PDA

View Full Version : Best settings for Spits and 109's throttle and prop pitch

Mrmaverick
Mar-19-2014, 07:45
Is there somewhere here that has suggested prop and throttle settings (in percent i.e Throt 100% Pitch 80% ) for all the aircraft and in particular with the new 4.3 patch.
Settings for takeoff , climb, level speed( cruise and high speeds) max diving speed, combat maneuvering.

http://www.spitfireperformance.com/spit1vrs109e.html

Looking at the above site the M1 spit should get upto 355 to 360 mph, can we get those speeds, ive only tried the M2 spit 100 oct and struggle to get over 280 mph with boost on. Is that about right?
shouldn't it get upto 312mph? as it says in the TF wiki page.
Nice patch by the way, Fires and smoke effects are great, unless they are coming from my plane.

ATAG_Snapper
Mar-19-2014, 09:42
Have a look at this thread wrt the Spitfire 1a 100 octane:

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9370

Don't forget that your altimeter is giving you information as Indicated Air Speed (IAS) for any given altitude and temperature. The data you have researched is given in True Air Speed (TAS). IAS is very close to TAS when flying on the deck at wavetop height. At the optimum altitude for the Spitfires' top air speeds the cockpit altimeters will show a reading far, far less than what the aircraft is truly going.

In this sim, there is a price for going full out, balls to the wall top speed. Try going full speed (on a track) in your family car for an extended period of time and you'll be doing more than "blowing out some carbon"...you'll soon be blowing out black smoke and hearing some alarming noises. I don't know if the actual Spitfires in the Battle of Britain actually lost their engines after precisely five minutes of running full out, but the RAF pilots knew the English Channel water was very cold. Chances of surviving an enforced dunking fell between slim to none. This was uppermost on their minds if they decided to "pull the tit/push through the gate" in order to close the gap on some retreating bombers. OTOH, if tracers are flashing past their canopies, then obviously you'll place your faith in Rolls Royce's famed excellence in order to save your skin and go to full 12 lbs boost. Likewise, if a momentary burst of power means acquiring a firing solution on a fast 109, you'll do it. But to save a minute or two on a fast cruise across the water? Not likely!

Keep the above in mind as you consider the designed limitations of the Merlin engine in this sim. As sim pilots in the comfort of our warm homes with a cold beer at our sides, we'll tend to think twice about going full bore in our beloved Spitties. Yes, the power is there. But like the real life BoB pilots, we'll think hard about using it unless absolutely necessary!

Great work by Team Fusion Leader Buzzsaw! :salute:

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Mar-19-2014, 09:51
Looking at the above site the M1 spit should get upto 355 to 360 mph

those are TRUE air-speeds (TAS), not indicated air-speeds (IAS).

At higher altitudes the air is thinner. So even if you are going through the air-space at 350mph, there might only be enough air going into the tube that tells the plane how fast you are going for it to read 280mph.

In order to do the calculation from indicated to True airspeed you need a calculator, and you need to know;

1. Altitude (making sure the Altimeter was calibrated correctly)
2. Outside Air temperature
3. Indicated air speed

you can then use a calculator (like this one http://www.csgnetwork.com/tasinfocalc.html ) to get your TAS.

Foul Ole Ron
Mar-19-2014, 09:58
Is there somewhere here that has suggested prop and throttle settings (in percent i.e Throt 100% Pitch 80% ) for all the aircraft and in particular with the new 4.3 patch.
Settings for takeoff , climb, level speed( cruise and high speeds) max diving speed, combat maneuvering.

http://www.spitfireperformance.com/spit1vrs109e.html

Looking at the above site the M1 spit should get upto 355 to 360 mph, can we get those speeds, ive only tried the M2 spit 100 oct and struggle to get over 280 mph with boost on. Is that about right?
shouldn't it get upto 312mph? as it says in the TF wiki page.
Nice patch by the way, Fires and smoke effects are great, unless they are coming from my plane.

The 312mph in the TF wiki is at sea level while the 355-60mph in the spit site is at altitude - in the 15-20k range.

I haven't tried to hit the full 312mph in CloD but I guess you'd want to put the RPM to 3,000 or close to it and full 12lbs boost and manage your temps so you get the 5 mins out of it before it blows.

The other settings in the TF wiki presumably still apply for the most part to the 4.3 patch.

Mrmaverick
Mar-19-2014, 22:55
Yep oky doke, they just seem a lot slower than before compared to the 109's, keeping pace with a 109 unless in a low turning fight is not healthy.

I would rather have % for throttle and prop settings as the boost gauge dosnt go up to 12, anything above 8 is a guess unless you wave your mouse over it.
is there somewhere that has the settings in % ? It makes more sense and easier for new pilots to get a handle on.
Any info of what people are using would be helpful.
Cheers.

Like this from 92. sqn.Philstyle (QJ-P) Thats great thanks

1. Make sure the engine gets the appropriate warm-up to 40 degrees oil
2. Get airborne and, once stable, set up fora fast, but cool cruising flight. (2700 rpm, radiator 100%)
3. Get level, stable and trimmed.
4. Make sure throttle is 100%
5. Now increase RPM to 3000
6. Once at 3000 RPM, press the tit and retard/increase throttle to give you the full 12lb pressure
7. trim
8. Wait until speed comes up above ~280mph (in spit) or ~250mph (in hurricane)
9. Trim
10. Start decreasing radiator to 50%
11. Trim
12. speed should now read somewhere between 305 and 310 - READ the NEEDLE, NOT the silly pop-up window. The pop up rounds down to the nearest 10mph. You can be doing 289mph and the pop-up will say 280

- IF the needle shows 305(ish) - it can be hard to see exactly given the gradations on the dial - then you are doing 310mph. You can confirm this if you have lower realism settings and are able to switch to the wonderwoman view (ctrl+F1)

OK, now you've got to 310mpg, how do you stop the radiator from blowing up?

This is where you're going to have to reduce rpm slightly. Buzzsaw recommends dropping it back to 2950.
you might even get a slight increase in speed here.
I like to run at 2900 for safety.

That should give you quite a nice period of running at 310.

I hope this helps guys.

Last edited by 92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P); Yesterday at 20:25.