PDA

View Full Version : The Tangmere Pilots are now Recruiting

Mancspartan
Mar-06-2014, 06:32
Welcome all to 1940's Britain...
King George VI is on the throne, and Prime Minister Winston Churchill is leading the nation in a desperate fight for survival against Adolf Hitler's Third Reich. In the skies above the British Isles and mainland Europe, as well as the Mediterranean and the Far East, aircraft of the Royal Air Force and Royal Fleet Air Arm strike relentlessly at the enemy.

The virtual world of the 'Tangmere Pilots'... allows us to climb into the cockpit of a 1940's fighter aircraft and soar into the sky of WW2, previously using 'IL-2 1946' and now 'IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover'. We take our flying seriously and our attitude to on-line community and 'squadron spirit' more so. If you are interested in the following:

SCORING SYSTEM
Comprehensive with verified aircraft kills, ground targets and completed mission objectives.

CAMPAIGNS / MISSIONS
We relish re-enacting each major WW2 RAF campaign with staggering realism and detail.

PROMOTION
Rise through the ranks with increasing ability, commitment responsibility and discipline.

MEDALS
Get 'Mentioned in Despatches' for bravery and devotion. Consistency will surely earn you a medal...

then apply now...the link is in my sig

Sign up for Pilot Training and start your journey through OTU and begin a great, fun and rewarding career in the 'Tangmere Pilots'. We are a good bunch of chaps and once you join us, you will find it very difficult to leave. Knowledge of the period, as well as 'living the part' are essential to get the most out of it!

Baffin
Mar-11-2014, 11:33
What is "OTU"?

ATAG_Snapper
Mar-11-2014, 11:55
What is "OTU"?

"Operational Training Unit" :D

Catseye
Mar-11-2014, 12:00
What is "OTU"?

You get to fly a nice bright yellow aircraft for a while.

WindWpn
Mar-11-2014, 12:21
Interesting and very well written manuals. However, a few details that caught my eye:

No Outside Views: disabled
No Padlock: disabled
No Map Path: disabled

Thus, external views and padlocking is allowed? Not sure with the Map Path setting as I do not use it (enabled).

9./JG52 Ziegler
Mar-11-2014, 17:28
They have one of the best websites I've ever seen.
Do you fellows ever fly online against other humans, or is it all missions/campaigns against AI?

SoW Reddog
Mar-11-2014, 18:46
Well they're doing well enough in the Storm of War campaign which is about as tough as I think it gets.

Catseye
Mar-11-2014, 22:06
Interesting and very well written manuals. However, a few details that caught my eye:

No Outside Views: disabled
No Padlock: disabled
No Map Path: disabled

Thus, external views and padlocking is allowed? Not sure with the Map Path setting as I do not use it (enabled).

Yup,
Certainly goes against the grain of full-real.

Nothing like having to use instruments and navigational aids to determine your location.

For me, that would ruin the sense of the suspension of disbelief.

They must have their reasons.

9./JG52 Ziegler
Mar-12-2014, 08:13
Well they're doing well enough in the Storm of War campaign which is about as tough as I think it gets.

Easy Reddog. I wasn't suggesting that they are somehow inferior?

I saw them flying Sunday and hoped they would clarify as to why they do/don't "usually" fly against humans. You know, for prospective recruits?

SoW Reddog
Mar-12-2014, 11:02
Sorry Ziegler, hadn't realised you'd seen the light and the error of your side choice :D

TP need to answer for themselves the reasoning behind their realism settings, I was merely pointing out that they did fly against humans online as your question used "ever" and "or is it all". No harm, no foul as they say.

Mancspartan
Mar-13-2014, 08:51
They have one of the best websites I've ever seen.
Do you fellows ever fly online against other humans, or is it all missions/campaigns against AI?

Hiya Ziegler

Thanks for the commendation, we are very pleased with the website.

Our main Operations are flown on Sunday evenings against the AI, with missions created by our talented creators. This has been the way for several years now, but as has been stated above, we are very keen participants in SoW :) You will also find some of us on ATAG now and again.

No601_Swallow
Mar-13-2014, 09:40
Yup,
Certainly goes against the grain of full-real.

Nothing like having to use instruments and navigational aids to determine your location.

For me, that would ruin the sense of the suspension of disbelief.

They must have their reasons.

Squadron mates will have their own take on our difficulty settings, but this is how I see it. We're more of a "historical recreation society" than a jousting DF bunch of competitors. Simming is more of a game to us than a competition, perhaps, so IL2 '46 coops is what we've been flying since the cows came home. Using CloD for this has caused all sorts of problems and it took us months and months to develop the workarounds to enable us to do what we want to do, so we were probably slower to convert to CloD than others.

For flying historical (more or less) missions, we find that AI behave themselves more than flesh and blood humans, so we've stuck with flying against AI for our official ops. But in addition to training and "fun" coops (obstacle courses, dogfighting in Blenheims, etc), we dogfight among ourselves all the time. Since we're a bunch of mates on comms together, it's fun. A game. As some have noted, though, as a group we're getting more stuck in on SOW and ATAG (a bit).

As for settings - they're fun settings. Externals is on so we can watch the action after we die on ops, and take the piss when someone mucks up a landing.

In IL2 we had the mini-map path on, because we couldn't be bothered with navigation except for certain missions (our Banf campaign, if I recall). We used it for all our pacific campaigns. Too much horizion! For CloD, though, we have no map icons on at all, so screaming at the gyro drift is now de-rigour.

Padlock, I dunno. I don't use it.

Apart from that, the rest of the switches are "full"!

But they're settings we've settled on for fun and for nothing else. There are many ways to approach our hobby, and I ain't going to judge or be judged as to how we approach it ourselves. As enthusiasts, whatever feeds that enthusiasm is good, whatever detracts isn't. Obviously, going into a full real environment means a bit of an adjustment, and some of us are eager, while others can't be bothered. As a whole, TP tends to move a the pace of the slowest pilot (and a few of us are pretty slow...).

No601_Swallow
Mar-13-2014, 09:57
That was a bit of an essay, wasn't it! Sorry!

(I didn't mean to go on so much, but it's always interesting to hear what others are doing with the game. It's only recently that we've started to try to catch up with some of the scripting and other possibilities that CloD offers. And I'm looking forward to the next patch, which may be more of a game changer than some of my squadron mates think!)

TP_Dutch
Mar-13-2014, 10:13
Swallow beat me to it, & has nicely summed up our position in the virtual world.

I'll add.......

Padlock was adopted more than 10 years ago to level the playing field against the all seeing AI in our operational flights. We have around 30 active pilots, & I would guess that around half fly missions without externals (while actually flying) or padlock. Padlock/externals are neither frowned upon or encouraged - it's up to you!.....although as Swallow says - navigation is now required.

There are many of us that enjoy the challenge of full switch & in the (IL2) past we've flown many inter-squad matches using those settings. Our principle opponents were the excellent JG54 Greenhearts (Zent, Zoilus, Emil, JabX, Baron et al). We also took part in 1 season of the USL - a great experience, now being replicated (bettered!) by SoW.

Thanks for the website compliment Ziegler - it was designed & built by one of our most talented chaps - Reggie - a Rhodesian warrior with a penchant for grass skirts.:D

TPReggie
Mar-13-2014, 13:23
Swallow beat me to it, & has nicely summed up our position in the virtual world.

I'll add.......

Padlock was adopted more than 10 years ago to level the playing field against the all seeing AI in our operational flights. We have around 30 active pilots, & I would guess that around half fly missions without externals (while actually flying) or padlock. Padlock/externals are neither frowned upon or encouraged - it's up to you!.....although as Swallow says - navigation is now required.

There are many of us that enjoy the challenge of full switch & in the (IL2) past we've flown many inter-squad matches using those settings. Our principle opponents were the excellent JG54 Greenhearts (Zent, Zoilus, Emil, JabX, Baron et al). We also took part in 1 season of the USL - a great experience, now being replicated (bettered!) by SoW.

Thanks for the website compliment Ziegler - it was designed & built by one of our most talented chaps - Reggie - a Rhodesian warrior with a penchant for grass skirts.:D

Oi you!! get your hands out from under my grass skirt you cheeky so and so :)

Thank you chaps - glad you like the website, it has been a labour of love (and at times hate) for me and a close friend for several months, but I am very happy that the TP chaps seem to like it, and it has been well received in the community.

I can see the point of the questions, we should change the manual really as we fly full real navigation in CLOD so the flight path on bit is now incorrect.

Padlock, I honestly don't know if it has been used for years now, we leave it on but I know I have never used it and I am unaware of anyone else who does. I seem to remember it was left on in the old days for those who did not have Track Ir. I strongly suspect we could turn it off now and nobody would notice.

As has been said externals are are used in general for those who have been shot down, bailed or just want to watch Bunny trying to land which is always a giggle :)

There is plenty full real stuff going on with Tangmere Pilots, the chaps are loving SOW and I am finding myself very tempted to join in, Full Real dogfights are also common with us too - so we are certainly not flying the game as arcade, we cover full real as well.

WindWpn
Mar-13-2014, 13:35
I see references to "SOW" in this thread... what is SOW? I have heard of the IL2 1946 SEOW campaign, but is SOW something similar for CLOD?

I would be very interested to find a full-real online CLOD campaign offering similar to what Ghost Skies (GS) is for IL2. An objective-based ongoing consequence-oriented campaign which is full real and "dead is dead" to promote survivability and tactics. Perhaps GS will adopt CLOD with TF mods in the future, but was wondering if there are any similar offerings now out there for CLOD? My Sunday and Tuesday evenings are now devoted to GS as we are in the midst of a NATO/Soviet war following WWII (1946) utilizing the Alpen East map, but a BoB GS style campaign in CLOD would be quite an experience!

~S~
wind

PS: sorry for the hijack post! :)

Osprey
Mar-13-2014, 14:31
SOW is Storm Of War http://www.stormofwar.net/ and the campaign runs on Sunday evenings from about 5pm to 9pm UK time (I think). Most campaigns runs Sundays, ours does too. The only one I think that does not is No.401 (Canadian) Sqn run by Wolverine for his chaps which is vs AI, I don't know the extent of the scoring. Our campaign has similar objectives to TP, we are also interested in immersion and history over 'winning', but our difference lies in that we have a human Luftwaffe to fight our human RAF, except bombers, which are AI and behave themselves perfectly.

Ghost Skies died out and was replaced with objective based USL (United Squadrons League), brainchild of the late 334th_Prince. That ran for 5 or 6 years, didn't realise someone had taken up Ghost Skies again, sounds like it's back to objectives following the USL model, it used to be just a squad airspawn shootdown thing. What is it you like, the competitiveness or historical immersion? There is a lot to be said for immersion over competition, I've done both and tbh I find more enjoyment from the immersion side of things, right down to our bullsh*t flight reports you can read on our forums (amusing reads). I was a USL winner for Open Pit with 334th and Closed Pit with TUA (JG54_Zoilus flew with us), and the RAF in 3 SOW campaigns prior to this one so I know what squad competition is like, maybe I'm all spent lol

Time to migrate from 1946 mate, it's overdue.........

WindWpn
Mar-13-2014, 15:27
Ghost Skies died out and was replaced with objective based USL (United Squadrons League), brainchild of the late 334th_Prince. That ran for 5 or 6 years, didn't realise someone had taken up Ghost Skies again, sounds like it's back to objectives following the USL model, it used to be just a squad airspawn shootdown thing. What is it you like, the competitiveness or historical immersion? There is a lot to be said for immersion over competition, I've done both and tbh I find more enjoyment from the immersion side of things, right down to our bullsh*t flight reports you can read on our forums (amusing reads). I was a USL winner for Open Pit with 334th and Closed Pit with TUA (JG54_Zoilus flew with us), and the RAF in 3 SOW campaigns prior to this one so I know what squad competition is like, maybe I'm all spent lol

Time to migrate from 1946 mate, it's overdue.........

GS (http://www.ghostskies.com/) is very much alive and well..., right now its the best out there I have found for full immersion in a full-real closed pit environment. The "dead is dead" feature promotes survivability and all comms coordination along with solidified flight makeup allows for flyers to know their wingmen and engage well coordinated tactics to meet mission objectives. Basically, the flights comprise of active squads or freelancers who have flown together for long time and flights remain together throughout duration of campaign. Command structure manages ground as well as air assets (all human/no AI) and the goals focus on territory capture, ground and air warfare, and ultimately points scoring. GS is side vs side (comprising flights), as compared to squad vs squad which sounds like was the basis for USL.

Most GS campaign scenarios are historical or alternative (such as current NATO/Soviet conflict in Alpen East) and are consequence based on the DCG dynamic campaign engine. Basically it is historical immersion as it puts flyers into a "living" historical campaign scenario which is driven by success/failure of the given team side. The scenario may not play out as history did, but uncertainty while in a historical arena is quite immerse and fun!

Now if something similar was offered for CLOD, I would be all over it. However, have not seen it yet, thus 1946 remains active on the HD. Though, I do enjoy hopping on ATAG for some CLOD full real similar to 1946 offerings such as Spits vs 109s, AoE, Warbirds, etc. However, if that GS equivalent for CLOD came along.....?!

~S~
wind

Osprey
Mar-15-2014, 05:57
Patch 4.3 due on Monday will contain a new DCG. No excuses ;)

Seriously the power of cod missions has always been ahead of 1946 because of the script engine, it's up to the user to get out what they want. In short, you could've been doing this stuff in cod ages ago. With respect Wind, it just sounds like you just want someone else to do it all for you but with 4.3 I think that will just become easier anyway.

9./JG52_Meyer
May-07-2014, 09:07
Greetings to all the Girlie swots at TP . :thumbsup:

Mancspartan
May-30-2014, 09:26

Cheers Meyer - Some of them are quite attractive dont you know!

9./JG52_Meyer
May-31-2014, 04:41
Hmmmm not from what i can remember :P ......well ok, maybe Tiger is a bit cuddly but thats all

No1_Jacko
Feb-18-2015, 05:51

Girlie Swots is a phrase I remember Stappers would use are you one and the same I wonder. I also recall on one ops his outburst on comms about a snake being in his cockpit, then oh its ok his zipper was open :)

No1_Jacko
Feb-18-2015, 05:55

No601_Swallow
Feb-18-2015, 06:46
:woohoo:

9./JG52_Meyer
Feb-18-2015, 09:56
Nice Vid fellas , yes Jacko tis i Stappers as you can see i have defected to the side with the better looking uniforms :thumbsup:
Good luck from me and my Kameraden at 9./JG52 to all at TP.

"Hals-Und Beinbruch"

Osprey
Feb-18-2015, 11:15
Cochise, love Soundgarden, and my band cover this song but you should've gone into the full riff, it has loads of punch.

1lokos
Feb-18-2015, 15:16
2x

1lokos
Feb-18-2015, 15:17
What is "OTU"?

A place to play with "flight simulator" in 1940's. :D

http://kenfentonswar.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/link-trainer-1.jpg?w=1176&h=887
https://legionmagazine.com/en/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Halliday3.jpg
http://kenfentonswar.com/raf-training/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxJs0-sCoyM

WOW! A very nice "Idiotenreihen" (https://books.google.com.br/books?id=15VZY-ZPn4cC&pg=PA49&dq=idiotenreihen&hl=pt-BR&sa=X&ei=Rv7kVK2kIMPksATnoIDQDw&ved=0CCUQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=idiotenreihen&f=false) at 0:30. :bravo: :)

No1_Jacko
Feb-20-2015, 06:14
Nice Vid fellas , yes Jacko tis i Stappers as you can see i have defected to the side with the better looking uniforms :thumbsup:
Good luck from me and my Kameraden at 9./JG52 to all at TP.

"Hals-Und Beinbruch"

Ahaa, I shall keep a special eye for you then
Cheers
Jacko