PDA

View Full Version : December 7th 1941

ATAG_Striker
Dec-07-2011, 13:09
let us give a salute to the fallen of the pearl Harbor Attack December 7th 1941.

The Japanese began their air attack. The first wave arrived over Pearl Harbor at approximately 7:45 a.m. to find seven U.S. battleships moored along "Battleship Row", on the east side of Ford Island. Another battleship was in dry dock in the nearby Navy Yard. Other moorings which the Japanese believed might include battleships, or the equally important aircraft carriers, were at the Navy Yard's 1010 Dock and along Ford Island's western side.

The Japanese initially hit the airfields, destroying many aircrafts located on the southern tip of Ford Island. This attack followed by the dispatch of communications was the World's first notification that war had begun in the Pacific.
Moments thereafter, torpedo planes attacked from west hitting the USS Helena, USS Utah and USS Raleigh, all on the west side of Ford Island. From the east, torpedo planes came in and hit the USS California, the USS Nevada, USS Oklahoma and West Virginia located on the east side of Ford Island.

As the torpedo planes continued the first wave attacks, additional bombs were dropped on "Battleship Row", hitting several ships. The USS Arizona received a death blow followed by a huge explosion. As the first wave departed, the Japanese telegraph operator taped out Tora, Tora, Tora: the code word for surprise attack achieved.

The second wave of planes further attacked some of the ships already hit, further destroying the Navy Yard. The battleship Pennsylvania and three destroyers were bombed in dry dock. Other bombers went after the Nevada, which had left her berth and was trying to get to sea. Anti-aircraft gunfire met these ships, causing losses which were far greater than those of the first attack wave.

Fortunately, neither wave had the opportunity to hit American aircraft carriers, all of which were out at sea. Fuel storage tanks, maintenance areas and most destroyers and submarines were not targeted. However, in less than two hours the Japanese had ruined the U.S. Pacific Fleet's battleship force, ensuring the US would not interfere with further plans for conquest.

for those lost in the attack and survivors of the attack we :salute:

ATAG_Snapper
Dec-07-2011, 13:21
As a Canadian, I feel for the tragic and outrageous loss of American lives that terrible day, and for our two nations' shared losses during the entire Second World War.

Lest we forget..........

ATAG_WatchMan
Dec-07-2011, 15:47
Thank you Striker for bringing this up.:thumbsup:

The events of December 7th, 1941 are ingrained in the thoughts, prayers and memories of many Americans, myself included.

I think this day as much as Memorial Day and Veteran's Day gives me reason to pause and once again say thank you to all the men and women of our armed forces.

For all of those who have served, are serving, have fought, died or become forever changed I say "thank you" once again.

S! and Sincerely.
ATAG_WatchMan.

ATAG_Torian
Dec-08-2011, 04:19
Sobering to think that 1177 sailors lie entombed in the Arizona to this day.
We do well to remember the sacrifice of those whose blood ultimately awakened
the "sleeping giant". Australia was saved from certain invasion by the "righteous
might" of the American people as they rose to avenge their countrymen and
ultimately defeat a determined enemy. Australia says a heartfelt thank you to our
American brothers and sisters as we remember all of those who gave their lives in
POW hellholes, on island beach-heads, in sweltering jungles, aboard fighting ships
and in airial combat.
Lest we forget.