and 118 light AAA (Bofors) barrels.

Am very interested to see what it is like to fly over 200 AAA guns in 4.01!

H

ATAG_Colander
Feb-07-2014, 12:23
Will be interesting to see how it plays out on Malta. The amount of AAA builds up throughhout the campaign until the last five missions where the number of barrels, and calibre, is as close as possible as I could get to historical records for 1942, where it peaked.

There were at that time 112 heavy AAA (3.7", 3" and 4.5") and 118 light AAA (Bofors) barrels.

Am very interested to see what it is like to fly over 200 AAA guns in 4.01!

H

Hehehehe, probably not a good result if flying straight and level :)

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Feb-07-2014, 13:44
Hehehehe, probably not a good result if flying straight and level :)

This is why the bombers level bombed from 20,000 ft/6000 meters. Height provides a lot more safety.

In December of 1940, the Germans attempted to bomb the British carrier HMS Illustrious when it was Malta harbour for repairs.

They used Stukas for this, among other aircraft, and the Stukas had very high casualties dive bombing at lower altitudes, and didn't hit the carrier.

The British set up a box barrage over the harbour, which made it almost suicidal for the Germans to attack.

ATAG_Endless
Feb-08-2014, 02:37
This is why the bombers level bombed from 20,000 ft/6000 meters. Height provides a lot more safety.

In December of 1940, the Germans attempted to bomb the British carrier HMS Illustrious when it was Malta harbour for repairs.

They used Stukas for this, among other aircraft, and the Stukas had very high casualties dive bombing at lower altitudes, and didn't hit the carrier.

The British set up a box barrage over the harbour, which made it almost suicidal for the Germans to attack.

Not looking forward to the flack barrage that awaits us in the next patch Buzzsaw but its a good thing that most of us blue pilots are starting to brush up on our high alt bomb runs

Continu0
Feb-11-2014, 11:37
That silence in the update-section... everyone holding their breath?

III./ZG76_Saipan
Feb-11-2014, 12:11
That silence in the update-section... everyone holding their breath?

patches always come out when i am out of the country. i leave feb 24 so we'll see if the trend continues.

ATAG_Lolsav
Feb-11-2014, 12:18
patches always come out when i am out of the country. i leave feb 24 so we'll see if the trend continues.

roflmao

Continu0
Feb-11-2014, 13:12

Well... similiar trend here... patches come out when my semester starts... would be the 17. then...

ram0506
Feb-11-2014, 17:55
Mmh, 17. sounds better than 24.! :wings:

Screamadelica
Feb-12-2014, 06:07
The missus has been away for 5 weeks and comes back on the 15th, if that helps speed things up a bit.....oh well, at least I've managed to put some serious hours into the DCS P51 Mustang. :salute:

heinkill
Feb-13-2014, 03:16
March 1. No travel, no guests, just housework and gardening await...March 1 pleeeeeeese!

trooph
Feb-13-2014, 06:59
March 1. No travel, no guests, just housework and gardening await...March 1 pleeeeeeese!

U like ur life right?:P
U dont want to lose it dont u?:P
Friday tomorrow...maybe...i really hope for 4.2;]

SG1_sandokito
Feb-13-2014, 10:13
I i normaly bombing at 5500M using he111 or blemmy this new feature is good to me:)

heinkill
Feb-14-2014, 05:31
Happy Friday! One week closer to 4.2...

♣_Spiritus_♣
Feb-14-2014, 08:34
...Hoping for at least an update today pah-leasssee.

Screamadelica
Feb-14-2014, 08:50
It would make a nice Valentine's Day gift....although the missus would prefer roses or chocolates. :) Just in case anyone forgot, don't want anyone getting into trouble.....

Blitzen
Feb-14-2014, 11:07
Happy Friday! One week closer to 4.2...
Hey I already missed 4.1?:P

Taxman
Feb-14-2014, 11:42
Hey I already missed 4.1?:P

Yep, just flew by:)