PDA

View Full Version : Blenheim controls

DRock
Feb-10-2014, 20:54
This is a list of controls needed to learn flying and bombing at various altitudes with the Bristol Blenheim IV.

Your standard controls should all ready be set. Such as throttle and steering.

All of my controls are one touch keys. That is, no ALT X or Shift X. I use the X52 pro and have more than enough keys, so I don't have to change depending on aircraft.

Bristol Blenheim IV

Wheel Chocks

View-Position #1 (pilot)
View-position #2 (bombardier)
View-position #3 (rear gunner) optional

lean to gunsight

fuel cock #1
fuel cock #2
fuel cock #3 (if carrying over 50% fuel)

engine #1 select
engine #2 select
all engines select

toggle selected engine (ignition)

primary cockpit illumination (toggle)

full wheel brakes

raise undercarriage
lower undercarriage

raise landing flaps
lower landing flaps

open radiator
close radiator

prop pitch +
prop pitch -

boost cut-out

carburetor heat toggle

elevator trim up
elevator trim down

rudder trim left
rudder trim right

course setter +
course setter - (sets compass heading)

gyro setter +
gyro setter - (calibrate to compass heading, also assists autopilot)

autopilot next
autopilot previous (selects between off, course, and 22 mode)
autopilot left
autopilot right (adjusts course once autopilot is engaged)

previous bomb distributor mode
next bomb distributor mode (selects between single and salvo bomb drop)

bomb bay previous
bomb bay next (selects between slot 1 and slot 2 bomb bays)

sight altitude +
sight altitude - (used to set bomb sight altitude for bomb drop)

sight velocity +
sight velocity - (used to set IAS for bomb drop)

adjust sight left
adjust sight right (used to adjust side slip on bomb sight to account for wind)

fire guns (machine guns)

drop ordnance (bomb)

Don't feel overwhelmed, we can show you how to use these controls with ease.

Some people like to use the mouse clickable dash, but I don't. Once all of your keys are set, you won't have to look for any controls around the cockpit of the various aircraft.

I also have an 'Info window' with my engine controls, vehicle damage, vehicle crew, vehicle secondary controls, and vehicle system showing, to allow me to see a digital readout of my throttle, carb heater, boost, rads, and other important info.

Also, you are going to need the LOTFE 7 chart. It will allow to see take-off altitude and target altitudes. For the Axis Bombers, it allows you to convert your IAS to TAS.

Here's the link, check it out.

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/utils/lotfe7.html

Good luck and have fun.:thumbsup:

Muffin
Feb-10-2014, 21:30
Very informative post Drock :thumbsup:

jmack
Apr-24-2014, 18:53
Thanks DRock!

1lokos
Apr-25-2014, 00:10
Suggestion, with most of controls on left hand , on left side of keyboard.

Ctrl+ 1 = View-Position #1 (pilot)
Ctrl+ 2 = View-position #2 (bombardier)
Ctrl+ 3 = View-position #3 (rear gunner) optional
Ctrl+ 3 = Unpark turret
Ctrl+ 4 = Toggle independent mode (to use mouse to aim).

Go to gunner station? Ctrl+3, Ctrl+4 and you are looking on MG crosshair (select turret position and unpark can be assigned in the same key). :thumbsup:

A = FOV 90 ( Here the idea is all functions related to Zoom, FOV, gunsight aim.. grouped)
S = FOV 70 (dont reassign Page down, End, Delete, just add New command).
D = FOV 30
Z= ZOOM -
X= ZOOM +
W = Glance at dashboard
W = FOV 70 (Again using the same key give a glance at instruments in most suitable FOV)
C = Lean to gunsight

Alt+W= fuel cock #1
Alt+E = fuel cock #2
Alt+R = fuel cock #3 (if carrying over 50% fuel)
Alt+T = Fuel Contend Gauges Selector-Toggle (not too useful, generally you dont last all fuel :D but have a nice sound when toggled)

Alt+ 1 = engine #1 select
Alt+ 2 = engine #2 select
Alt+ 3 = all engines select

E = toggle selected engine (ignition) (Dont need remap/unassign "I" if want, just make a NEW command)

So: Alt+W, ALt+W, Alt+E, ALt+E, Alt+1, E, Alt+2, E, Alt+3 > engines fueled, started and both select.

Alt+L = primary cockpit illumination (toggle)

Space = full wheel brakes
Alt + Space = wheel chocks in/out

G = raise undercarriage
Shift + G = lower undercarriage (dont using toggle landing gear avoid "accidents").

F = raise landing flaps
V = lower landing flaps

4 = open radiator
3 = close radiator

2 = prop pitch +
1 = prop pitch -

Q= boost cut-out
Alt + Q = carburetor heat toggle

Arrow Down= elevator trim up
Arrow Up = elevator trim down
Ctrl+Arrow Down = Reset elevator trim

Arrow Left = rudder trim left
Arrow Right = rudder trim right
Ctrl+Arrow left = Reset rudder trim

#5= course setter +
#4 = course setter - (sets compass heading)

#8 = gyro setter +
#9 = gyro setter - (calibrate to compass heading, also assists autopilot)

#6 = autopilot next
#9 = autopilot previous (selects between off, course, and 22 mode)
/ = autopilot left
* = autopilot right (adjusts course once autopilot is engaged)

- = previous bomb distributor mode
+ = next bomb distributor mode (selects between single and salvo bomb drop)

Ctrl + 9 = sight altitude +
Ctrl + 3 = sight altitude - (used to set bomb sight altitude for bomb drop)

Ctrl + 7 = sight velocity +
Ctrl + 1 = sight velocity - (used to set IAS or TAS for bomb drop)

Ctrl+4 = adjust sight left
Ctrl+6 = adjust sight right (used to adjust side slip on bomb sight to account for wind)

Or, if dont bother in remap FOV keys - to avoid use Ctrl+

Insert = sight altitude +
Delete = sight altitude -
Home = sight velocity +
End = sight velocity -
Page Up = adjust sight left
Page Down = adjust sight right

Joy button 1 = fire guns (machine guns)

Alt + Joy button 1 = drop ordnance (bomb). Alt acts as security lock, even if use a different button use this, to avoid "lost" your bombs (in Blenheim is not need open bomb bay doors).

Sokol1

Roblex
Apr-25-2014, 02:50
I put together a simple guide aimed at giving a fighter pilot the bare essentials needed to fly a blenheim and glide bomb something. Everyone is different but I learn best by trying out the simplest version first then building on it. Others may prefer to learn everything they could ever need to know before they even take-off but that is not me :D

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=121341795

RebelSqurl
Apr-27-2014, 11:30
Thanks guys! This is much appreciated! :thumbsup:

jlan5031
May-10-2014, 18:38
Twice the Blenheim engines have begun rattling loudly, and the plane has begun shaking violently. The first time was level flight at a moderate altitude, mixture lean, prop pitch low, boost @ 3.5, speed @200mph. The second was while attempting to land (props max pitch, mixture rich, throttles retarded, radiators open). What's the cause. Would carburetor heater on help?

ATAG_Frankenstien
May-14-2014, 09:14
Hi Jlan. Not sure on your first incidence the second one however, assuming the throttles were fully retarded then the Blennie will pop and bang on full idle anyway. I'm not sure if there is a way of stopping that I just bring them back till the engines sound like they are idling. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will jump in on this.

Franky

jlan5031
May-14-2014, 12:11
Frankenstien,
Thanks for your response. If it happens again, I'll record more exact information.
jlan5031

DeXaÏ_☨
May-18-2014, 08:36
Hi Guys,

I'd be interested in flying the blenny with you.

I will first start in single player to get used to the plane and set my controls correctly and then ask for a training to go more in details.

I have a little problem with the controls setups though. Could one of you put his control files (.ini) as a shared file and post the link here ?

That would help me to sort which ones are important, in which category they are, and make it easier for me to remap them.

Thanks !

1lokos
May-18-2014, 12:54
PDF table with commands needed, category, keys suggestions.

Updated:

Sokol19654

DeXaÏ_☨
May-19-2014, 10:25
PDF table with commands needed, category, keys suggestions.

Sokol1

Great ! Thank you very much !

Stryker
Nov-22-2014, 22:56
Hello Everyone,

I am finally getting to tweak the graphics, general settings and such. And pertinent to this thread, setup my controls.

In the original post, it has a list of commands ....

-------------------------------------

raise undercarriage
lower undercarriage

raise landing flaps
lower landing flaps

open radiator
close radiator

prop pitch +
prop pitch -

-----------------------------------

My question. some of these can surely be operated from axis, such as trims and prop pitch. But I have seen comments about some aircraft, where the toggle commands do not work on things like landing gear (undercarriage) or flaps. In other words, you must use sepearete gear down or gear up commands, a toggle will not work. I may be confused and it is in another flight sim, but ...

Are any of these listed commands, not able to use the toggle of those commands ? Or do the commands need to be seperate up/ down, extend/ retract ?

If I am not confusing this issue with a different flight sim, can anyone tell me which, if any of the aircraft in CLoD, suffer from the inability to use the toggle of the commands ? (ie. must use the seperate commands)

I hope that I was clear in my querry.

Thanks in advance

Stryker

PS, glad to finally be getting to fly CLoD. Just got a graphics card that will actually run it.

RebelSqurl
Nov-23-2014, 02:40
In CloD, for RAF fighters and bombers at least, my experience has been that the "toggle" command is sufficient to start/stop engines, and to raise/lower flaps and landing gear. However, separate switches/keybindings need to be set up for other variable controls, such as propeller pitch and radiators. Sokol's PDF elsewhere in this thread is a great tool to set up your Blenheim commands.

-- Reb

Stryker
Nov-23-2014, 06:43
RebelSqurl, thanks for the response and input. I am going to have to do some testing, but think I might have most of it setup now.

I have engine axis controls for throttle, mixture, prop pit, both water and oil radiators, and I have programmed most of the other toggle switches that I can figure out. and I have been referencing that PDF from Sokol1. Speaking of ......

Hey Sokol1, thanks for that PDF, and while I am at it, thanks for all of the assistance that you have provided over the years with custom DIY controllers. I am trying to build my 2nd controller panel, and I have followed your advice and examples many many times. Thanks for sharing all of your expertise in that arena.

One question though, I am confused by the Engine 3 selection listed in that PDF, IS there a variant of the Blenheim that I am not seeing ? IS there one with 3 engines ?

Back on topic. I am going to take several aircraft up, and see what else I may need, but I still have almost 50 buttons still available for programming, but I am sure that this sim can/ will take them all up.

1lokos
Nov-23-2014, 12:12
Stryker,

Thank for your words, glad that someone find my threads useful. :)

In Blenheim commands PDF the Alt+3 = "Engine 3 selected" is mistyped, should by "Select all engines" (after start #1 and #2), I will fix this.

But I have seen comments about some aircraft, where the toggle commands do not work on things like landing gear (undercarriage) or flaps. In other words, you must use sepearete gear down or gear up commands, a toggle will not work. I may be confused and it is in another flight sim, but ..

There's not wrong with "toggle" commands, you can use for example, "toggle" command for landing gear/flaps for all planes, but - what people consider 'bugged" - some planes, like Bf 109 have three positions for for landing gear switch, because in the real plane the switch work in this way. Hurricane too have three (but Spitfire have only two Up, Down):

Down
Neutral
Up

So, if one are using "toggle" command (G) for Bf 109 is need send the command "toggle gear" two times to go through the sequence, and ideally one more after gear drop or raise to leave the switch in Neutral, which causes the next command send be up or down. But the years of "G" in il-2'46 made them "lazy". :)

Same for Hurricane Flaps/Landing Gear controls.

In these cases, use separated keys (like F and V for flaps) eliminated the double command, and add a security factor, one will not drop Landing Gear inadvertently if press G in wrong moment (like happen in Il-2'46/BoS...). The Landing Gear will not "stuck" like in il-2'46, but disturbs the flight, and in BF 109 make need slow the plane for retract.

In any case, Bf 109 jockeys can use timed macros (need external joystick/keymapper software) to go through the sequence with only one key press, like people do in il-2'46 for F4F/i-16 landing gear.

Despite far from perfect (and confuse GUI), CloD controls (hated be many) has great flexibility (almost unknown ones is create a NEW copy of a particular control to assign different keys, leaving the original untouched, or use buttons/keys as modifier for other key/button or axis (other games limit this to Alt, Ctrl, Shift, Win keys).

And avoid cumbersome and dumb commands like the R,R,R,R,R...R (?) for radiator in il-2'46 (a "toggle" adaptation). :D

Look at Nails Hurricane cockpit, is only possible make the Landing Gear/Flaps lever work as the real one due CloD controls many options, is not possible do this with the "gamey" controls options of il-2'46/BoS. :thumbsup:

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5940

Sokol1

Meaks
Feb-24-2015, 05:40
Re Blenheim controls,does the 'Feather Propellor' actually work when using the Blenheim,if it does,I'm doing something wrong,because I can't get it to work :doh:

Roblex
Feb-24-2015, 07:49
Re Blenheim controls,does the 'Feather Propellor' actually work when using the Blenheim,if it does,I'm doing something wrong,because I can't get it to work :doh:

I could be wrong but I don't think it works for *any* Clod aircraft. there are several commands in the list that are carry-overs from IL2 1946 but were never implemented in CLoD. Lower Tail Hook is an obvious example :D

Meaks
Feb-24-2015, 07:57
I could be wrong but I don't think it works for *any* Clod aircraft. there are several commands in the list that are carry-overs from IL2 1946 but were never implemented in CLoD. Lower Tail Hook is an obvious example :D

Thanks for that Roblex,I thought it must have been that,but confirmation is always welcomed :thumbsup:

5./JG26_Peete
Feb-24-2015, 08:21
Set the prop to max .. then it wont slow you down so mutch.. I think. ! If the engine is damaged.

breeze
Mar-13-2015, 16:30
Hello, for some reason my Blenheim wont get up to speed or wont even roll with full throttle. it turns fine and under 'axis' in controls my ch throttle indicates full movent back and forth..what up wif dis:(:crazyeyes:

breeze
Mar-13-2015, 17:08
Allright..got it...stood on my breaks to full engine revs then released..bugger moved off the dime then..got airborn ...:D:D:D

1lokos
Mar-13-2015, 17:47
Yeahhh, British brakes are very efficient to prevent the plane to move... but to stop then is another history. :D

breeze
Mar-27-2015, 15:46
Hey 1lokos what up..how do I manage my mixture controls in the Blennie..right now I have full mix and full lean..so what does this hot rod like in its various fligtht regimes? I am just flying about for now landing / takeoff and son on..
I have my CH set up for almost everything and it is working fine..just a few switchology fits is all:salute:

Thank you sir..

bre

1lokos
Mar-27-2015, 16:05
...how do I manage my mixture controls in the Blennie..right now I have full mix and full lean..so what does this hot rod like in its various fligtht regimes?

Breeze, set the mixture in NORMAL (automatic rich) and forget, WEAK (lean) only worth for save fuel if is needed. But with fuel tanks full you can go at Cologne (Germany) (http://ww2today.com/12th-august-1941-intense-raf-daylight-bombing-raids-on-germany) and go back. :D

breeze
Mar-27-2015, 17:08
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Exactly what I needed to know thank you. Adios amigo..gotta go to work now

Baffin
May-25-2015, 10:27
CLoD Bristol Blenheim Alternate (Manual) Landing gear extension:

Note: Manual Landing gear extension key does not work. Gear must be "Pumped" down like in early RAF Fighters. Land only with both gear locked down or both gear unlocked. Do not land if only one gear is locked down.

Condition:

1. A keystroke is programmed on controls menu for the "Hand Pump".
2. Hydraulic pressure from the engine driven pump is low or nil due to battle damage or left engine failure.
3. Pilot has trimmed the Blenheim with rudder and elevator for "Hands Off" level flight at or below 140 MPH IAS.

Procedure:

1. Landing gear selector - DOWN. You may hear or feel the gear unlock. The landing gear position indicators may move slightly but will remain at or near UP unless unrecognized system pressure is present. If normal system pressure is in fact available, the gear should extend normally. A windmilling left engine is supposed to provide enough pressure for a very slow extension with the normal system.

IF GEAR REMAINS UP:

2. Hand Pump - ACTUATE MULTIPLE TIMES. The left landing gear position indicator will move slightly with each "Pump". After the left gear is in the down position, the right position indicator will begin to respond. As the gear extend, the yaw will change and rudder trim changes will be necessary. Keep the slip indicator centered.

ericarchie
May-26-2015, 04:24
Hello to all,

I am just taking my first steps into the Blenheim but I am having trouble with using the existing or even binding new keys to the bomb related section. The bombsight all works fine with the default key set up but I am not able to make any key open bomb doors, arm bombs or drop bombs?

I have been able to fly the aircraft and navigate to the target, but all I can do is cause a bit of distraction to the enemy......or entertainment !

Thanks for your help, bomber flying is a bit less challenging than twisting and turning in a dogfight with my very primitive hardware........ update of this is still on the cards but have to wait for a little longer (note to Fidget in case you think I have lost interest, thank you for your patience).

Many thanks.

Eric...

Just a note, I have downloaded the really helpful key assignment pdf etc elsewhere in this post, all other key binding seems to work fine?

Baffin
May-26-2015, 09:37
Hello to all,

I am just taking my first steps into the Blenheim but I am having trouble with using the existing or even binding new keys to the bomb related section. The bombsight all works fine with the default key set up but I am not able to make any key open bomb doors, arm bombs or drop bombs?

I have been able to fly the aircraft and navigate to the target, but all I can do is cause a bit of distraction to the enemy......or entertainment !

Thanks for your help, bomber flying is a bit less challenging than twisting and turning in a dogfight with my very primitive hardware........ update of this is still on the cards but have to wait for a little longer (note to Fidget in case you think I have lost interest, thank you for your patience).

Many thanks.

Eric...

Just a note, I have downloaded the really helpful key assignment pdf etc elsewhere in this post, all other key binding seems to work fine?

Dear Eric,

The Bristol Blenheim must have been designed by a pilot because the builders realized how often we forget to do things. (Hence the evolution of the flight crew checklist) The gear doors of the Blenheim are "Balanced" with bungee springs to keep them closed unless a force is applied from the inside. Since our intrepid bombardier usually forgets to open the doors (LOL), the weight of a bomb would push them open by itself. Very high tech!

There was no increased risk of onboard detonation since an arming wire was attached to the aircraft and to the bomb's fuze vane (propeller). As the weapon fell away, the arming wire slipped away from the vane, which was released to spin in the airflow, allowing the fuze to arm for detonation upon impact. So, arming may be considered automatic in the CLoD Blenheim. No pilot action required.

All you need to do in CLoD is select "Salvo" or "Single", and hit the pickle switch to release a fully armed denizen of destruction. Hitting a valid target is completely another matter!

To make sure you have the bomb release properly configured, go out over the bucolic English countryside at about 200' above the ground, and bomb some barns or trees. You'll hear the explosions with 1 second fuzing. It's also great practice and has no impact on the team or individual scores. If you turn hard after release, you may see the brown craters or even the detonation plume. Very good for morale...(Yours, not the farmers)
:cheers:

1lokos
May-26-2015, 11:56
Hello to all,

drop bombs?

To make sure that you carry bombs, jump for bombardier (make a direct shortcut for the # of position, e.g. 'CtrL+2', instead use the "leave the aircraft mode 'Alt+F2' ") cockpit and look at this switch's:

http://s24.postimg.org/c6rrodmf9/Bombs.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
upload pictures online (http://postimage.org/)

All up, you have four 250 lbs bombs.
The two right up, two 500 lbs bombs.

When drop one bomb, one switch go down, etc.

In SALVO mode (drop all bombs at same time) the switch's are bugged, they don't move down on bombs release, only after select SINGLE mode again they move down.

For drop bombs I use joystick trigger, with Alt key as modifier (and security "cover" over the button), so no risk to drop bombs accidentally. :D

ericarchie
May-26-2015, 13:36
Thank you very much 1lokos and Fidget for the prompt replies, I will give it a go this evening.

.....Haha Fidget, perhaps I can drop one in my grandfathers farm in South Wiltshire, keep it in the family and all that:thumbsup: .....assuming we are back in 1940 that is.... now where is that map... Derry Farm new duck pond ?

Thank you again.

By the way, I will be more sociable when I have updated my equipment, right now it is easier to fly alone when I am in a fighter. Would be nice to fly with other Blennies tho as it is just a little slower pace to toggle switches and mouse views.

Eric...

ericarchie
May-28-2015, 08:54
Thank you guys for your help..

All works great now.

Very enjoyable and very tense flying the Blenny behind enemy lines, haha I handed over the headphones to my wife to listen and see the realism....just a few seconds in and she gave a shout and a jump as we were jumped and hit hard by 109 cannon! It quite shook her....as it still does for me.

Now if I get another pc she could be my gunner!

Thank you

Eric..

Seafar
Feb-20-2016, 08:28
Thanks Roblex, Nice and simple explanation,a good way to do some damage get in quick and get out quick.

FluxCapacitance
Sep-06-2016, 00:41
Bumping this thread up.

Was wondering if there were some good Blenny single player missions available to download for practice. The default cross country is nice, but denies me the ability to change loadout and actually bomb anything. Tried the forum search but haven't found much. Ideas? (other than getting harrassed on multiplayer..hehe)

ATAG_Freya
Sep-06-2016, 01:14
Try ATAG server 2 (called "ATAG Bomber Campaign" the list). I know, it's not single player, but it's a good place to practice because that's what it's for. Lot's of freedom and options for training at various skill levels, free of harassment, and a good stepping stone into servers that are populated.

:salute:

FluxCapacitance
Sep-06-2016, 09:06
Perfect! Thanks Freya.

Baffin
Nov-17-2016, 11:18
Bumping this thread up.

Was wondering if there were some good Blenny single player missions available to download for practice. The default cross country is nice, but denies me the ability to change loadout and actually bomb anything. Tried the forum search but haven't found much. Ideas? (other than getting harrassed on multiplayer..hehe)

During actual gameplay, I occasionally practice low-level bombing along the river's edge, just west of RAF Eastchurch. There are isolated trees and buildings around there that, as far as I know, have no impact on game play. From over the water, you can practice shipping attacks, and from the east, normal terrestrial bombing. Recovery to Eastchurch only takes a minute or two. If a need suddenly arises, you're ready to go to war without changing servers. Stay below 1500' AGL to defeat enemy radar.
Announce your intentions if anyone is nearby... :flying2:

1lokos
Nov-17-2016, 12:02
Was wondering if there were some good Blenny single player missions available to download for practice.

Piper_Kiev did a Campaign for Blenheim - you can read the briefings through Google Translator.

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13247&p=184984&viewfull=1#post184984

Note sure, but think that Heinkill did a mission pack for Blenheim.

69th_Zeb
Jun-24-2017, 01:43
During a recent 12 ship Blenheim raid, there seemed to be some concern about being able to keep up with the formation due to burning up engines, etc. I (rather quickly) threw together some data I've been gathering to give noob Blenheim drivers like myself a little more comfort and help the formation move at a more modest speed. I learn a bunch of new stuff constantly and will be amending new tricks to this, so fire away at ways to refine it some more.

Seems like the programmers set some hard altitudes for engine performance that resemble a temperature inversion (that's what you Brits have over there often right?). The thing I really enjoy about the sim is that there are transient delays on gauges that won't tell you right away if you're about to cook your engine. Nice feature.

Anyways, the chart runs through a basic climb to 20,000 feet with an indicated 140 mph at full buster. I have had little problems recently keeping up by being able to push performance a bit. Another tip not mentioned is to set fuel 2-3% below the lead pilot so your formation control inputs (drag) won't set you back too far.

Let me know what ya'll think, since it might be more art than science. haha

Baffin
Jun-24-2017, 09:22
According to Air Publication 1530B (Pilot's Notes):

"The best climbing speed at full throttle is about 135 m.p.h. up to 6,000 feet, after which speed should be reduced by one m.p.h. per thousand feet." [Therefore climb speed is 125 m.p.h at 16,000 feet MSL.]

I always try to use this in CLoD and find I will out-climb other Blenheims since many prefer higher speeds. I get higher, faster, but they go farther and end up lower in the same flight time. Engine temperatures must be monitored, but don't they always?

Navigation Note: Compass dip error is quite pronounced in the climb. Find a landmark to fly towards unless you're in level, unaccelerated flight. :lecture:

69th_Zeb
Jun-24-2017, 14:26
Right on Baffin. A lot of guys prefer 140-160 to be further out once radar signature is picked up, but it's really quite negligible. Seems like 135 would get you to target quicker in the end if everything's modeled to the "T". I do like 140, since it matches an initial climb rate of 2000 fpm, and is easier to calculate for time to altitude. 160 works dandy as well if I get bounced. By the time my plane has 90 bank angle and I'm piloting in the back seat, I still have 140 mph of energy to spare.

I also wanted to make it so that only one lever was used after climb was configured, that way people could play around with other settings as they saw fit. I don't always use these for my climb settings per se, but it did come handy for reducing variables. The most interesting part for me was the temp inversion/engine heat effect that is CLOD specific. This was something that kept me in the dark for a while.

Any other thoughts?

Baffin
Jun-24-2017, 20:04
I like the tech-order climb if departing a coastal base for high altitude level bombing. The steeper climb gives me time to set up the course/autopilot and get stabilized before I get too close to the target. I hate being rushed.

In any case, it's each player's preference. :salute:

My controls are set up for realistic hand movements as much as possible. Once again, everyone has his own philosophy of how to play the game. :IAG: