PDA

View Full Version : Another silly question: "buildings" vs "static"

No601_Swallow
Mar-25-2014, 08:38
Another tiresome question, so apologies in advance.

I'm wondering about how the game treats these two categories of object, "static" objects and "buildings".

In particular, I did a mission a few months ago where various "scenery" bibs and bobs respawned as they were destroyed (it was for Stuka practice). I did this by putting the targets in "submissions" that relaunched every time there was some damage to an object. All was OK, except the "landmarks" section (what's life for if you can't drop the odd 50 kg baby on the Palace of Westminster?). They never appeared, and I couldn't work out why. Could it be that the game doesn't load "buildings" the same way (i.e. they have to somehow be "preloaded" at the start of a mission...)?

Is this true? I gather that "buildings" don't have a damage model or "Static Actor" tab. Are there any other differences, I wonder? And why did the designers do this?

SoW Reddog
Mar-25-2014, 09:21
Swallow, Buildings don't load via sub missions. I thought that I'd explained that before when talking about the scenery templates?

No601_Swallow
Mar-25-2014, 11:15
Yes, Reddog. I had that in mind, but somehow I hadn't put your script together with my failed mission experience. When I put it like that... well, thank gawd it's only pixels and bandwidth I waste! :recon: Epic d'oh!

(But I still want to know why! Maybe buildings were originally meant to be permanent on a map - but then that doesn't work because several objects on the map have DMs... )

SoW Reddog
Mar-25-2014, 12:07
It doesn't work because it doesn't work. I have no idea. We (TF) are hoping to move all building objects into a single menu in the FMB, hopefully within the Static subsection, which fingers crossed means that they'll essentially become statics. This needs testing and some prelim work.

At this stage, ie until TF5.0, we're stuffed.

No601_Swallow
Mar-26-2014, 04:59
I have no idea. We (TF) are hoping to move all building objects into a single menu in the FMB, hopefully within the Static subsection, which fingers crossed means that they'll essentially become statics. This needs testing and some prelim work.

Excellent news for those of us who know that the real game is in fact the FMB. All that flying and shooting nonsense is just a distraction! :D