PDA

View Full Version : BOS is another sim with huge potential

Chivas
Feb-18-2014, 14:54
I like many aspects of BOS. Yes, ROF ,and its game engine had issues that were not addressed. I believe the difference with BOS will be the years of additional paid theaters that will allow the game engine to improve just as the IL-2 game engine, and features improved over ten years. I suppose there is always a point where you'd want to start over from scratch like Maddox did, with all the unknown consequences that would entail. Still, with all its initial problems, the COD game engine, will provide the base for Team Fusion to take this sim as far as they want, and as long as they want. We should have two if not three decent, and complex combat flight sims to enjoy over the next ten years.

9./JG52 Ziegler
Feb-18-2014, 17:00
I like many aspects of BOS. Yes, ROF ,and its game engine had issues that were not addressed. I believe the difference with BOS will be the years of additional paid theaters that will allow the game engine to improve just as the IL-2 game engine, and features improved over ten years. I suppose there is always a point where you'd want to start over from scratch like Maddox did, with all the unknown consequences that would entail. Still, with all its initial problems, the COD game engine, will provide the base for Team Fusion to take this sim as far as they want, and as long as they want. We should have two if not three decent, and complex combat flight sims to enjoy over the next ten years.

+1 Copy that.:thumbsup:

Headshot
Feb-18-2014, 21:40
:salute:

LuseKofte
Feb-19-2014, 04:14
:salute:

Agreed, we must look at the potential of the SIM and judge the end product by wether we like it or not. And try to make the changes we want by asking for them

9./JG52 Hans Gruber
Feb-19-2014, 13:20
I think it's safe to say all of us in 9./JG52 are looking forward to this quite a bit. We aren't going to get hung up on absolute FM fidelity. We've been chasing our tails with clod FMs for years now and I'm sure there will still be debate for years to come. What I have seen so far with BoS is very promising and I think the multiplayer community will be quite large.

Chivas
Feb-19-2014, 19:54
If the multiiplayer code in BOS is good enough to allow fifty plus players, I have little doubt that BOS will have a large multiplayer turnout. Currently COD seems too attract more full real servers, which is the much small part of an online community. Another key to a multiplayer's popularity is the fun factor of shooting down aircraft.

I find BOS relatively easy to shoot down aircraft, and COD unreasonably difficult. I understand that there were very few aces in WW11, but WW2 pilots had no where near the experience, flight time, and gunnery practice that the average flight simulator pilot has. On average I can fly BOS and have fun shooting down aircraft with one burst, while in COD I generally have to give them several bursts, to the point where it stops being fun. I'm not advocating huge hit boxes, just making the hits that are made more devastating. I actually thought it would be easier to end fights in COD with all the complex aircraft systems that could be damaged. I could be off base on this as I have no where near the hours in BOS, and COD that I had with the original IL-2, but it could be an initial impression that many new comers to both sims would have.

Tvrdi
Feb-20-2014, 02:29
If the multiiplayer code in BOS is good enough to allow fifty plus players, I have little doubt that BOS will have a large multiplayer turnout. Currently COD seems too attract more full real servers, which is the much small part of an online community. Another key to a multiplayer's popularity is the fun factor of shooting down aircraft.

I find BOS relatively easy to shoot down aircraft, and COD unreasonably difficult. I understand that there were very few aces in WW11, but WW2 pilots had no where near the experience, flight time, and gunnery practice that the average flight simulator pilot has. On average I can fly BOS and have fun shooting down aircraft with one burst, while in COD I generally have to give them several bursts, to the point where it stops being fun. I'm not advocating huge hit boxes, just making the hits that are made more devastating. I actually thought it would be easier to end fights in COD with all the complex aircraft systems that could be damaged. I could be off base on this as I have no where near the hours in BOS, and COD that I had with the original IL-2, but it could be an initial impression that many new comers to both sims would have.

You do realize bos planes have cannons and in CLOD only bf with whom i can make one burst kills. On a side ote seems you memory bleeds fast. Are you sure history wont repeat with not fixing FMs like in ROF?

Chivas
Feb-20-2014, 03:09
You do realize bos planes have cannons and in CLOD only bf with whom i can make one burst kills. On a side ote seems you memory bleeds fast. Are you sure history wont repeat with not fixing FMs like in ROF?

Yes I'm well aware of the difference in ammunition used. Even 303's can be devastating when making hits at the convergence distance.

The BOS FM's could be a different story, if the first sequel is successful. ROF was a one theater air war, with few expansion possibilities. BOS should have a much longer shelf life, with time to slowly improve all aspects of the sim including the FM as the series develops more theaters of war addons. Not to mention much better available data on WW2 aircraft FM's than WW1 aircraft.. Of course it doesn't matter how much data or how accurately the FM's are modeled as their will still be those with their own version of historical FM's. For most players the FM's don't need to be perfect for the sim to succeed, as most wouldn't no the difference, and only complain that their favorite aircraft wasn't uber enough. The IL-2 forums were full of FM complaints, but it was still the most popular combat flight sim of its day.

LuseKofte
Feb-20-2014, 03:17
For my sake I will use BOS as a substitute to CLOD, because none of these offer alone a complete sim on my point of view. I will fly in only full realism.
I love the IL2 and I hope the JU-87 will be good, but my main concern is the HE-111 Heinkel. I really hope they have not planned a arcadish way to aim bombs on it, nor the PE-2.
This will determined my activity a great deal on this sim.

Injerin
Feb-20-2014, 04:00
Its a flight sim ( yes with great potential) I totally agree with that..... it will be fun, and with updated graphics it will be the cats ass :) the one thing I look forward too is how FM and DM's perform...will it to be my standards? don't know. With that being said, I personally like the more intricate type flight sims like (A10-C) I guess I'm looking for the holy grail of flight sims and I guess I'll have to settle for the few that have at hand . So I will play them all, to give me the satisfation of self interest :) I am invested to BOS as well as the rest, lets just hope the future is bright :)

Headshot
Feb-20-2014, 04:03
It's early days yet but already the user interface is looking very polished. Setting up the game and AC loadouts is simple and new player friendly. My PC plays it without a glitch ( and I have an ATI ). Once the 190 comes out my wife and kids won't be getting much attention from me.LOL

ZG15_robtek
Feb-20-2014, 04:40
It all depends if the devs have managed to remove the mp limitations from the game engine that we know from RoF.
If not, this sim will only attract furball fanatics on the long run and new theaters will stay fantasy without enough income.
Maybe the offliners will generate enough then.
We'll see when the qmb/fmb and mp is available.

Headshot
Feb-20-2014, 04:54
We don't know for sure there is limitations to MP with BOS do we ?
We will have to wait and see. If there is there will be more servers. Problem fixt.

ATAG_Bliss
Feb-20-2014, 05:40
Yes we do. It's the DN engine. It can't handle many objects or players. I'm hoping they can fix it. But they couldn't in 4 years of ROF. So in making a flight sim based on the same engine I doubt they'll have time to rewrite the game engine as well in only one year. That's essentially the reason we will see MP and the mission editor last.