PDA

View Full Version : Bf109 Battery failure does nothing?

LG1.Farber
Feb-20-2014, 06:16
Having had my battery shot to bits on numerous occasions I can safely say it does nothing to the aircraft... Should it effect anything? Gun sight?

Kwiatek
Feb-20-2014, 07:03
Battery/accumulator in plane is used as secondary source of electrical energy. More serriously problem during flight will casue failure of alternator/ generator which is primary suorce of electrical energy. So with accumulator damage alternator/generator will be still supply power.

I hope someone will correct me if i wrong.

ATAG_Colander
Feb-20-2014, 09:37
Battery/accumulator in plane is used as secondary source of electrical energy. More serriously problem during flight will casue failure of alternator/ generator which is primary suorce of electrical energy. So with accumulator damage alternator/generator will be still supply power.

I hope someone will correct me if i wrong.

Correct.
What I'm not sure is if the generator will "generate" enough power at min. RPMs. to keep the engine running.
In some cars without the battery you have to keep it with a bit of revs so the engine doesn't die.

LG1.Farber
Feb-21-2014, 07:33
In Bf110 whole thing conks out when the battery is lost... Someone on this forum had a video about, I recall the poster was Spanish speaking(?) All the lights dimmed a few times and he lost everything..

Skoshi_Tiger
Feb-21-2014, 08:56
Correct.
What I'm not sure is if the generator will "generate" enough power at min. RPMs. to keep the engine running.
In some cars without the battery you have to keep it with a bit of revs so the engine doesn't die.

Most aero engines use magnetos in their ignition systems which are self energising. Once started it should run without a battery. They are designed that way to stay operational if there is a failure in the charging circuit.

Cheers!