PDA

View Full Version : Racing sims: (Rfactor 2)

ATAG_NakedSquirrel
Feb-26-2014, 09:55
Was wondering if anyone in the community plays any racing sims. I haven't seriously played a racing sim since Grand Prix Legends. Something about those non-aerodynamic, overpowered, coffin shaped cars draws me back to the idea of hopping into a racing sim again.

One sim I was looking at is Rfactor2. Apparently it relies heavily on mods. Besides the occasional bugs that come with updates, I've heard mostly good things. I was wondering if someone has RF2 and could give an opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_p1WOQ5-MQ

The only other serious racing sim I came across was iracing, which is almost exclusively online, but the prices seem a bit steep. ~100$ a year subscription fee + 12$ per car + 12$ per track.

Any comments or experience in racing sims out there?

I look for the same thing in racing sims that I do with flight sims. Physics model, weather, engine managmenet, and damage model (Too bad there aren't any guns on the cars though =\ Interstate 76 anyone? :devilish:)

http://mimg.ugo.com/200812/15598/top-50-famous-cars-interstate-76.jpg
http://www.replaying.de/wp-content/uploads/bingo.jpg

Mudcat
Feb-26-2014, 10:54
iRacing *oops saw you already said that, but they have 50% off new memberships atm, so it's like $90 for 2 years

SUNSUN
Feb-26-2014, 11:34
Assetto Corsa if all goes well will be a powerhouse. Still in it's early stages, but looking and feeling good. Plus updates every 2 weeks! on online racing not yet but coming. :maddriver:

Gorgon14
Feb-26-2014, 20:18
Agreed. Assetto Corsa. IMHO massively superior to RF2 which is still technically in development (and has been for two years). AC is scheduled to be "done" this year. As has been pointed out AC is updated about every two weeks and the last RF2 update was late last year. Having said that, the RF2 tire model is very good but overall it is RF1 with a new tire model and some lipstick.

Rummy63
Feb-26-2014, 22:14
I am a racing sim fanatic. I played the first Rfactor for 3 years straight and loved it. I am also a huge fan of GTR2 by Simbin. I did try Rfactor 2 but asked for a refund because the sim is not far enough along in development. IRacing is too rich for my blood and the damage modeling is subpar. Yes, I have played IRacing. Raceroom Race Experience by Simbin is showing promise but you either like the physics or you don't. I, personally, like the physics so I am eager for the multiplayer component to be released. Project Cars looks great but rumour has it that sim will be more arcadish. F1 2013 is sim-arcade but is very fun. Assetto Corsa is very much a sim and the development is moving along smoothly. You can now race versus AI. There are also some NASCAR games out there but that's not my thing. It really all depends how much of a simulation you prefer and what racing class you prefer. In terms of pure simulation, I would say Assetto Corsa has the crown. As someone has already pointed out, there are new cars, tracks, or updates every 2 weeks and they have honored that promise. You can't say the same for IRacing or RFactor2. The cheapest and some of best racing games are GTR2 and GT Legends. GTR2 has the Power and Glory mod that is excellent. I also like the LMP Prototypes mods. You can pick-up GTR2 on sale on Steam for sometimes $2.50
Let me know if you want to race. I use a Logitech G27 wheel and pedals.

ATAG_Naz
Feb-27-2014, 05:41
Rfactor 2 is quite good, but I've only really dabbled with it despite owning the beta for months and months... I installed Assetto Corsa on Steam two or three days ago and I have been enjoying it immensely. In fact, Its grabbed me so much I haven't even been In my Spitfire since I downloaded AC!

I'm far from an expert on relative realism between the two, but the fact AC has really taken my attention speaks for itself in terms of pure enjoyment. I'll check rFactor2 out again after more updates or upon final full release, but I think AC has my vote.

Remember both are beta/early access, so there's still many features missing etc.

Hmmmm, I think I am going to go drive my F40 now ;)

9./JG52 Ziegler
Feb-27-2014, 07:31
Gentlemen start you engines!
I have Rfactor 2, Asetto Corsa and I run on Iracing also. Rfactor2 feels physically good and races well but the graphics are no where near the lush Asetto Corsa graphics. AC is the one to watch when MP comes available. It looks tremendous and it drives really well too. Iracing of course is the king of online MP format and it's getting better too but always feels a bit slippery to me. It requires allot of grinding to get competitive lap times. Just my .02, but I agree that AC is the one to watch and has serious big potential.:thumbsup: My Fanatec 911 turbo S and clubsport pedals are at the ready for the swapout with the Crosswind rudder peds :thumbsup:

ATAG_NakedSquirrel
Feb-27-2014, 15:22
I might give A.C. a try.

The main reasons I was leaning toward RF2 were the physics, weather dynamics, DM and AI.

AI is especially important with racing sims. Most racing sims have very robotic monomorphic AI. Grand Prix Legends had that problem until the mods introduced variable track routes and more realistic reaction times. It's kind of hard to tell with RF2, obviously the website says it has the best AI ever, as does any other racing sim. RF2 seems like it depends on modders, but with A.C. saying they are going to be 'mod friendly,' so it sounds like it has some really high potential.

iRacing seems like a neat idea. I'd be more interested to jump in but it looks to be god aweful expensive, and it's almost impossible to gauge how much it would cost to get into a single racing genre for that game since you cant look and see what tracks you need with which cars (or what tracks people tend to race on). I might think it's fun to run a Nascar style race, but to find out I need to buy 90$ worth of additional content to play with a group. Not only that, but you figure a game with that much revenue would have better graphics, damage, or how about rain? It would also be nice to be able to look at the server list to see if they are actually as filled as they say.

Mudcat
Feb-27-2014, 16:05
I'm waiting for the game that includes this (listen with the sound on, otherwise it seems silly :P)

http://youtu.be/6yd-yd1fzr0

9./JG52 Ziegler
Feb-27-2014, 19:04
I might give A.C. a try.

The main reasons I was leaning toward RF2 were the physics, weather dynamics, DM and AI.

AI is especially important with racing sims. Most racing sims have very robotic monomorphic AI. Grand Prix Legends had that problem until the mods introduced variable track routes and more realistic reaction times. It's kind of hard to tell with RF2, obviously the website says it has the best AI ever, as does any other racing sim. RF2 seems like it depends on modders, but with A.C. saying they are going to be 'mod friendly,' so it sounds like it has some really high potential.

iRacing seems like a neat idea. I'd be more interested to jump in but it looks to be god aweful expensive, and it's almost impossible to gauge how much it would cost to get into a single racing genre for that game since you cant look and see what tracks you need with which cars (or what tracks people tend to race on). I might think it's fun to run a Nascar style race, but to find out I need to buy 90$ worth of additional content to play with a group. Not only that, but you figure a game with that much revenue would have better graphics, damage, or how about rain? It would also be nice to be able to look at the server list to see if they are actually as filled as they say.

NS, To me iracing seems more vehicle specific at least initially with only a few cars available (to race) as a rookie. They have a licensing system where as a rookie, one needs to enter X races, time trials, etc...and race problem free laps (off tracks and accidents involving others are points against). You need to grind a bit in the Miata to get away from the rookies and start earning class licences that make other vehicles available to you (to race) on road courses. I haven't found it all that expensive but I only race road courses and no oval (nascar , stockcar).

ATAG_Naz
Feb-28-2014, 21:10
Update released today for Assetta Corsa. New track and New cars added amongst other things.

goody goody gum drops!!

:)

Marmus
Feb-28-2014, 21:36
Update released today for Assetta Corsa. New track and New cars added amongst other things.

goody goody gum drops!!

Naz,

How is it? Looks interesting. Never raced before. But perhaps it should be discussed in seperate thread, I don't want to hijack this thread.

ATAG_Naz
Mar-01-2014, 11:32
Hey Marmus

Yeah, I'm loving Assetto Corsa mate. Well worth a look if you have an urge for some road racing. There's no multiplayer as yet in the early access, but I'm enjoying just doing laps, learning the tracks and the cars (lots of different types of cars). You can do quick races against AI too.

Big thumbs up from me :thumbsup:

heinzknocke
Apr-24-2014, 04:25
the video with the lotus at Monza in the first part of this thread what game is that ?

Heinz

ATAG_Naz
Apr-24-2014, 20:53
the video with the lotus at Monza in the first part of this thread what game is that ?

Heinz

Thats rFactor2 mate :thumbsup:

heinzknocke
Apr-25-2014, 02:05
Thanks for the reply.

Heinz.