PDA

View Full Version : Almost Friday update Feb 21 / 2014

Old_Canuck
Feb-21-2014, 20:11
The most important part is an appeal to any Dora experts in our midst. I've seen your comments, Sir, but I can't remember your handle or you would be getting a PM about this. Maybe someone can pass it on:

"We have a list of about a dozen questions on things like the circuit breaker panel and the oxygen system and info plates like deviation tables and Baumusterkartes. We need to have one last internal discussion Monday, and then we’ll probably post these publicly. Hopefully someone in the community will have some rare bit of knowledge that we don’t that will allow us to close that final tiny gap in our references."

The rest of Ilya's post:

==================================

Project Update #29: Friday February 21, 2014 Development Update – The Importance of Planning Ahead
Posted by Ilya Shevchenko ♥ Like
Afternoon gentlemen!

Sorry, I was traveling back home last weekend, had to skip out on the update.

This Friday, my usual practice of selecting something to show on Friday morning proved very near-sighted. My plan to show the Bf.109 as it is in the engine came to a screeching halt.

As DCS WWII is part of the general DCS development environment, a bug introduced on Thursday made the entire environment look off. Very off. Everything is black and shiny.

I have screenshots and I’m still not sure what’s worse, to show them or not to show them.

This is pretty normal for a development environment, that’s what keeps it less tedious and gets the developers chuckling, but I’m not sure if publicly showing silly bugs, especially someone else’s bugs, is really appropriate.

Basically, imagine the entire game world covered with black lacquer, and you’ll get the rough idea of what everything has looked like for the past two days.

Perhaps, the best solution is to keep these for now, then do a non-Friday update early next week once the bug is fixed, where we can show what the bug looked like, and what it looks like with the bug fixed and the cockpit systems working.

Other than that, the work is progressing. The two-man team making the Bf.109 are ticking off their tasks. The systems programmer is currently finishing up the FuG 16ZY implementation, and the aerodynamics programmer is doing the MW 50.

The best bit of news for this week is that the web programmer our team is sharing with a lot of other development tasks has finally jumped back onto our web interface, the work that had lay dormant for some time. He’s been doing nothing but our stuff since Monday. I’ve made some overly optimistic predictions before, so I won’t today, but the plan is to stay on the task until it’s complete and released to the public.

On the Fw 190D-9 front, we’ve hit a bit of an unexpected barrier. While we have gigabytes of original factory documents on this aircraft, as it turns out, some of the less important systems just don’t have a good enough technical description in any of the sources available to us. It was a lot easier with the P-51 because we had access to a living breathing aircraft and to the men who fly it. With the Dora, we don’t have that luxury.

We have a list of about a dozen questions on things like the circuit breaker panel and the oxygen system and info plates like deviation tables and Baumusterkartes. We need to have one last internal discussion Monday, and then we’ll probably post these publicly. Hopefully someone in the community will have some rare bit of knowledge that we don’t that will allow us to close that final tiny gap in our references.

On a final note, several of our external team members are located in Kiev, Ukraine. I’ve been to that beautiful city many times. Clean, green, always pleasant, wonderful people, great food. One of the few cities in the world I’m always glad to visit, always sad to leave. I was actually looking forward to flying down there for a couple of days this trip, and I’m absolutely crushed by the recent events. It breaks my heart to see the streets I’ve often walked on fire.

I really hope that somehow, some way, the situation will deescalate, things will come down, and people will stop dying in the streets. How incredible to even be writing these words.

Let’s all hope for a speedy resolution to this crisis."
=================================

nacy
Feb-22-2014, 08:55

Shevchenko voyage,il travaille quand?

Shevchenko trip, when he worked?

heinkill
Feb-22-2014, 09:08
People who backed the project for more than 85USD were expecting a beta version of the FW190D this month as their award.

Work doesn't even sound like it has been started yet?

They will not be happy...there are many still waiting for their P51D key I think too. Such a promising project I hope it can get back on track.

H

ATAG_Snapper
Feb-22-2014, 10:16
Sounds like the 109 is on track, but I'm a little surprised at the 190 problem. Figured they'd have all their ducks in a row, at least on paper, re specs & data before launching a project of this scale. However, Ilya describes it as a small obstacle to be overcome, so there it is.

I agree with him 100% that it is not appropriate to showcase bugs and glitches encountered to this crowd -- and I include myself in "this crowd". Especially other peoples' bugs and glitches. We're all anxiously awaiting positive word on when this exciting project will be offered as alpha. IMHO best to quietly overcome their problems, over-deliver on their commitments, THEN show the behind-the-scenes gaffes, hitches, etc. There is a confidence factor that should wisely be considered when communicating to customers.

I am relieved the shooting has stopped (for now, at least) in Kiev. Such a horrible thing over there.

Foul Ole Ron
Feb-22-2014, 12:05
People who backed the project for more than 85USD were expecting a beta version of the FW190D this month as their award.

They will not be happy...there are many still waiting for their P51D key I think too. Such a promising project I hope it can get back on track.

H

The 190 is being made by ED but it looks like RRG are working closely with them on the project. The 190 is well advanced but looks like they have hit some minor systems trouble. Credit to them that they're looking to get the info on these systems rather than fudging them with a best guess like some other sims might do.

It might be delayed a bit but so be it. Every project I've backed on KS has been delayed - Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous are going to be months behind the KS checkpoints.

Catseye
Feb-22-2014, 12:05

Shevchenko voyage,il travaille quand?

Shevchenko trip, when he worked?

Il travaille en Moscow et habite en California.

ATAG_Slipstream
Feb-22-2014, 14:58
I wish there was a little more communication as originally planned.

However, I have full confidence that we'll have a top notch product to enjoy when its finished and I have no problem in waiting.
I also noticed that there was a like from the CEO of a highly regarded FSX development group, which was nice to see!

Atreides
Feb-22-2014, 17:04
We all knew from past experience that the timetable would probably not be made. I just hope the end product will be an end product rather than an alpha or beta. It indeed seems they take their job seriously though with their dedication to make the FW as authentic as possible.

jaydee
Feb-23-2014, 05:15

H

Heinkill, I backed the project with more than 85 USD ! I am happy to Fly COD/BOS and WAIT !....Who Knows,AI might be the best yet ! ~S~