PDA

View Full Version : Rise of Flight Question

hnbdgr
Mar-04-2014, 05:04
Salute,

I've never played RoF - I found a lot of content on Steam for a LOT of money, I mean like 7 expansions at £15 each??? And no free version but I've been told the non-steam version is free! Can anybody explain the structure of it?

Is it better to buy the steam version or download the free to play version or perhaps is there an alternative solution?

many thanks!

Gorgon14
Mar-04-2014, 06:15
I would suggest go to:

https://www.indiegala.com/

and buy the steam bundle for 6 dollars (3.5 pounds). That would get you every thing you need to get started, two DLCs and about 90 dollars worth of stuff for very cheap. Steam doesn't sell the individual planes like the stand alone, they tend to sell them in groups with the mods and stuff included. That's why they are more expensive.

darkside3/4
Mar-04-2014, 12:22
Salute,

I've never played RoF - I found a lot of content on Steam for a LOT of money, I mean like 7 expansions at £15 each??? And no free version but I've been told the non-steam version is free! Can anybody explain the structure of it?

Is it better to buy the steam version or download the free to play version or perhaps is there an alternative solution?

many thanks!

http://riseofflight.com/en/store

Click the green link at top, it should be the free to play version with two or three aircraft.

ATAG_NakedSquirrel
Mar-04-2014, 15:17
You can buy all of the scouts for about 50-70$ from their website, bombers cost a bit more. There is also a sale going on right now on the RoF website.

The steam "expansions" come with planes, field mods, and weapon mods, which is a bit of a rip-off IMO. You shouldn't need most of the weapon/field mods for the aircraft, some of them are things like 'a cockpit light' or a clock. It's better to buy one steam version like channel battles and to get the rest of the aircraft through their website when they are on sale, or buy a large batch of planes. Typically if you buy 5+ planes at a time you get 50% off.

The indigala site looks to have a really good sale going too, never bought anything from there.

ChiefRedCloud
Mar-04-2014, 15:52
I would recommend trying the Free-To Play first. This way if you like it you can move forward with other purchases. The half price sale ends today.

Mudcat
Mar-04-2014, 16:12
well for $6 and some change I would probably just go ahead and get it, if i didn't have it already, heck I would buy it now if I didn't already have it and those DLC's, for that price, plus a bunch of other games... hard to say no, I may even pick it up at the end of the week, just as a giveaway for someone etc. But i'm always a sucker for the bundles, but either way, this bundle is less than it would be for a single DLC pack, even at half price.

Gorgon14
Mar-04-2014, 18:17
You can buy all of the scouts for about 50-70$ from their website, bombers cost a bit more. There is also a sale going on right now on the RoF website.

The steam "expansions" come with planes, field mods, and weapon mods, which is a bit of a rip-off IMO. You shouldn't need most of the weapon/field mods for the aircraft, some of them are things like 'a cockpit light' or a clock. It's better to buy one steam version like channel battles and to get the rest of the aircraft through their website when they are on sale, or buy a large batch of planes. Typically if you buy 5+ planes at a time you get 50% off.

The indigala site looks to have a really good sale going too, never bought anything from there.

I never had either until the other day...I also own the stand alone and several planes but that bundle is one hell of a deal.

Last-minute_lucy
Mar-04-2014, 23:22
For $6 or for free RoF is really a wonderful WWI aviation experience even if you fly every now and then just to slow things down to biplane speeds and work on aerobatics and combat tactics.
Fights are very up close and personal at WWI speeds and distances.
So Close!!!!!!!
You can swoop down to strafe a train and have it almost pull away from you as you slowly trundle along.

ATAG_NakedSquirrel
Mar-05-2014, 10:17
I never had either until the other day...I also own the stand alone and several planes but that bundle is one hell of a deal.

Just make sure you don't already have the planes you want when you buy a bundle. The bundles are a little confusing, once you start buying planes or bundles, you have to be careful about what bundles you buy, otherwise you'll be paying twice for content you already have.

I don't recommend using steam bundles to get game content, you'll save money going directly through the RoF website or buying them on sites like indiegala (6$ is hard to beat).

I enjoy RoF, but I really think players should get the best bang for their buck. The most important things to own with RoF is the channel map, and at least one plane for every 'era' of the war (so you dont get left out on MP missions)

Arthursmedley
Mar-05-2014, 13:36
It's better to buy one steam version like channel battles and to get the rest of the aircraft through their website when they are on sale, or buy a large batch of planes. Typically if you buy 5+ planes at a time you get 50% off.

I'm not sure if that's right. I think you can not mix them like that. If you bought a version from Steam then you must buy all future content from Steam. If you buy from the RoF store then future content must be purchased there. Apparently the data bases are separate. This is worth a look at;

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/download/file.php?id=45312&mode=view

Gorgon14
Mar-06-2014, 06:13
Correct. They cannot be mixed. So if you are just starting out, you can get the channel map bundle (includes channel map and all content from the ICE version) and the contents of two bundles for six dollars US for the steam version. Wait for the inevitable sales for the rest of the content you want.

hnbdgr
Mar-07-2014, 07:10
Wow, that's diagram is super confusing....!:stunned: I don't mind spending $6 for all that content (awesome work to whoever spotted that!) so I think I'll start there!

I take it I can still download the free to play version and install it separately to try out the original maps..

Many thanks for all the answers folks!:thumbsup:

Gorgon14
Mar-07-2014, 09:04
FYI, The channel battles pack comes with the channel map and the original map and the original aircraft so really no need for the download version if you are going with the steam version. :thumbsup:

hnbdgr
Mar-07-2014, 09:25
FYI, The channel battles pack comes with the channel map and the original map and the original aircraft so really no need for the download version if you are going with the steam version. :thumbsup:

Ah, well then I'm sorted for now:thumbsup:. I don't envision spending more money on it in the near future, should there be some sort of super sale on in the future i might do. Looking at their website there is a massive selection of flyable planes, I mean I never knew there were so bloody many plane types in ww1!

Mudcat
Mar-07-2014, 10:24
Have to thank Gorgon14 for the link to that site. Even though I already had it, picked it up and maybe hang onto it for someone one day.

Gorgon14
Mar-07-2014, 15:22
Just so you know, the steam version will not mesh with the stuff you can buy from the RoF store. Something about steam content has to be purchased through steam. At least for this title...:D So you are kind of locked into one or the other. So, to be clear, you can't buy a plane from the RoF store and use it in your steam version. However, the steam packs have most everything on the site and go on sale often, just like everything else on steam.

ATAG_NakedSquirrel
Mar-14-2014, 11:08
Just so you know, the steam version will not mesh with the stuff you can buy from the RoF store. Something about steam content has to be purchased through steam. At least for this title...:D So you are kind of locked into one or the other. So, to be clear, you can't buy a plane from the RoF store and use it in your steam version. However, the steam packs have most everything on the site and go on sale often, just like everything else on steam.

That sucks :(

They have a really crap business model. It worked great to keep the game on it's feet when the original publisher bailed on them, but they really should have changed it to fit better with steam.

I'm not saying you need every plane to play the game, but you need one plane of each time period, especially to play in MP, and the steam bundles don't really provide that unless you buy quite a few of them. You're also stuck paying for content you might not want/use like clocks and cockpit lights for planes.

Oh well. Hopefully the steam sales give really good discounts.

Gorgon14
Mar-14-2014, 18:30
Agreed. It's not my favorite. However, if you add up the cost of the planes in those packs and the weapons mods and other DLC that's included, they are actually a little cheaper than buying it full price from the store for the same thing. With the steam sales, it'll be even cheaper. There's one or two fighter-centric packs I've got my eye on. I got the bombers and seaplanes as part of my Indie bundle, but I never would have bought them otherwise.