PDA

View Full Version : Trade your CH Throttle Quadrant for my CH Pro Throttle?

Blazin' Saddles
Feb-23-2014, 14:00
I just got the CH Pro Throttle for Christmas this year. Still have the box for it, and it obviously has little time on it so far. It works great, but after some looking I think I would rather have the CH Throttle Quadrant instead. If anyone is interested let me know. Thanks!

B. Saddles

ATAG_Lewis
Feb-24-2014, 01:11
Don't do it man!......The only downside to the CHThrottle Pro is the lack of pots...but thats no biggy....You have a whole load of keys and hat switches on your throttle that are perfect for fighters in CLOD....With the quadrant you get none of those keys in finger reach where you need them.....in the middle of a dogfight you don't want to be having to look at your keyboard or quadrant for the key you need...forget it....

Also the quadrant is meant for airliner type flying...not fast single engine dogfighting...

The CH Throttle Pro is perfect......I use one.....I tightened the resistance up in the slider as mine felt too sloppy...apart from that...its a sure winner..

Blazin' Saddles
Feb-24-2014, 11:30
Well, thanks for the encouragement Lewis. I was mainly thinking that it would be nice to have axis for throttle, prop (and maybe mixture although I basically never touch that). Currently I am using the "throttle axis" on the fighterstick itself for prop control, and it works fine, but I have to take my hand off of the pro throttle to use it. I guess the throttle quadrant seems a little more realistic for the time period as well.

Maybe I just need to remap some controls a bit or something. I realize I could use a hat for the prop pitch, but it seems better to have that on an axis since it is a continuously variable control.

ATAG_Lewis
Feb-24-2014, 12:47
I have all the prop pitches on one of my thumb hat switches.....I have one set to 100%...one to 50%...and the up and down to increments of 5%...In the middle of a dogfight I can easily go to any postition I need in allied aircraft....But usually I am either 100% or 85%...so Its just one click for full and then knock it back with 3 clicks....Its pretty easy and intuitive for me....

I would suggest if you really must get a quadrant then buy one outright or get one on Ebay or something but don't trade your CH Pro Throttle for one....I just think its a bad move....I really think if you are enthusiastic about combat flight sim dogfighting then you will need a throttle like the CH Throttle Pro..or the Saitek X52 throttle....I'm right you haven't been flying CLOD long?...If so maybe give it some time to get used to the throttle you have...it took me a few weeks to get the feel for mine and get use to it.....I don't know how long you have been using it so I'm out on a limb there...but all I can say is I wouldn't change mine for anything now....That and having the MSFFBSW2...That combination is killer...!!

My only problem with the CH Pro Throttle is the throttle slider which is too loose as standard....so...

Here's my mod for more resistance in the throttle slider....which works really well and at very low cost and work..

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6098

Also...Don't forget this....:

http://snomhf.exofire.net/FrankenPotato.html

Stick with it man...I'm tellin yer!!!...hehe

Blazin' Saddles
Feb-24-2014, 17:05
You are correct, I have only been flying CloD since January. I am sort of a new "back to flight sims" player... I grew up playing flight sims starting with MS Flight Simulator 1.0 lol... went to an f117 game and then an f22 (Can't remember the name of that one), and spent lots of time on the LucasArts Space Sims, especially Tie Fighter. I played Jane's WW2, but since then I haven't touched any flight sims. My last joystick was an original MS Sidewinder.

Anyway I think I will stick with the Pro Throttle for a while, I was looking at some other setups for it and I should be able to get something working for it.

Interestingly, mine does not seem to have a problem with too little resistance. I am thinking of getting some velcro or something because it tends to push along my table.

Franken Potato looks cool, I'm not sure how much it costs to get modded but it would give me a prop pitch axis on the throttle which would be nice...

B Saddles

ATAG_Bliss
Feb-24-2014, 17:38
You are correct, I have only been flying CloD since January. I am sort of a new "back to flight sims" player... I grew up playing flight sims starting with MS Flight Simulator 1.0 lol... went to an f117 game and then an f22 (Can't remember the name of that one), and spent lots of time on the LucasArts Space Sims, especially Tie Fighter. I played Jane's WW2, but since then I haven't touched any flight sims. My last joystick was an original MS Sidewinder.

Anyway I think I will stick with the Pro Throttle for a while, I was looking at some other setups for it and I should be able to get something working for it.

Interestingly, mine does not seem to have a problem with too little resistance. I am thinking of getting some velcro or something because it tends to push along my table.

Franken Potato looks cool, I'm not sure how much it costs to get modded but it would give me a prop pitch axis on the throttle which would be nice...

B Saddles

Hi B Saddles,

Something else to consider (which is what I have done) is get yourself a CH throttle quadrant to compliment your CH pro throttle. I have all my trims, oil & coolant rads, and prop pitch on the throttle quad but use the CH pro throttle as the throttle and using many of the other buttons on it for combat duties. I actually use 6 CH devices. IMO, depending on how serious you are about flying the stuff, having both is fantastic. They really do compliment each other for different tasks about the cockpit.

Mudcat
Feb-25-2014, 10:56
For those that have one, how do you like it, I was considering the quadrant myself to add to the collection, but was a bit worried about precision with it looking to be a very short range on the levers from 100% to 0%