PDA

View Full Version : New engine fire effect update - Video originally planned for release on March 7th

Mysticpuma
Mar-11-2014, 07:12
Team Fusion effects members have been working hard to enhance the current effects and one of these is a completely new engine fire effect.

It was reported a few times that when engine fires occurred, it was hard to see if this really had happened. Well, thanks to the effects team, this is now very much a visible effect.

https://vimeo.com/88746470

https://vimeo.com/88746470

Cheers, MP

Mattias
Mar-11-2014, 07:20
Lovely vid Mystic :clap:

zami
Mar-11-2014, 07:22
Nice work once again! :thumbsup:

Vlerkies
Mar-11-2014, 07:22
Super :thumbsup:

No601_Swallow
Mar-11-2014, 07:23
:stunned:That is just spectacular! (Can't wait for v4.3!!! :thumbsup:)

Muffin
Mar-11-2014, 07:26
Looks amazing. Another good reason to 'try' and get shot down!! :)

Continu0
Mar-11-2014, 07:28
:stunned:

Fantastic shot a 0:39, when the plane sinks under its own smoke-trail! Wonderful effect, thanks!

Archie
Mar-11-2014, 07:29
:stunned: Brilliant!

Tvrdi
Mar-11-2014, 07:34
Present after the present....and it seams it will never stop....

amazing

ATAG_Snapper
Mar-11-2014, 07:41
I'm........gobsmacked!!!! :stunned:

Nice work, Team Fusion. Great video, MP! :bravo:

dburne
Mar-11-2014, 07:55
Very nicely done, superb!!!

Pickle72
Mar-11-2014, 08:41
Very cool!
I was yelling at the pilot all the way down, GET OUT OF THERE!! Freaking me out:stunned:

Mysticpuma
Mar-11-2014, 08:56
Very cool!
I was yelling at the pilot all the way down, GET OUT OF THERE!! Freaking me out:stunned:

Sadly as you can see in the slow motion for hits...he wasn't going to make it out of there :(

RIP Virtual Pilot, TF appreciate your sacrifice in the making of this video :angel:

Cheers, MP

=FI=Murph
Mar-11-2014, 09:01
Amazing. I noticed that the video called the next patch 4.3? Is that it's new designation?

Meaks
Mar-11-2014, 09:02
Excellent,and what we've all come to expect of you fine chaps at Team Fusion,BRAVO :bravo:

Mysticpuma
Mar-11-2014, 09:05
Amazing. I noticed that the video called the next patch 4.3? Is that it's new designation?

So I'm told ;)

GERMANWOLF
Mar-11-2014, 09:08
Wow !!!show man !!!ty

DUI
Mar-11-2014, 09:32
Looking dangerously great! :guilty:

ATAG_Naz
Mar-11-2014, 11:00
:yikes::faint:

Brilliant.

Archie
Mar-11-2014, 11:05
4.3? It'll be 4.8 by Friday at this rate... :thumbsup:

9./JG52_J-HAT
Mar-11-2014, 11:18
Very nice! The flames licking the side of the fuselage look really cool.

I have a question, though. Is fire in the game just a visual effect or does the fire cause any damage? The engine stopped because it got hits. Not because of the fire. The fire does not spread. Only seen it when you have it in the 109 control surfaces.
On Sunday during SoW I set a Ju 88 wing on fire. I thought it would be a goner (the fuel tank is on fire after all, I confirmed it in the stats) and disengaged. Just to have it fly back and land safely (even if it ditched, it still counted as safe landing).

Sandy1942
Mar-11-2014, 11:25
Looks fantastically - the real live flame blown off by a counter flow! :thumbsup:

Kling
Mar-11-2014, 11:25
Very nice! The flames licking the side of the fuselage look really cool.

I have a question, though. Is fire in the game just a visual effect or does the fire cause any damage? The engine stopped because it got hits. Not because of the fire. The fire does not spread. Only seen it when you have it in the 109 control surfaces.
On Sunday during SoW I set a Ju 88 wing on fire. I thought it would be a goner (the fuel tank is on fire after all, I confirmed it in the stats) and disengaged. Just to have it fly back and land safely (even if it ditched, it still counted as safe landing).

The fire occurs with critical engine damage, so the engine will be gone within 30 secs once you see this fire.

AA_Engadin
Mar-11-2014, 11:50
Team Fusion effects members have been working hard to enhance the current effects and one of these is a completely new engine fire effect.

It was reported a few times that when engine fires occurred, it was hard to see if this really had happened. Well, thanks to the effects team, this is now very much a visible effect.

Cheers, MP

You TF team will never stop amazing me with the performance you can squeeze out of CloD given your limited resources .... but unlimited enthusiasm. :cheers:

Unlimited cheers.

AA_Engadin

9./JG52_J-HAT
Mar-11-2014, 12:04
The fire occurs with critical engine damage, so the engine will be gone within 30 secs once you see this fire.

Thanks Kling, but that exactly what I wrote. The engine got hit, was set on fire, and will stop (not because it's on fire; the fire is there because the engine was badly hit and will stop anyways). I meant fires in general, if they do any damage.

ElGringo
Mar-11-2014, 12:16
So its 4.3 now :-)

Kling
Mar-11-2014, 12:16
Thanks Kling, but that exactly what I wrote. The engine got hit, was set on fire, and will stop (not because it's on fire; the fire is there because the engine was badly hit and will stop anyways). I meant fires in general, if they do any damage.

In some cases fire will set other parts of the plane on fire. The DM of the game is not completely understood ;)
For TF5.0 the plan is to focus on the DM! This new fire effect is mod of an effect that was always there, but more or less invisible and without smoke.

Blitzen
Mar-11-2014, 12:24
As soon as the 4.02 is available my support check will be in the mail! Thanks Guys!:thumbsup:

9./JG52_J-HAT
Mar-11-2014, 12:48
Thanks Kling! Yup, it looks real cool!

No.401_Wolverine
Mar-11-2014, 13:20
Looks great. Any chance to see a vid of the new effect on a 109?

heinkill
Mar-11-2014, 13:28
Ow.

Mysticpuma
Mar-11-2014, 13:35

Plenty of time....more videos to come :)

ATAG_Ribbs
Mar-11-2014, 13:46
:bravo::bravo::bravo:

MORE VIDEOS TO COME!!

:getaway::popcorn2:

Wolfskid
Mar-11-2014, 14:29
Mystic, you have outdone yourself once again even.....:).

Thank you very much for your Video and your work.:thumbsup:.....

A Great Springtime.......

Wolfskid

heinkill
Mar-11-2014, 14:33
Plenty of time....more videos to come :)

Not too much time hopefully?

♣_Spiritus_♣
Mar-11-2014, 16:46
Update Tuesday! Love it. Taco Tuesday + TF update Tuesday is unbeatable.

I can't wait for TF 8.439 to come out. :devilish:

Great work, can't wait and can't thank you guys enough.

keeno
Mar-11-2014, 17:17
Amazing work, I've watched it a dozen times, absolutely amazing.

Am I wrong in saying that the damage modelling of the spitfire is a lot more than is currently available, not the fire, the actual bullet damage?

Cheers.

Kling
Mar-11-2014, 17:20
Amazing work, I've watched it a dozen times, absolutely amazing.

Am I wrong in saying that the damage modelling of the spitfire is a lot more than is currently available, not the fire, the actual bullet damage?

Cheers.

The damage modeling of this game is amazing! We have only started to scratch on the surface of it! ;)

ATAG_Lolsav
Mar-11-2014, 17:25
I found it funny the letters on the spitfire. Dont know if its human piloted or AI, but it has the letters "DUK" :)

DUI
Mar-12-2014, 06:43

How weird, why should anyone want to see the engine of a 109 burning!?

If you really want to endure this torture you might want to have a look at todays TF update (http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9188&p=101025&viewfull=1#post101025)... ;)

310_cibule
Mar-12-2014, 07:47
Looks/sounds fantastic! Thx for keeping the dream alive.

Mysticpuma
Mar-12-2014, 09:17
How weird, why should anyone want to see the engine of a 109 burning!?

If you really want to endure this torture you might want to have a look at todays TF update (http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9188&p=101025&viewfull=1#post101025)... ;)

I knew I had already made that video....I didn't have the heart to tell him ;)

Kling
Mar-12-2014, 09:22
Although to be strict, these are two different types of engine fire... The 109 is suffering from cylinder fire while the Spitfire is suffering from "fire on leaking oil inside the engine compartment) ;)

Roblex
Mar-12-2014, 14:01
In some cases fire will set other parts of the plane on fire. The DM of the game is not completely understood ;)
For TF5.0 the plan is to focus on the DM! This new fire effect is mod of an effect that was always there, but more or less invisible and without smoke.

That would be cool. The He111 was particularly prone to losing a wing soon after the engine caught fire because it would ignite the adjacent fuel tank in the wing-root.

One thing confuses me though Kling. Unless I misunderstood, you are saying that the engine fire is only a visual effect caused by engine damage and otherwise does no damage but Catseye is advocating that Reds should use mostly De-Wilde ammo because it starts fires and does more damage. Those two statements do not agree unless the De-Wilde just happens to do more kinetic damage that ball and AP regardless of the pretty but superficial flames (though it is always nice to see :D ) In the pic below, the engine dropped off in flames while the engine mount continued to burn.

Kling
Mar-12-2014, 14:09
That would be cool. The He111 was particularly prone to losing a wing soon after the engine caught fire because it would ignite the adjacent fuel tank in the wing-root.

One thing confuses me though Kling. Unless I misunderstood, you are saying that the engine fire is only a visual effect caused by engine damage and otherwise does no damage but Catseye is advocating that Reds should use mostly De-Wilde ammo because it starts fires and does more damage. Those two statements do not agree unless the De-Wilde just happens to do more kinetic damage that ball and AP regardless of the pretty but superficial flames (though it is always nice to see :D ) In the pic below, the engine dropped off in flames while the engine mount continued to burn.

As mentioned before, the DM is not completely understood ;)
What I do know is a few example of fire spreading to other parts of the aircraft. The Fw200 is a good example. Set a fuel tank on fire and the fire will also spread to set the wing itself on fire until the whole bloody wing is on fire. But if it happens to all fires or just fuel tank fire or only on the Fw200 i'm not sure. Its all a learning process for us as well ;)

This game was initially rushed out before it was ready so there are plenty of half finished codes in there.. ;)

Roblex
Mar-13-2014, 04:47
As mentioned before, the DM is not completely understood ;)
What I do know is a few example of fire spreading to other parts of the aircraft. The Fw200 is a good example. Set a fuel tank on fire and the fire will also spread to set the wing itself on fire until the whole bloody wing is on fire. But if it happens to all fires or just fuel tank fire or only on the Fw200 i'm not sure. Its all a learning process for us as well ;)

This game was initially rushed out before it was ready so there are plenty of half finished codes in there.. ;)

I suppose my follow up question then would be 'Is there any extra damage done to a FW200 wing when the fire spreads?' So far the two examples we have discussed have been fire happening after the plane has already suffered mortal damage so would die anyway with or without the fire. It appears at present that setting someones elevator on fire does not even cause a larger hole in the elevator and reduced response as I would expect.

I am assuming that De-Wilde does at least mean the difference between slow death from a fuel tank leak and rapid death from a fire but is even that true? Are the fires we see not so much 'leaking fuel igniting and making the damage worse' so much as 'Fatal engine damage causing a purely cosmetic fire'? You keep saying we don't understand the DM enough yet so you can treat that question as rhetorical :D

9./JG52_J-HAT
Mar-13-2014, 05:12
Roblex,

the only real damage I have personally experienced due to fire was in control surfaces while flying the 109. If you set the fabric on fire, the fire will eventually spread until there is nothing left of the fabric to burn. It does not spread to any other surfaces.
The result from the complete burn out is almost no response from that control surface.

The problem is it takes some time until the fire has burned everything. And it is quite easy to just dive and put it out before it burns the fabric down to the metal structure.
So if you know how to react, the fire won't have time to do any real damage.

Fuel tank fire on the other hand has killed my pilot in the 109 (the screen starts getting red and evetually turns black). I have never stayed long enough after this one time to see if it's always like that, though. Fire = bail out for me.

Mattias
Mar-13-2014, 05:27
Roblex,

the only real damage I have personally experienced due to fire was in control surfaces while flying the 109. If you set the fabric on fire, the fire will eventually spread until there is nothing left of the fabric to burn. It does not spread to any other surfaces.
The result from the complete burn out is almost no response from that control surface.

The problem is it takes some time until the fire has burned everything. And it is quite easy to just dive and put it out before it burns the fabric down to the metal structure.

Fuel tank fire on the other hand has killed my pilot in the 109 (the screen starts getting red and evetually turns black). I have never stayed long enough after this one time to see if it's always like that, though. Fire = bail out for me.

:salute:

Correct -at speed the wind will take care or minor fires before they have a chance to cause major damage or spread (and a fire in a fabric control surface will have problems spreading to all-metal parts regardless :D). I once landed a He-111 with an engine on fire and, without any wind to suppress it, the fire spread to pretty much the all the rest of the plane :thumbsup:

But as Kling said, some fire effects do not seem to spread. Needless to say we have plenty to look into for TF5 :D

Cheers/m

ATAG_Lewis
Mar-13-2014, 08:03
Yummy Yummy Eye Candy there.....Beautiful work..!!

Roblex
Mar-13-2014, 08:19
Roblex,

OK that sounds fair enough. In that case DeWilde is worth using. I thought I had set someones elevators on fire in a Single Player Mission and afger using Ctl-F2 could not see any damage at all. I also did it to a 109 online a few days ago and although he continued to fly around without any steep dives it just went out and he did not show any signs of elevator problems after.

I assume that when you saw a control surface on fire and dove to put it out you were talking about an aileron? I don't suppose you would know your elevator was on fire unless someone told you though as 109s are always diving you would probably put it out anyway without realising.

9./JG52_J-HAT
Mar-13-2014, 09:59
Aileron is obviously easier to see, but you can still see the tips of your elevators from within the cockpit. The give away is mostly the smoke the fire generates. You leave a thin smoke trail when you manouver.
Normal diving and zooming up is normally enough to put it out. You don't need to really dive steeply and reach high speeds. But if you see the aileron burning, just push the nose down and wait until it goes out.

If you really want to do some damage to the 109, hit the cockpit area from low 6 o'clock (where the fuel tank is located) with those DeWildes. It will burn. As a 109 pilot it's for me the worst thing you can do, as there is nothing I can do about that. The other option is killing the pilot, of course.

There are situations where you can get back home with severed cables, burned out control surfaces, rads leaking, fuel or oil tanks perfurated, but not with a fuel tank fire.