PDA

View Full Version : Landings

hnbdgr
Mar-16-2014, 19:17
Hi all,

Does anyone else find landing in the 109 unbelievably difficult....? What's up with the tail section, is it made of cardboard? I split it in half on more then half my landings. And the crosswind landing... landed twice in one piece out of 10 attempts.

Comparably landings in CloD are super easy. Or am I doing something wrong? this guy seems to have it figured out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19o0bGxPij4

darkside3/4
Mar-16-2014, 19:28
One of the reasons my time on BOS has been waning. I crash on crosswind landings many times. I've flown some pretty beat up aircraft in real life, in much harder landings and they didn't fall apart. The flight model is good but definitely not there, too ROFish which has me concerned. I've landed a single winged Spit which was easier than the x-wind landing in BOS.

LuseKofte
Mar-17-2014, 07:16
CLOD does not have crosswind applied on their servers, Bliss made a mission for all to try, pretty hard to do. The 109 had a lot of Takeoff accident and landing accidents. In Norway alone the loss of airplane for accidents like this where higher than combat losses. Many pilots died or got seriously wounded also.
The designer refused to fix this feature because it meant to move the undercarriage to the wings making them thicker and the feature to remove the wings while the plane stood on its feet would vanished.
I kind of like this tricky feature in BOS, I do not know but it might be the one thing that is more realistic in BOS compared to Clod. In general I think hitting ground targets are easier in CLOD but Air to Air might be a thad easter in BOS.

hnbdgr
Mar-17-2014, 07:32
Yeah but that tail.... even on a good landing it will start bouncing and possibly break.... isn't that a bit over the top? Would the back fuselage really be that weak?

LuseKofte
Mar-17-2014, 09:54
I agree on that, The same thing about the IL 2 been hit by flak and the tail is half broken, good damage model, but there are no way the plane could fly further, witch it did. I also made perfectly crash-landings, but no matter what the wings tears off, and the violence of impact is hard no matter how nice the landing was.
Well it is 41 % finished, we can only hope it will be fixed

lion737
May-07-2014, 05:26
One of the reasons my time on BOS has been waning. I crash on crosswind landings many times. I've flown some pretty beat up aircraft in real life, in much harder landings and they didn't fall apart. The flight model is good but definitely not there, too ROFish which has me concerned. I've landed a single winged Spit which was easier than the x-wind landing in BOS.

the same guy ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19o0bGxPij4 ) showed x-wind landings as well, but i donĀ“t find the vid anymore.

But the combat approach is not bad either: http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/6242-interview-and-flight-109-fighter-ace/#entry115514

Foul Ole Ron
May-07-2014, 08:43
CloD lets you get away with heavy landings a bit more than BOS. CloD is definitely on the generous side when it comes to landings in general. I think the breaking in half in BOS from a hard landing is probably overdone but to avoid it you have to bring the 109 in more like you'd bring the P51 in in DCS. You have to be more careful with glide slope, speed over the runway threshold and judging the final flare before touchdown. Flare too high and you'll drop heavily and break the plane.

Hood
May-07-2014, 10:10
I've landed a single winged Spit which was easier than the x-wind landing in BOS.

CloD is a bit bizarre in the respect of allowing aircraft with significant parts of wing missing to fly.

That said, the cross wind landing in BoS needs a fine touch but once it's nailed it's not so bad. I tend to over-over-correct on the approach curve then hold it with cross-controls until the instant before the wheels touch. It was a lot worse before the controls were dampened down. Practice really makes perfect.

Hood

ElGringo
May-07-2014, 10:33
CLOD does not have crosswind applied on their servers, Bliss made a mission for all to try, pretty hard to do. The 109 had a lot of Takeoff accident and landing accidents. In Norway alone the loss of airplane for accidents like this where higher than combat losses. Many pilots died or got seriously wounded also.
The designer refused to fix this feature because it meant to move the undercarriage to the wings making them thicker and the feature to remove the wings while the plane stood on its feet would vanished.
I kind of like this tricky feature in BOS, I do not know but it might be the one thing that is more realistic in BOS compared to Clod. In general I think hitting ground targets are easier in CLOD but Air to Air might be a thad easter in BOS.

Did you play on ATAG lately? There is wind in all missions now.
I didn' t have too much trouble with landing the 109 in BoS. It' s slighly more difficult, but with the right approach, you can put it down smoothly. But it's true that the BoS 109 breaks easier.

hnbdgr
May-07-2014, 11:49
Did you play on ATAG lately? There is wind in all missions now.
I didn' t have too much trouble with landing the 109 in BoS. It' s slighly more difficult, but with the right approach, you can put it down smoothly. But it's true that the BoS 109 breaks easier.

I think most missions on ATAG have 2m/s. the BOS crosswind mission had stronger wind then that blowing.

darkside3/4
May-07-2014, 12:57
BOS x-wind landings have been adjusted for sure since my last post...which is a good thing, an unrealistic damage model on landing + no trim made it unusable, not sure if the aircraft have been made more sturdier though.

LuseKofte
May-07-2014, 13:05
Thx for the info ElGringo, is this affecting level bombing as well? Because after the latest patch my bombs fall short at high altitude. I flown so little lately that I can't say for sure, but I had to correct this.

Another thing by this game is the Physics, personally I like it, but my control is a expensive yoke full length and ideal for BOS and a bit slow on CLOD . The air somehow feels thicker in BOS the crash-landing is harder no matter how nice and tender you put it down.
I reacted a lot of times on how easy you crash-land in CLOD if you avoid stalling it, so in my point of view this should be somewhere in the middle.