PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Aliiasing in 4.3

ATAG_Lewis
Mar-21-2014, 01:25
How do I get AA working in 4,3?

Installed the patch straight over my game although I had SMAA and SweetFX and some 'Mr.Haandi' AA in there too...Everything worked fine (and loving the new eyecandy with the patch by the way) but I didn't have AA working which I kinda expected with all the previous stuff I had in there....So last night I decided to get rid of all the AA files I had put in there originally in the games folder...then did a 'Check integrity' check in steam....then installed all the patches again....but had the same problem..No AA....So today I bit the bullet...Took out the IL2 games folder and the 1C Softclub folder...then 'uninstalled' the game in steam, then downloaded it again....Only took about an hour which was good....So set it all up and still no AA....There is no difference between AA off and any of the on settings through to 8....

This was one of the main things I was looking forward to in this patch...frustrating to listen to folks tell me how good it looks now...:(

Am I missing something?....Is there something in the files I need to change?...Help folks..~S~

...lew...

ATAG_Lolsav
Mar-21-2014, 01:43
lol i just made a post about this, but its for ATI card m8

Anyway make sure your ingame settings of AA is diffrent from "off" and disable the graphic card driver antialiasing settings there, make it application controlled.

jaydee
Mar-21-2014, 02:43
Hi Lewis,Have you changed your NV CP Antialiasing Mode/Antialiasing setting to "application Controled" ? I changed mine from Override since the patch!..~S~

ATAG_Lewis
Mar-21-2014, 11:48
Yes..I have done all that in my Nvidia settings.... but I still don't have any anti-aliasing difference ingame from 'Off' through to '2 , 4 , 8'.....They all look the same to me

ATAG_Colander
Mar-21-2014, 12:01
ermmm..
did you clear the cache? :)

14.JG/5_Capt.Stubing
Mar-21-2014, 12:25
All of the above... I don't have AA either... Nvidia using the latest drivers. I reinstalled everything from scratch and deleted everything associated with the game. Made sure Steam wasn't updating anything either. Bottom line I think there is something going on with Nvidia.

♣_Spiritus_♣
Mar-21-2014, 12:29
Hey Lewis, I have messed with things a lot in this area since I was looking forward to it the most, here is what I did.

In game I have at 8, I have Lolsav's sweetFX settings for the SMAA and slightly tweaked them and I left my Nvidia panel how it was before, which I believe is on override.

I played with it all for a few hours with just in game on, everything else off, I did in game on with sweet FX on and Nvidia off, so on. I honestly did not notice much different with all the settings I had except that with the above settings (8/LolsavsweetFX/Nvidia) that the AA is sharpest and doesn't "pop" in and out as much with the different zoom lengths.

Maybe I am doing something wrong as well since shadows seem to get fuzzy at more zoomed out focal lengths, but zoom wise, I'd say its very crisp from about 100% zoomed in to 15%.... meaning that last 15% is zoomed out the most is where things get a bit fuzzy.

ATAG_Lewis
Mar-21-2014, 13:10
@Col...yeah..cache cleared...

@Spirit....I'll try Lols settings when I get time....although they not for Nvidia are they?..and I have Nvidia

ATAG_Colander
Mar-21-2014, 13:23
Lew,

Try removing your "conf.ini". Perhaps there's something wrong in it.

♣_Spiritus_♣
Mar-21-2014, 14:16
I think I'll give that a shot as well Colander, just to do it since I have tweaked it before.

Anyone know of a place to find what max amounts you can enter in your conf.ini to get better graphics?

Lewis, not sure what they are for, I tweaked them a bit.

Robusti
Mar-21-2014, 20:47
Me too. I cleared the cache and new conf files. Nothing but app control in nVidia........No AA at all.

Mysticpuma
Mar-21-2014, 20:49
Okay can someone who has AA working post a screenshot before and after. That way it gives us a baseline of what we should be seeing?

So everything off in the Nvidia/Ati control panel, only in-game AA on or off for the screenshot. Cheers

ATAG_Lewis
Mar-21-2014, 23:27
Hmm.....I did a full download and re-install of the game....then updated all the patches to 4.3.....I put none of my setup files into the new install at all so it was completely new.....and still no AA....

Then I took out the conf.ini...and cache....and same result..No AA...I always check 'OFF' and then set it to 2..4..and 8 just to see if there's a difference and there's none

Okay can someone who has AA working post a screenshot before and after. That way it gives us a baseline of what we should be seeing?

Thats a good idea...I'd really like to see what the fuss is about....and the videos all look like they have AA don't they so they're no good....

Its not a biggy for me just frustrating that other folks say its good and its one of the things in 4.3 I was looking forward to....and its always annoying if you can't find out why or how to fix a problem...even if its just a small thing like this...

Thanks for the help.....~S~

joker68
Mar-22-2014, 10:43
Hint Sometimes, other programs outside the game can mess with the AA. For instance, if you have some kind of overlay (i.e., afterburner, etc) it can mislead the graphics driver to apply wrong AA profile, ignoring/messing the game's AA. I had a case once where the trackir app was "hijacking" the nvidia AA. Not saying this is the case, but on my end the AA is working fine without any adjustments (win8, x64, nvidia gtx660 latest drivers). Just installed the game, never changed any .ini or .cfg file, but I have some tweaks using nvidia inspector (none related to AA, which is "app defined").

One thing that I noticed was that the "quantity" of AA applied seems to be the same, no matter the settings, 2, 4 or 8. Also, there's no difference in fps between them, so I believe that there is only one AA level coded in game, provided it is not "off".

When I get home I'll try to upload my settings.

ATAG_Colander
Mar-22-2014, 12:28
Without:
With:

Tvrdi
Mar-22-2014, 12:34
I have in nvidia CP AA set to "application controled" and in game is AA on 2X and working fine...

ATAG_Lewis
Mar-22-2014, 12:42
@Joker....I'll try that...start game without TrackIR and see what happens...

@Col..Thanks for those pics Col...

Out most of day today..will check these tonight...

Thanks again folks...~S~

Mysticpuma
Mar-22-2014, 13:47
Just put together some further examples, hope they help ;)

My Nvidia control panel settings:

My in-game video settings:

Examples before and after Team Fusion AA in-game setting changed to Off or 1. Off is Disabled, 1 is Enabled ( I should point out ANY setting except for 'Off' enables FXAA, so my Video settings are at 8, but effectively that just = 'On'). Examples here:

AA set to Off:

AA set to 1 (Enabled):

AA Set to Off:

AA set to 1 (Enabled):

Cheers, MP

ATAG_EvangelusE
Mar-22-2014, 14:40
Thanks MP for sharing your CP settings - my Nvidea CP shows Ambient Occlussion as not being supported for CloD. I don't get that since you seem to have it enabled?

Mysticpuma
Mar-22-2014, 14:42
Makes no difference if it's on or off. I just leave it like this as it's my generic setting for all games ;)

TWC_SLAG
Mar-22-2014, 14:44
How do I turn off Sweet FX?

Thanks,

badfinger

♣_Spiritus_♣
Mar-22-2014, 14:50
Here are my settings and some photos of the shadow jaggies gone at various zoom lengths. The Nvidia pics grabbed both my monitors so its small, have to click on the and zoom to read.

@badfinger- in the settings, just move everything at the top to 0 rather than 1

Robusti
Mar-22-2014, 17:23
I have tried everything and cannot get TF 4.3 AA working. Nor can I get nVidia AA working. The wires are still jagged and the landscape shimmers. Even at 2560x1600 res.

ATAG_Colander
Mar-22-2014, 17:28
I have tried everything and cannot get TF 4.3 AA working. Nor can I get nVidia AA working. The wires are still jagged and the landscape shimmers. Even at 2560x1600 res.

I think you are expecting miracles from the AA :)

Look at the cockpit frames and compare the jaggies. If they are smooth, your AA is indeed working fine.
The wires and the landscape shimmer are another story.

No.54 Ghost (KL-G)
Mar-22-2014, 17:51

Look at the cockpit frames and compare the jaggies. If they are smooth, your AA is indeed working fine.

is there a way to fix the landscape shimmer? i mean is there something TF can do about it?

Mysticpuma
Mar-22-2014, 20:11
I think the problem with the shimmer is that those of us with Nvidia don't see it? I don't actually know what 'the shimmer' looks like?

ATAG_Lewis
Mar-22-2014, 20:13
I just tried it with and without ingame AA and I see a difference now....I am not sure how I achieved this....I have tweaked so many changes in Nvidia control panel...Updated Graphics Driver.......but...There is a difference and is slight....I am not 100% sure that it wasn't there before....I may well have missed it because of what folks were saying expected to see a bigger change..and my eyesight is not the best....It seems very similar to the subtle change I had with the 'mr.haandi' AA thing....

Does it look the same as yours?

Ingame AA Turned to 8

Ingame AA Turned OFF

PS..I have the Nvidia and I do see the shimmer

No.54 Ghost (KL-G)
Mar-22-2014, 20:36
I think the problem with the shimmer is that those of us with Nvidia don't see it? I don't actually know what 'the shimmer' looks like?

i got nvidia and the landscape shimmers a lot.
imagine you are in the dessert and how the landscape would look there...
might be the worst example ever but its the best i can come up with right now haha.:doh:
it seems you have a circle of vision around your aircraft. every thing out side that circle gets "distorted". it makes it hard or impossible to spot landmarks at times.
am i the only one having this issue?

ATAG_Colander
Mar-22-2014, 20:57
I just tried it with and without ingame AA and I see a difference now....I am not sure how I achieved this....I have tweaked so many changes in Nvidia control panel...Updated Graphics Driver.......but...There is a difference and is slight....I am not 100% sure that it wasn't there before....I may well have missed it because of what folks were saying expected to see a bigger change..and my eyesight is not the best....It seems very similar to the subtle change I had with the 'mr.haandi' AA thing....

Does it look the same as yours?

Ingame AA Turned to 8

Ingame AA Turned OFF

PS..I have the Nvidia and I do see the shimmer

Lew,

It looks like you have AA in the video card as I don't see the jaggies in the "AA off" scrennie.

ATAG_Snapper
Mar-22-2014, 21:04
i got nvidia and the landscape shimmers a lot.
imagine you are in the dessert and how the landscape would look there...
might be the worst example ever but its the best i can come up with right now haha.:doh:
it seems you have a circle of vision around your aircraft. every thing out side that circle gets "distorted". it makes it hard or impossible to spot landmarks at times.
am i the only one having this issue?

I get the same ie shimmer plus the "rendering circle".

The higher the resolution, the less terrain shimmer you get. When I tried down sampling at 2560 x 1440 (or somesuch....whatever it was that gave me the same 16:9 aspect ratio as my monitor's native resolution of 1920 x 1080) the shimmer was virtually gone. It looked beautiful, but I couldn't see distant contacts very well, the dots were just too tiny. I'll have to try it again now that contacts are a little easier to see.

RedToo
Mar-23-2014, 04:18
AA working well here. Thanks to Mystic and Spiritus for posting your Nvidia control panel settings. Very useful.
I too have the distant landscape shimmer. Always have had. In WOFF and IL2 too. Never been able to get rid of it although it is less now in Clod than it used to be.

RedToo.

ATAG_Eshark
Mar-23-2014, 05:45
Thanks for the advice Mysticpuma.I used your video settings and yes I can see the difference with the AA on then off.But you know me,I fly and pull the trigger.A Neanderthal like me would not notice this kind of thing unless told it makes me appreciate the work team fusion put in to this sim when I actually stop and think about it,very rare for me :-)
Cheers
Eshark

Stig1207
Mar-23-2014, 06:33
[QUOTE=Spiritus_Mortem;105320]Here are my settings and some photos of the shadow jaggies gone at various zoom lengths. The Nvidia pics grabbed both my monitors so its small, have to click on the and zoom to read.

Would you mind awfully posting pic#6 without the Nvidia CP open?:D

buster_dee
Mar-23-2014, 09:07
Fooling with these settings as advised has not only given me decent AA, it seems to have given me 10 more FPS and reduced micro-stutters.

I couldn't begin to understand what just happened. I think CloD likes these programmers and has decided to play along.

Yea, that's it....

Thanks all who made this work, including testers.

RedToo
Mar-23-2014, 10:17
[QUOTE=Spiritus_Mortem;105320]Here are my settings and some photos of the shadow jaggies gone at various zoom lengths. The Nvidia pics grabbed both my monitors so its small, have to click on the and zoom to read.

Would you mind awfully posting pic#6 without the Nvidia CP open?:D

Seconded! I got a bit distracted from Clod settings there.

RedToo.

Robusti
Mar-24-2014, 09:26

Indeed you are right. What is the story with this shimmer then?

I have nVidia and it is even noticeable with 2560x1600. It is very prominent lower than that resolution. It is exactly the shimmer you get when you have the wrong Neg LOD Bias setting, but it happens regardless of any of those settings. Its pretty bad at lower resolutions. I have GTX 580 SLI (SLI or no SLI makes no difference either).

HarveyKrumpet
Mar-24-2014, 10:30
I have been using Markies SweetFx 1.5 with very good results. His settings really add to the clarity and immersion and I don't notice any shimmering.. I install/uninstall with JSGME (Jonesoft Generic Mod Enabler) you can google or find it over at SubSim. Give it try.

Best
Harvey Krumpet

ATAG_EvangelusE
Mar-24-2014, 10:57
Finding it difficult to spot contacts now that I enabled AA in game video settings - what were nice black dots have become a shimmering grey and diificult to see. Am I right in that enabling AA in game also enable FXAA?

I am going to have to disable AA if that is the case.

ATAG_Lewis
Mar-24-2014, 11:11
I have been using Markies SweetFx 1.5 with very good results. His settings really add to the clarity and immersion and I don't notice any shimmering.. I install/uninstall with JSGME (Jonesoft Generic Mod Enabler) you can google or find it over at SubSim. Give it try.

Best
Harvey Krumpet

have you been using this with 4.3?....where can I get this 'Markies SweetFX'?

WindWpn
Mar-24-2014, 11:47
hello all,

Note with all the reporting for trying various settings, it may be worthwhile to baseline a mission for all to test with. The first mission of the Cliffs of Dover (modded) offline campaign is a good immediate test bed as there are two flights of german bombers approaching the field as well as hurricanes taking off while you sit in the rear waiting clearance. Simply sit on the runway and test as dots come in (bombers) and dots move out (taking off hurricanes) to help baseline results and determine best for these scenarios. I have found that nothing I have tried yet really helps remove the shimmer of the hurricanes as they take off and fly out on expanded view (no trackir in test). Best result I have seen is with ingame aa at 2 and nvidia aa off along with sweetfx.

but its not perfect....

perhaps with a baseline, is someone figures out a magic combo, we can all test with the same mission/baseline to confirm settings.

~S~
wind

ATAG_Snapper
Mar-24-2014, 11:54
hello all,

Note with all the reporting for trying various settings, it may be worthwhile to baseline a mission for all to test with. The first mission of the Cliffs of Dover (modded) offline campaign is a good immediate test bed as there are two flights of german bombers approaching the field as well as hurricanes taking off while you sit in the rear waiting clearance. Simply sit on the runway and test as dots come in (bombers) and dots move out (taking off hurricanes) to help baseline results and determine best for these scenarios. I have found that nothing I have tried yet really helps remove the shimmer of the hurricanes as they take off and fly out on expanded view (no trackir in test). Best result I have seen is with ingame aa at 2 and nvidia aa off along with sweetfx.

but its not perfect....

perhaps with a baseline, is someone figures out a magic combo, we can all test with the same mission/baseline to confirm settings.

~S~
wind

Excellent suggestion easily done by anyone! :thumbsup:

TURK_Enlem
Mar-24-2014, 12:44
have you been using this with 4.3?....where can I get this 'Markies SweetFX'?

From here: message no 16

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8499&highlight=markie+sweet

Recommended. :thumbsup:

HarveyKrumpet
Mar-24-2014, 12:57
Lewis....just tuned back in, and saw enlan got you the files. Think about JSGME...it works not only with Clod, but just about any other game I can think of.

Enjoy your input

Harvey Krumpet

ATAG_Lewis
Mar-24-2014, 14:22
Big Thanks Enlem and Harvey...~S~

Stolle
Mar-24-2014, 15:09
Does Sweetfx have to be disabled in order for the Team Fusion AA to work?

TWC_SLAG
Mar-24-2014, 15:13
Here are my settings and some photos of the shadow jaggies gone at various zoom lengths. The Nvidia pics grabbed both my monitors so its small, have to click on the and zoom to read.

@badfinger- in the settings, just move everything at the top to 0 rather than 1

Thanks, but after making all of the other changes, my screen looks so good, I'm not going to touch anything else. :)

badfinger

Scorpion
Mar-24-2014, 20:33
Spiritus_Mortem, In your post #22 you have a few screenshots which show a picture of the english channel, is the anyway place I can download a copy of this ?

♣_Spiritus_♣
Mar-24-2014, 22:04
No!

Just kidding, here it is. It even got a sticky, no big deal. :D

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8770

And for those of you wishing my Nvidia control panel was moved more to the left or right... you just get a taste. She is also my dash picture.

:devilish:

Markie
Mar-31-2014, 20:36
Hi, hope you tried my settings for TF4.3 (Sorry to come in late)- Should just be able to unzip the files into main folder of IL2COD and play. It may look darker simply because the original settings were too light to begin with. I spent ages getting it right and re-examined every few days. It changes the whole feel of the game. WWII was not in B&W, or scratchy or washed out - it was in bold colour like today so that is what guided me, the view out through my window. If you enjoy it please tell the others.

Screamadelica
Apr-01-2014, 05:50
Hi Lew,

I originally posted this in the Nvidia Thread, but felt it was worth reposting here. Hope some of this helps.

After many hours of Post Patch Nvidia Psychosis, the bad news appears to be that trying to force AA through the Nvidia Control Panel still does nothing. FXAA is still the only working option. The settings below are a starting point, but results may vary with different set ups. Graphics card used was a GTX 680 OC 2 GB. I checked these by comparing the edge of the wingtips against the sky, and using a combination of the two FXAA's gave the wings an almost perfectly smooth edge. I haven't tried the Sweet Fx settings yet. The patch added working FXAA, but not working AA unfortunately.

Nvidia Control Panel Suggested Settings:

Anisotropic Filter: Either Application Controlled or setting of your choice (helps sharpen textures without adding aliasing)
FXAA: On. I use this as well as using the Inject FXAA JSGME and have the ingame FXAA set to off. Or you can use the ingame FXAA by setting to any value other than 0 if you don't want to use the JSGME or SweetFx settings.
Gamma Correction: Off. This only applies to Open GL.
Anti Aliasing Mode: Off
Anti Aliasing Setting: None
Anti Aliasing Transparency: Multisample or Supersample. Nothing seems to make those radar towers look any better so multisample gives the best performance balance.
CUDA GPUs: Use global (All)
Max. Pre-rendered Frames: Default value is 3. See first link below.
Multi Display/ Mixed GPU: Set to single performance mode if you have only one monitor.
Power Management Mode: Prefer Maximum Performance
Texture Filter - Anisotropic Sample Optimisation: Off (for less shimmer)
Texture Filter - Negative LOD Bias: Clamp (reduces aliasing when scene is in motion, especially when using Track IR)
Texture Filter - Quality: Set to Quality for a balanced setting or High Quality if you have a good graphics card.
Texture Filter - Trilinear Optimisation: Off (gives best image quality with Direct X)
Threaded Optimisation: Auto or On.
Triple Buffering: Off (seems to reduce stuttering)
V Sync: On ( works better than using the ingame V Sync)

Try a custom screen resolution, such as 2880 X 1620. This helps reduce various graphics issues and makes the game look a lot better, but there is a substantial loss of frame rates, can be as high as a 25 fps reduction.

There is a lot of great information to help in using the Nvidia Control panel in the following link ( originally posted by Spiritus-Mortem, thanks for this awesome find. )

http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_6.html

Also a link regarding Negative LOD Bias:

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/t180142.html

I still get the shimmer and the distortion at the edge of the rendering circle. Also seems to affect the silhouette of aircraft when viewed from dead six at a distance. This is the main issue with the graphics at the moment for me, everything else looks so good and it's really frustrating not being able to smooth out that one area, so close to being perfect!

Hope these settings help, please let me know if any information is incorrect.

Cheers, Scream :salute:

ramsesmed
Nov-04-2014, 19:05
heloo guys.... i have a problem.. my graphics was terrible.. so i saw one post i gues it was here, some one teach like a tutorial how to increase the resolution of my PC in windows... the resolution max here was 1920 x 1080, but his tutorial teach how to leave thios 2540 x 1200 or some thing like that... i format my pc and loose this link... now i am angry to find it again... some one can help me?? thats was the only way to leave my game graphics beutifull and no mor problems with AA. NEED HELP... iff send to my email i will be thanks.. ramsesmed@yahoo.com