PDA

View Full Version : Spawning Static planes on spawn points?

SoW Reddog
Mar-19-2014, 08:08
OK, so I've had a bit of an idea. Anyone know how to spawn Static planes on the spawn points? I don't mean placing them in FMB, clearly that's straight forward. What I mean is say I wanted to spawn 5 aircraft on the first 5 points of Manston, how would I do it - identify the spawn location etc I mean?

Salmo
Mar-19-2014, 08:50
OK, so I've had a bit of an idea. Anyone know how to spawn Static planes on the spawn points? I don't mean placing them in FMB, clearly that's straight forward. What I mean is say I wanted to spawn 5 aircraft on the first 5 points of Manston, how would I do it - identify the spawn location etc I mean?

Pseudocode:

1. OnPlaceEnter >
2. If less than 5 'airport' values in dictionary(point3d, airport) then >
3. Add Pos3d to Dictionary(point3d, airport) >
4. Spawn static aircraft at point3d.

SoW Reddog
Mar-19-2014, 09:49
Ah OK. So basically build up a static reference of all points across an airfield by using player spawning in to capture it. Hmm. Not quite what I'd hoped for. I was expecting to be able to access them via a collection. Don't have the libraries here at work so will have to look at it when I get home, but I'd have thought that collection must exist otherwise spawning in wouldn't work!

Will have to experiment. Cheers Salmo

No601_Swallow
Mar-19-2014, 19:50
If you had access to the "baked in" default grey airdrome "trees" on the map, it'd - I'm sure - be easy to scan the text that presumably the game uses to place the airdrome points and spawn locations and take the coordinates straight from the text. But I haven't got a clue how you'd get in under the game's bonnet to do that. So: no help at all. Sorry.

No601_Swallow
Mar-20-2014, 04:55
At the risk of being a little simplistic, you can of course just place a spawn point on the airfield, save as a DF, run it and just spawn in with no fuel repeatedly.

And just to prove you learn something every day, it seems at Manston, the locations that are used start to the left of the western end of the runway and then work their way more or less clockwise around the peripheral taxiway. But here's the thing. Unlike our custom airfields, where you spawn in on the lowest numbered available spawn location, at Manston anyway, using the a little bit random-seeming spawn locations - you spawn in on the highest numbered location. Why? CloD! At Manston, that's airdrome point 63, followed by 62, then 59, 57, 55, etc, etc.

I'd forgotten how slipshod the default locations can be. Some are in hangars, some are behind hangars, some are facing the taxiway, some are at various angles to the taxiway... Quite often, the map seems to me to be the opposite of a labour of love. Maybe that's how Luthier punished team members: "Right, Yuri, you'll be placing houses, trees and airdrome points for the next three days!" "No, please, Ilya, please: not the map, not the maaaaaaaap...."

SoW Reddog
Mar-20-2014, 05:45
Lol.

Don't worry about it Swallow. I may have a job for you shortly. By the way, you've been "volunteered" to join the Storm of War project team. :)