PDA

View Full Version : Finding the enemy?

Hobbes
Dec-21-2011, 15:40
Hi all,

when I fly online, I do it on your fine server. I enjoy the realism, the feeling of "war" going on and also the boring stretches... climbing, patrolling, setting up, and returning home. Often I don't run into anyone at all during a mission.

The flying certainly is interesting enough, but at times I actually want to fire my guns a bit - how the hell does one find the enemy (I usually fly the German side)? This is not about the sketchy spotting implementation bur rather about being guided into the general vincinity of an opposing flight. The AI announcements ("Wellies over Calais!") are not always to be trusted... and running into an enemy plane over England or France seems to be a stroke of luck more than anything else.

How do you guys find each other? How do you know where to go looking for a fight? Do you just patrol? Where? Do you use the AI announcements? Any hints are very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Hobbes

ATAG_Snapper
Dec-21-2011, 16:01
Hi Hobbes and welcome to the ATAG server.

The very best thing you could do is install and use a free communications utility called "Teamspeak 3". It's very easy to set and use, all that's required to use it well is a cheap headset with a microphone. I guarantee it will enhance your Cliffs of Dover experience HUGELY!

We're a friendly bunch, both Red and Blue, and you'll find that Teamspeak will help you:

1. Find the enemy. Suddenly your Blue colleagues also on Teamspeak are additional pairs of eyes willing to give you precise locations of contacts they've made, along with helpful info like type of aircraft, number of a/c, altitude/bearing/ etc.

2. Mutual protection. TS enables you to easily hook up with colleagues for mutual spotting of enemy A/C sneaking up from behind (or bouncing from above, etc), plus lend a hand in fighting them off.

3. Helpful hints and tips. Countless bits of info gets traded and discussed over TS during the quieter moments: gun loadouts, best tactics, aircraft handling, etc etc

4. Etc etc etc You get the picture! ;)

Good luck!

Snapper

Dutch
Dec-21-2011, 16:13
Hello Hobbes,

In addition to Snapper's wise recommendation, yes I use the AI announcements.

It's useful to modify your 'chat box' to include 'server' and 'voice'.

That way what the AI voice is saying also shows up as red text, such as;
'enemy group, approximately 5 aircraft, sector L12, heading 240, altitude angels two, probably stukas'
So you can alter your direction, climb rate etc to intercept.

You'll also get info on who shot whom etc.

The messages which appear on the main screen such as 'Heinkels spotted east of Calais' also give you plenty of time to get there.

Of course if you fly blue the messages will read slightly differently! :Grin:

ATAG_Deacon
Dec-21-2011, 16:16
Countless bits of info gets traded and discussed over TS during the quieter moments: gun loadouts, best tactics, aircraft handling, etc etc

etc, etc = sharing of cocktail recipes;), tales of women and woe :trigger, making plans to go on motorcycle trips :scooter ...you know the bit.

So get on TS and enjoy the experience :dthumb:

~S~

Deacon

ATAG_Snapper
Dec-21-2011, 16:36
So, Hobbes, listen to Dutch and pay NO MIND WHATSOEVER to Deacon!!!! LOL

(although I have to say that yesterday Striker and Croner were discussing the finer aspects of scripting in the Full Mission Builder and I, being a Canuck, was much too polite to interrupt to say I was fighting for my life with two 109's over Dover. Besides, I finally extricated myself and, badly shot up, did a wheels up on the beach beneath The White Cliffs -- denying the yellow-nosed marauders credit for the kill-that-wasn't! ;) )

ATAG_Deacon
Dec-21-2011, 17:02
NO MIND WHATSOEVER to Deacon!!!!

Honestly Hobbes, nobody listens to me anyway :no So sad :laugh:

So as Dutch and Snapper said, get on comms and have FUN m8!!!

ATAG_Snapper
Dec-21-2011, 22:27
Well, I gotta say, Deak, every time I've flown with you SOMETHING happens -- and we have a blast! :thumbsup:

Jimbop
Dec-22-2011, 17:10
1. Flak over friendly territory usually means enemy presence so worth investigating. Check the airfields nearest the coast if you want a quick dogfight engagement.

2. Remember that you have limited view distance so you cannot see aircraft that are too far away. Either do the MeshShowLod=1 config edit or turn of AA (http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?893-Antialaising-to-zero-and-spotting-contacts) to improve visibility. Remember that altitude counts as distance so you have to be at a similar height to spot enemy.

3. Text reports of enemy planes are reliable but especially for larger AI formations like bombers since single human players change direction much more readily. If you see a message informing you of multiple targets (usually bombers) on a particular bearing then this is worth checking out. Again, make sure you are at a similar altitude.

4. It is much easier to spot enemy when they have sky rather than ground behind them. No comment on the tactical worth of this approach though!