PDA

View Full Version : Hawker Hurricane controls

DRock
Feb-25-2014, 09:59
This is a list of all the controls needed to fly and fight with all Hawker Hurricane models.

Hawker Hurricane

Wheel Chocks

toggle primary cockpit illumination
toggle secondary cockpit illumination

increase sight distance
decrease sight distance (sets your gunsight to selected convergence)

adjust gunsight left
adjust gunsight right (sets the wingspan of target in gunsight)

toggle gunsight illumination

course setter - increase
course setter - decrease

directional gyro - increase
directional gyro - decrease

toggle selected engine (ignition)

directional controls (ailerons, elevators, and rudder)

trim controls (elevator and rudder)

lean to gunsight

fire guns

throttle

boost cut-off

fuel cock #1 - toggle (main, auxiliary, off)

fuel contents gauge selector - next
fuel contents gauge selector - previous

increase mixture
decrease mixture

magnetos #1 - toggle
magnetos #2 - toggle (optional)

open radiator
close radiator

increase propeller pitch
decrease propeller pitch

raise landing flaps position
lower landing flaps position

raise undercarriage
lower undercarriage

engage emergency undercarriage system

wheel brakes

map

toggle canopy

jettison canopy

bail out

Many of these controls can be set to axes controls, and some are not needed for certain models.
Put your most used controls closer to your fingertips, for easiest access and better comfort.

Good luck and have fun.:thumbsup:

gombrowitch
Mar-12-2014, 17:19
It is possible to leave flat stall in Hurricane? I tried, but i cannot do literally nothing. Plane doesnt react. I used opposite rudder and push stick forwards - nothing. I just centered stick - nothing.

Muffin
Mar-12-2014, 17:43
It is possible to leave flat stall in Hurricane? I tried, but i cannot do literally nothing. Plane doesnt react. I used opposite rudder and push stick forwards - nothing. I just centered stick - nothing.

The Hurricane does have bad spin characteristics. It is possible to recover, but it takes time. A long time.... :cussing:

deviCe
Mar-12-2014, 18:06
Also don't forget to chop throttle.

gombrowitch
Mar-12-2014, 18:42
I choped throtle also and had a lot of time. I just bailed out after long time. :(

Ohms
Mar-12-2014, 19:04
Flat spin, you will not get out of. You can try everything and anything but with no airflow over the control surfaces you are out of luck.

DarrenMc
Feb-12-2019, 22:55
A diagram of where they go?

Also the course setter is tiny and unreadable ,also the Gyro so I don't need those.

DRock
Feb-12-2019, 23:10
A diagram of where they go?

Also the course setter is tiny and unreadable ,also the Gyro so I don't need those.

Yes, the compass and course setter can be a pain, but it’s historically accurate. Once you get use to it, it’s easy to read. I can quickly glance at the compass and know which way I’m heading. The gyro is used to give you a heading, but it’s a sensitive instrument and needs to be calibrated once you are airborne. Once set, put your mouse on it, and it will give you a digital reading.

The keys and axes go where you want them to. I don’t use any default bindings.

1lokos
Feb-12-2019, 23:19
Yes, the compass and course setter can be a pain, but it’s historically accurate.

No, they are not "historically accurate", Course Setter lack an important feature, the reference line - called "Lubber Line", for set desired course, a detail that ruin the experience of try use this instrument "historically". Is need use the dumb digital display (HUD).
For navigation purpose both are "half done" - Course Setter and HUD.

DRock
Feb-12-2019, 23:25
No, they are not "historically accurate", Course Setter lack an important feature, the reference line - called "Lubber Line", for set desired course, a detail that ruin the experience of try use this instrument "historically". Is need use the dumb digital display (HUD).
For navigation purpose both are "half done" - Course Setter and HUD.

Yes, there is a lubber line, it works, and is historically accurate.

I can teach you how to use it all if you like. Compass, Gyro, course setter, declination, map,...

Baffin
Feb-13-2019, 10:56
Yes, there is a lubber line, it works, and is historically accurate.

I can teach you how to use it all if you like. Compass, Gyro, course setter, declination, map,...

Please take a moment to post how this is displayed. The lack of lubber lines in the RAF fighters in CLoD has been a navigation shortcoming since the beginning and I'd like to learn how to display them in CLoD. :S

DRock
Feb-13-2019, 12:30
Please take a moment to post how this is displayed. The lack of lubber lines in the RAF fighters in CLoD has been a navigation shortcoming since the beginning and I'd like to learn how to display them in CLoD. :S

Ok, good, a real pilot. Hi Baffin.

The two parallel lines which rotate with course setter keys, I understood were called the lubber lines.

I rotate them to desired course + 10 degrees for declination. Rotate plane until compass North is parallel to the lubber lines (and pointing to red N). With no wind, that is your desired direction.

How else have I managed to navigate this map as well as training others to do so?

DRock
Feb-13-2019, 13:26
Have I mistaken the term 'lubber lines'?

Cliffs of Dover Hurricane (rotol100oct) cockpit.

My heading is 10 degrees magnetic, 0 degrees on the map.

WW2 RAF Aircraft compass

ATAG_Vampire
Feb-13-2019, 14:43
Sokol originally posted this image on the ED forum.

https://goo.gl/images/5ygEso

07 :salute:

Baffin
Feb-13-2019, 16:45
Have I mistaken the term 'lubber lines'?

Cliffs of Dover Hurricane (rotol100oct) cockpit.

My heading is 10 degrees magnetic, 0 degrees on the map.

WW2 RAF Aircraft compass

Yes, you have misunderstood the term "Lubber Line". A lubber line is a fixed line across the compass case which indicates the forward and back direction of the airplane. The compass rotates beneath the fixed lubber line and is read by looking through the lubber line. Sometimes they are referred to as "Upper Lubber Line" (Pointing forward) and "Lower Lubber Line" which references aft.

Entering "Lubber Line" into your favorite search engine will provide more information on this subject than you could have ever dreamed of. :joystick:

DRock
Feb-13-2019, 17:13
Yes, you have misunderstood the term "Lubber Line". A lubber line is a fixed line across the compass case which indicates the forward and back direction of the airplane. The compass rotates beneath the fixed lubber line and is read by looking through the lubber line.

Entering "Lubber Line" into your favorite search engine will provide more information on this subject than you could have ever dreamed of. :joystick:

Thanks for clarifying that. My mistake.

I'm able to navigate just fine without it, apparently.

Edit: The lines I was referring to are called boxing marks. Lubber line is a fixed mark on compass which indicates aircraft's direction of travel or centerline.

1lokos
Mar-05-2019, 21:10
The lack of "Lubber Line" in CloD P-8 compass defies any try in make "full real" navigation - I hate "blue'rish digital HUD's". :ind:

I was told that this is a "unimportant" detail, that maybe someday... maybe will be fixed.

DCS Spifire has this, but is modeled wrong, although usable. :dazed:
In IL-2:GB Spitfire compass/DG adjust is automated, so you don't have to do nothing, just follow DG as an "GPS". :thmbdwn:

DRock
Mar-05-2019, 22:38
The lack of "Lubber Line" in CloD P-8 compass defies any try in make "full real" navigation - I hate "blue'rish digital HUD's". :ind:

I was told that this is a "unimportant" detail, that maybe someday... maybe will be fixed.

DCS Spifire has this, but is modeled wrong, although usable. :dazed:
In IL-2:GB Spitfire compass/DG adjust is automated, so you don't have to do nothing, just follow DG as an "GPS". :thmbdwn:

You’re being petty, lokos.

The compass works just fine. I’ve taught many to use it. So what if you need digital assistance. With the restraints from lack of full movement (because it’s not real life), a little HUD helps fill in the realism gaps.

I’m not sure how you’ve made it this far when you would complain about this.

1lokos
Mar-05-2019, 23:36
I don't want use digital "HUD" - boring me see at very take-off/landing "Wheel brakes 80%, wheel brakes 81%, wheel brakes 82%..." - how someone think that this is needed in flight game?

Then how I will adjust Courser Setter for fly "red on red" like RL pilots tel in their "anecdotes"? :D

I bet that 99% of players (specially MP) just want an digital HUD that show - like most Luftwaffe pilots cheat with pop-up over compass:

HDG: 297º.

In the way that thing is, in British planes the digital HUD is not sufficient for navigate, neither the pop-up (like in LW planes), neither the analog compass - there's nothing near top o compass for create and reference, why the guy that project the dam thing add the "blessed" Lubber Line, that in game will be just a small rectangle in 2D.

SD_MBen
Mar-06-2019, 06:39
Smile...be happy!
:)

Link: https://www.scribd.com/doc/36234654/Hawker-Hurricane-Manual

Pans
Mar-06-2019, 07:24
like most Luftwaffe pilots cheat with pop-up over compass:

Yep, well done on your sweeping statements. Throwing shade at the rest of the community doesn't validate your opinion. Besides, our compasses are perfectly legible. We're far more bothered about our engine temperatures.