PDA

View Full Version : Life without force feedback?

♣_Spiritus_♣
Mar-16-2014, 12:13
Shopping around for a new stick and instead of narrowing things down I have found new things to look at. CH fighterstick was just added to my list but I have some questions.

I like force feedback, mainly because I only fly WW1/2 birds and like the idea of "feeling" the the controls move against the air rather than having no resistance.

Whenever the OR makes it out and CloD gets it working, I feel like the lack of that would be an immersion killer.

Your thoughts?

:salute:

ATAG_Lewis
Mar-16-2014, 12:28
I would get a MSSW2FFB no question....Still get them on Ebay and they last.....then get either Saitek X52 throttle or CH pro Throttle (which I use)....

Check the 'Joystick Thread' for a consensus on best sticks....

Joystick Thread (http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7000)

♣_Spiritus_♣
Mar-16-2014, 14:12
You know what, I might actually have one of those sitting up in my attic back home, maybe I will have to wait on this purchase till I get home in May. AHH!

I know I started with the sidewinder with Janes Fighters Anthology, but can't remember it having forcefeed back. I also had an X35/X36 setup too... that might be up there too.

gavagai
Mar-16-2014, 15:17
I have a CH and a MSFFB2. The CH gathers dust. 'Nuff said.

♣_Spiritus_♣
Mar-16-2014, 15:35
Interesting that so many people love that stick. Can you go into details? I want to give it a try but they are around $140 for an old, used piece of equipment. Add that too another 100 each for pedals and throttle and Im pushing 350.

brucevonlodi
Mar-16-2014, 16:04
The only problem I have had is the main trigger button will fail. BUT, I take them apart and solder in a new button and they work fine again. Otherwise, I love flying with the MSFF stick. the force feedback tells you when you are about to stall allowing you to really fly to your plane's limits.

LuseKofte
Mar-16-2014, 16:10
I had a force feedback once, never missed it. But if you cannot find one with it you might consider a buttkicker

♣_Spiritus_♣
Mar-16-2014, 16:24
Thanks, I am going to look around and keep researching. Hopefully my 940 can work well enough to get through till May.

♣_Spiritus_♣
Mar-16-2014, 19:38
I don't know how I feel about no FFB, the spring tension on the X55 might work for me, but I couldn't imagine pulling maneuvers in this game with a smooth stick like nothing was there.

ATAG_Eshark
Mar-23-2014, 06:57
Yup been there used my beloved FFB2 for years there was not an aircraft I could not get a feel for with this stick awesome.But tide and time waits for no man,so I decided to move away from FFB and went for the warthog Hotas.What a huge learning curve after experimenting with two different kind of handle extensions I settled for a 7.5 cm extension which made a superb stick even better.I have got a feel for the spit with this stick,and it's manoeuvre ring capabilitys,is now almost natural,whilst I miss the FFB effects I believe the warthog hog gives a different type of Emerson one of actually having to fly the aircraft,judging stall speeds and dealing with stalls is now more realistic IMHO
Cheers
Dom(Eshark)

snachito
Apr-09-2014, 13:31
SM, I just got my FFB stick and I will NEVER fly on my sims without one!!!! Hell as soon as I get more money, I'm getting another couple of FFB joysticks in case this one breaks down!!! Just make sure you get the right one that has a USB pretty much plug n play even on Windows 8.

I accidentally bought one that was force feedback (microsoft force feedback sidewinder precision pro) but it wasn't USB, no problem I got an adapoter, plus as far as drivers it came with a CD that installed the driver, ready, set...........WRONG!!!! It would have worked if I had Windows 98 as even my XP computer wouldn't even accept the CD or even recognize the joystick when plugged in!!! URGGGHHHHHH!!! In the end I lost 35 bucks (controller + adapter + shipping) but maybe I'll learn all about electronics and take out the FFB mech in this flight stick to make another one.................:devilish:

Get yourself a FFB stick they really aren't that expensive and most flight sims have FFB in them and even utilities that help ( http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10090 ) Good luck Spiritus_Mortem!!

1lokos
Apr-09-2014, 13:52
I accidentally bought one that was force feedback (microsoft force feedback sidewinder precision pro) but it wasn't USB, no problem I got an adapoter, plus as far as drivers it came with a CD that installed the driver, ready, set...........WRONG!!!! It would have worked if I had Windows 98 as even my XP computer wouldn't even accept the CD or even recognize the joystick when plugged in!!! URGGGHHHHHH!!! In the end I lost 35 bucks (controller + adapter + shipping) but maybe I'll learn all about electronics and take out the FFB mech in this flight stick to make another one.................:devilish:

You got a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback PRO gameport (http://a.bimg.dk/node-images/180/4/800x600-u/4180870-microsoft-sidewinder-force-feedback-pro.jpg).

And you can use it - with Force Feedback - on actual Windows version with the proper D.I.Y. adapter:

https://code.google.com/p/adapt-ffb-joy/wiki/HowToBuild

No CD drivers is need.

Sokol1

AA_Engadin
Apr-09-2014, 17:37
Most of the MS SW FFB2 troubleshooting comes to soldering getting loose after the intensive kind of use we give to it. I have two of them and both have had a button or two malfunctioning along its operative life so far. Opened my brave joy, found the button SMD, a bit of weld dressing and that was it: working as new :thumbsup:.

The MS SW FFB2 is a nice piece of hardware if not the best, and will only ask for a bit care from time to time to allow it to make you a happy sim pilot.

AA_Engadin