PDA

View Full Version : DCS curious question

hnbdgr
Mar-25-2014, 18:39
Salute,

I haven't tried DCS yet but have been looking at some vids out there and it all looks pretty impressive and in-depth. I wanted to ask - given that most modern aircraft specs are still state secret - how realistic is the representation of those planes in DCS? The ww2 planes have been classified for a long time after the war and I guess that even now we don't have access to all the paperwork and documents that people would like.... so how does the information gathering work with a modern plane simulator like DCS?

many thanks!

14.JG/5_Capt.Stubing
Mar-25-2014, 19:30
I think it's important for you to understand some of the background of the DCS folks... I will keep it pretty short and it will make a lot more sense in terms of answering your question.

DCS is a new extension of a much older game that is going through a lot of transformation over the years.
It started with Flanker 2.0 which was eventually built out as a new product called LOMAC or Lock on Modern Combat which featured 6 airplanes. SU-27 SU-25 Mig29 SU-33 F-15C A10A. LOMAC was considered to be a medium depth modern combat simulation with very good FMs for its time. It wasn’t quite up to a Falcon 4 level but it was quite fun to play.

Eventually another addon was sold as Flaming Cliffs which had a couple versions and added the Advanced FM and DM model to the SU-25T. Fast forward several years and a new Sim called BlackShark KA-50 came out which featured a very in depth Sim. Since then another very in depth release came out in the form of DCS A10C which is equally on par with a Falcon 4. Funny enough the same people make a NON Civilian version of an A10C simulator that was the bases for this DCS release.

Lastly Flaming Cliffs continues to be upgraded in version 3 and will received quite a few benefits of some of the work being done on the more complex DCS titles.
So to wrap things up…. You have several different versions of the game with multiple aircraft and licensing that will be under one roof called DCS World. DCS titles will is meant more for the hardcore and Flaming Cliffs is aimed at the more casual crowd.

Foul Ole Ron
Mar-25-2014, 19:46
I haven't tried DCS yet but have been looking at some vids out there and it all looks pretty impressive and in-depth. I wanted to ask - given that most modern aircraft specs are still state secret - how realistic is the representation of those planes in DCS? The ww2 planes have been classified for a long time after the war and I guess that even now we don't have access to all the paperwork and documents that people would like.... so how does the information gathering work with a modern plane simulator like DCS?

ED won't develop the really modern planes as they know the information just isn't available - especially for the Russian ones. It seems like the most modern plane we're going to get from ED will be the F-18C but this is still way out (+1 year minimum). I would suspect it's coming as a result of a similar military contract deal to the A10-C where the USAF got the full fat version and we got the the bulk of the full fat version but with some sensitive things removed / approximated.

ATAG_Striker
Mar-25-2014, 20:39
well there the A10a A10c [ Hawk F18C/E ] theses two are 3rd party E model is in works ed there is a few mods out there alot are private :salute: any other questions feel free to ask :recon:

hnbdgr
Mar-26-2014, 04:36
Interesting to know that the A-10 is based on a simulator by ED. They are a russian company, for the US airforce to outsource a simulator to a russian company...wow! :)