PDA

View Full Version : Graphics problem (Dotted rectangle)

AussieM8
Mar-21-2014, 21:08
Hi all,

Was hoping someone could help me with this problem.

have no idea what is causing this problem. I can only see this on the sea and can be in front or to the side, generally I see it either side of planes.
I am up to date 4.3

This graphics error is not happening in any other Sim I have. eg: DCS, iL2 1946 etc

help would be appreciated

Also, thank you TF for the updates, really brought this sim back to life.

System Specs

Windows 7 x64, i7-3770k OC 4.4GHz with Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler ,ASRock Z68 Fatal1ty Pro Gen 3
G.Skill Ripjaws 16gig DDR3,, Gigabyte HD7970 GHz Egition 3GB, HOTAS

ATAG_Colander
Mar-21-2014, 21:09
I think that's an ATI issue.

ATAG_Lolsav
Mar-21-2014, 21:36
ATI owner here and it always been like that, since vanilla game. Developers blamed ATI, ATI blamed developers. If ATI doesnt fix it with a driver there is no hope for us.

AussieM8
Mar-21-2014, 21:52
ATI owner here and it always been like that, since vanilla game. Developers blamed ATI, ATI blamed developers. If ATI doesnt fix it with a driver there is no hope for us.

Thank you gents for the replys, I edited my post seeing you mention it's been an error since vanilla release.

Sounds like ATI users are stuck with it. (typical) I remember when I had a 6950 card and kept getting the horrible flashing white dots in DCS. http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=77371 took PeterP forum member to create a fix.

Numerous emails to ATI failed to fix.

archermav
Apr-20-2014, 07:33
Hi all, I accepted this was an ATI issue, so swapped out my 6950 for a GTX 770. However, now instead of a dotted white line, I get black single lines. Kind of like piers reaching out to sea.

Any ideas?

Thanks

archermav
Apr-20-2014, 07:47
Just to add, reading these forums suggests switching to lane detail medium, so I shall try that. A small other 'problem' is that with texture quality on original I get an odd corrugated cardboard effect on the wings of British Aircraft. I've tried to switch to high instead, but every time I do so in the options page I get a launcher exe problem and the game crashes. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Spinner
Apr-20-2014, 10:50
I have an ATI 7970 and have had this effect since day one with it. It is a rather minor glitch so it hadn't bothered me that much but while reading this thread Arch8 mentioned a thread on another forum regarding DCS. I checked that out and the people there were saying that the 11.6 Catalyst driver solved the problem for them.
I downloaded the 11.6 driver for 64 bit systems (I use Win 8.1) and installed.
No more problem.
Thanks for bringing this up. I hope my experience helps.
Spinner

ATAG_Lewis
Apr-20-2014, 13:20
AND.....

Welcome to the community and forums AussieM8....~S~

Checkout the 'Beginners Guide'...for info and tips...It should save you a heap of time in getting up to scratch.....and its a really fun learning curve anyway..

Beginners Guide Link Here (http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5058&p=52711)

Also try youtube for startup procedures on all the aircraft...

Any questions then you've come to the right place....

Good to have you with us buddy...and remember its all about the Fun!!!

...lew...

ATAG_Lewis
Apr-20-2014, 13:21
AND....

Welcome to the community and forums archermav....~S~

Checkout the 'Beginners Guide'...for info and tips...It should save you a heap of time in getting up to scratch.....and its a really fun learning curve anyway..

Beginners Guide Link Here (http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5058&p=52711)

...lew...

ATAG_Lewis
Apr-20-2014, 13:22
AND finally.......

Welcome to the community and forums Spinner....~S~

...lew...

Wow....too much work for one thread...I need to go lie down...phew!

fly4ever
Apr-26-2014, 05:21
Hi gents,

AMD just released (25/04/2014) a new driver version, V14-4. I currently use Sapphire's latest version V13.12c.On Monday morning when I get back where my gaming rig lives, I'll install the new driver package and keep my fingers crossed for glithces like these to disappear and never come back. However, I would be far more concerned if other issues known to AMD/ATI based GPU users like distant shimmering,irritating distant flickering,shadow flickering and dotted lines instead of solid ones also disappear as all of these combined spoil the game for me quite a lot.I would be more than happy if even some of these issues will be sorted out installing the new drivers even though I already started to get used to live with them.

Cheers

Nick

Combat Wombat
Apr-26-2014, 07:26
Give the new ATI 14.4 drivers a go,It made a marked difference with my card and gaming in general DCS for example improved my in game graphics to a point where its enjoyable to fly now also went from an average of 20fps to 55 fps also moved up a notch in my settings to High. Will fiddle with COD in the morning.

Incog
Apr-26-2014, 08:16
Give the new ATI 14.4 drivers a go,It made a marked difference with my card and gaming in general DCS for example improved my in game graphics to a point where its enjoyable to fly now also went from an average of 20fps to 55 fps also moved up a notch in my settings to High. Will fiddle with COD in the morning.

What graphics card are you sporting?

I find it hard to believe that you get more than 100% increase in performance on higher settings. Something is fishy here but if it's working now then all you have to do now is enjoy!

Combat Wombat
Apr-26-2014, 18:05
what graphics card are you sporting?

I find it hard to believe that you get more than 100% increase in performance on higher settings. Something is fishy here but if it's working now then all you have to do now is enjoy!
ati 7990 and in the process of ordering this R9 295X2

Incog
Apr-27-2014, 07:41
oh LOL

my god what resolution are you playing at? stronk hardware right there!

well, i guess amd just had bad drivers before then? i'm surprised at 100%+ increase though. at least it's somewhat fixed.

fly4ever
Apr-28-2014, 03:13
Sapphire R9-280X Toxic 3Gb here, clocked @ 1150 for GPU clock and 1600 for its memory.
I didn't install the latest drivers yet as I just got back at my gaming rig but as far as I can see from what Combat Wombat is saying I expect quite remarkable results upon installing the new drivers!

I'll let you know later in the evening today how it goes.

Cheers
Nick

Combat Wombat
Apr-28-2014, 05:09
oh LOL

my god what resolution are you playing at? stronk hardware right there!

well, i guess amd just had bad drivers before then? i'm surprised at 100%+ increase though. at least it's somewhat fixed.

i'm running x3 27'' dells u2713hm ,naive is 2560x1440 for desktop but in game I run 1920x1080 due to plane spotting although running at native in game is beautiful ) I'm yet to find a game/sim I can't run on high but i'm sure there is being I only fly and no shooter games. just waiting for the rift to arrive in june/july

fly4ever
Apr-28-2014, 09:22
Great news for AMD/ATI based GPU users!

Here are the results after installing the latest 14-4 Catalyst drivers:

No more shimmering on water bodies (rivers & lakes). This issue fixed once and for all.
Flickering shadows issue completely gone now.
Land distant views are now substantially more "physical" and realistic without flickering and distortions.
Dotted rectangles and dashed lines over the sea reduced even more in a way they are visible only in very large (larger than ever) zoom views.
FPS are also improved quite substantially.I get an avg of 60-62 during combats with considerably large traffic all around,with all in game settings maxed out at the game's native res. 1920x1080p.
Only thing remained the same are the way a supposed straight horizontal or semi horizontal line (but in any case not a vertical one) appear as a dashed one.This is clearly visible when you see the aircraft's radio masts which rather appearing as a solid straight line is appeared to be a dashed one.Same happens with literally all hypothetically straight horizontal lines in the game however its more clearly visible in individual ones in front of a background or in other words the ones that aren't part of something else like a construction or an object.But I can live with that!

Seems AMD do us the favor and decided to offer at last the upgraded drivers we were all awaiting for.
Apart and irrelevantly from this,Gigabyte now also offers a new revised BIOS version (F8) for a number of its mobo's.Among several fixes with the new BIOS, the RAM maximum clock frequencies (2400MHz for me) are now attainable and stable giving you better results than ever before.Till now I got better results with my RAM at 2200MHz than at 2400.Now its like it supposed to be right from the start.

Cheers
Nick

LBR=H.Ostermann
Apr-28-2014, 10:39
Great news for AMD/ATI based GPU users!

Here are the results after installing the latest 14-4 Catalyst drivers:

No more shimmering on water bodies (rivers & lakes). This issue fixed once and for all.
Flickering shadows issue completely gone now.
Land distant views are now substantially more "physical" and realistic without flickering and distortions.
Dotted rectangles and dashed lines over the sea reduced even more in a way they are visible only in very large (larger than ever) zoom views.
FPS are also improved quite substantially.I get an avg of 60-62 during combats with considerably large traffic all around,with all in game settings maxed out at the game's native res. 1920x1080p.
Only thing remained the same are the way a supposed straight horizontal or semi horizontal line (but in any case not a vertical one) appear as a dashed one.This is clearly visible when you see the aircraft's radio masts which rather appearing as a solid straight line is appeared to be a dashed one.Same happens with literally all hypothetically straight horizontal lines in the game however its more clearly visible in individual ones in front of a background or in other words the ones that aren't part of something else like a construction or an object.But I can live with that!

Nick

Confirmed here, MSI R9 270X, great driver. Now only the white lines must go away.

ATAG_Lolsav
Apr-28-2014, 12:26
Have to try those then. No other issues? Only good stuff?

fly4ever
Apr-29-2014, 02:09
Have to try those then. No other issues? Only good stuff?

Good stuff only LolSav without any other new issue whatsoever :thumbsup:
Try them out and tell us how it worked for you!

Cheers
Nick

ATAG_Lolsav
Apr-29-2014, 20:27
Just installed and doing my first run on the server. FPS seems as before but the shimmering is gone? Fingers crossed! :thumbsup:

Continu0
Apr-30-2014, 02:54
Any other feedback? No more shimmering? really?

fly4ever
Apr-30-2014, 04:55
Tested almost a hundred times over rivers & lakes and YES it's confirmed,the water shimmering is completely gone no matter time of day and/or amount of light,viewing angle and inside/outside viewing and zooming amount as well!!!
Now literally all water bodies have the same so beauuuuuuutiful light reflection effect we used to see only on the sea.

As for the FPS there are indeed better now but you must deactivate VSYNC in game in order to notice it.However,there is a not so good (and often quite irritating) effect from the spinning prop when VSYNC is deactivated so it's better to keep it activated in spite of the considerably lower FPS given the fact that you'll be getting at least an avg of 35-40 fps at any time in heavy environments.I'm getting around an avg of 80-90 (max 148/min 65) with everything maxed out in game VSYNC off and an avg of 45 (max 64/min 28) with the same setting and VSYNC on.It finally seems that with VSYNC on the FPS are limited by the screen's 60Hz or something like that because the 2 values are identical.

Our prayers were heard at last from the guys at AMD and they made it finally happen!!! :thumbsup:

Cheers
Nick

ATAG_Lolsav
May-01-2014, 12:37
I need more time with these drivers before i get a conclusion.

The good:

The shimmering is definetly improved or gone. It depends on the FOV i believe.

The uncertain/bad:

Im not sure about fps improvement. In fact, else than any other change on my end or unproper install of drivers, there could be a slight/minor decrease over populated areas. But nothing drastic or dramatic. Where it was 30 fps over demanding areas it could had drop to 28 fps (its a rough example).