PDA

View Full Version : Maybe this is the reason for the "white mist" or "comet like" effect?

Winston
Mar-25-2014, 11:27
While testing my He-115 mission, I watched an He-115 get hit by flak and got one of his floats knocked off. The damaged plane skimmed the water and briefly touched it. The "white mist" instantly appeared and remained on his plane for several minutes giving him the appearance of a comet flying by.

Could briefly touching the water be the cause of this effect?

Roblex
Mar-25-2014, 14:49
I doubt it. Very few aircraft touch the water then climb up again. I have seen it on AI bombers and I am pretty sure that one they touch they stay down :-)

Winston
Mar-25-2014, 16:26
I've seen it twice already yesterday while testing these blasted swaggering He-115's. One touched the pontoon strut to the water on one side after the pontoon was shot off, instant white mist. Another dipped his tail for a millisecond in a wild maneuver, looked like Halley's comet!

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Mar-25-2014, 17:18
As mentioned, if you are building missions with multiple He-115's in formation, then you are creating an ahistorical situation.

Same applies to Sunderlands, Walruses, FW-200's, etc. These aircraft 90% of the time operated solo.

By the way, one of our guys has probably found the cure for the He-115's 'Swagger' behaviour and it will be included in the fix for PK's. :salute:

Wulf
Mar-25-2014, 18:32
I've seen it twice already yesterday while testing these blasted swaggering He-115's. One touched the pontoon strut to the water on one side after the pontoon was shot off, instant white mist. Another dipped his tail for a millisecond in a wild maneuver, looked like Halley's comet!

Have to agree with Roblex. I see the 'sparkler'/'comet' thing fairly regularly (although from memory I think it was a reasonably rare occurrence at one stage) but never in relation to water impacts. I don't doubt that it can occur in such circumstances, it's just that its not been my experience. From what I've seen it can happen at low or high alt. I have no idea why it happens. Weird.

Kling
Mar-25-2014, 19:36
The times I have seen this it is always high angle of attack and low speed...
Its a real mystery what is triggering it!

Mattias
Mar-25-2014, 19:54
:salute:

I never saw this offline/in single player but only online and thought it was caused by a netcode glitch... I learn something new every day :thumbsup:

Cheers/m

vranac
Mar-25-2014, 20:11
That bug is rare and probably because of that very hard to squeeze. I assume that is connected with vertices from the wings in a tight turn.
Sometimes it changes in warp white stream and loss of fps because of that.

Mattias, you can see it here in vanilla. Very rare but it's still here in 4.3.

Edit: Sorry, look at 4:43

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-J9ZN_xfMk

Winston
Mar-25-2014, 22:35
Ouch guys. Irregardless of whether I was making a historical or a non historical mission by using multiple He-115's, I did observe this happening twice during testing so I though it might be water or moisture related. I was only asking if this could be the cause of a major bug in the game from the beginning. If you want to dismiss my observations so quickly, or shoot the messenger, just let me know and I'll keep them to myself from now on. :D

Cheers all.

1lokos
Mar-25-2014, 22:55
Dont set landings on water for He-115... :)

Sokol1

Ohms
Mar-25-2014, 23:58
Ouch guys. Irregardless of weather I was making a historical or a non historical mission by using multiple He-115's, I did observe this happening twice during testing so I though it might be water or moisture related. I was only asking if this could be the cause of a major bug in the game from the beginning. If you want to dismiss my observations so quickly, or shoot the messengers, just let me know and I'll keep them to myself from now on. :D

Cheers all.

Not sure I see them dismissing your observations.

Roblex
Mar-26-2014, 03:12
I have seen AI bombers cruising at 15000ft with the 'comet' effect in formation with others that don't have the effect so I don't think it has anything to do with water or extreme manoeuvers . It is just a random graphics glitch. Maybe a fuel leak graphic gone wrong? I have not seen it for several months.

Nobody is 'dismissing' your observations; you asked if it could be caused by touching the water and we replied that it happens when you don't touch the water. What else could we say apart from ignoring your post entirely?

bolox
Mar-26-2014, 06:28
Winston, no one is dismissing your observations, if you notice Bussaw's comment the other part of your observation has been investigated, confirmed and fixed.
This issue we have noted (bug #496 as well as yours). We are looking into it.

As you can replicate this behaviour with your mission, could you possibly post it so we can test?

Catseye
Mar-26-2014, 15:12
Ouch guys. Irregardless of whether I was making a historical or a non historical mission by using multiple He-115's, I did observe this happening twice during testing so I though it might be water or moisture related. I was only asking if this could be the cause of a major bug in the game from the beginning. If you want to dismiss my observations so quickly, or shoot the messenger, just let me know and I'll keep them to myself from now on. :D

Cheers all.

Hi Winston,
No one is dismissing your observations.

I'm rather surprised to learn of this issue again as I thought it had been squashed.

Many of use have seen this since the first release of CLOD and there is much improvement since then.

Many, including me have seen it in the past at 20,000 ft. and as low as dogfight level would allow.

Something to be aware of was the large discussions in the vanilla version of this "fog" being an issue of some pilots in the BF109 releasing their fire retardent when being shot at. An exploit if you will. But that was found not to be the case. It was very prevalent then in dogfights down low when shots were being fired and aircraft turning hard.
Cheers,
Cats . . .

Artist
Mar-26-2014, 15:30
Hi Winston,

I already asked you in the bug #520 (http://tfbt.nuvturais.de/issues/520) to open up a new issue with this. If I'd do it, I'd be the author, not you. But maybe #496 (http://tfbt.nuvturais.de/issues/496) is the same issue? Please check and advise me what to do with the second part of 520.

Cheers,
Artist

Winston
Mar-26-2014, 16:08
Hi Winston,

I already asked you in the bug #520 (http://tfbt.nuvturais.de/issues/520) to open up a new issue with this. If I'd do it, I'd be the author, not you. But maybe #496 (http://tfbt.nuvturais.de/issues/496) is the same issue? Please check and advise me what to do with the second part of 520.

Cheers,
Artist
Thanks, Artist. But not important now as others have seen this occur also at high altitudes with no leaking fluids. I thought I had seen something important when the planes came in contact with the water but climbed out again.

Cheers all