PDA

View Full Version : Higher Altitude Flying

=FI=Murph
Mar-26-2014, 19:34
My understanding is that altitudes for combat during the BoB ranged up into 20,000+ ft. When I try to get that high in the Hurricane I Rotol (100oct), I experience an extreme power drop at about 16,000 ft., followed shortly thereafter by the sight of an oil-covered windscreen. What special settings for RPM/Throttle are needed to get the most out of this plane, and to at least avoid blowing up the engine? I never have overheat problems flying at lower altitudes, and I try to keep the RPMs in the 2400/2500 range with the oil temps about 85-90 degrees. Should the mixture be leaned out at this altitude? Is there a supercharger setting that I am unaware of?

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Mar-26-2014, 20:32
2700 rpm/+6 boost and 3/4 rad opening will get you unheated and with your engine cool in climbs from sea level to 30,000 ft.

In fact it can be run anywhere and anytime without heating issues.

=FI=Murph
Mar-26-2014, 23:42
Thank you. I'll give it a try.

ATAG_Snapper
Mar-26-2014, 23:53
Keep the mixture at 0% (= Auto Rich ) at all times. Keep your speed at a minimum of 160 mph at all times with the settings Buzzsaw gave you.

=FI=Murph
Mar-27-2014, 00:24
Just tested it and it works very well, notwithstanding the big drop in boost at high altitude. I noticed my oil temp stayed right at 90.

ATAG_Freya
Mar-27-2014, 00:52
Just FYI -- If you find yourself 'lonewolfing' on the ATAG server, get lots of altitude! The 109's are putty in your hands if you play it right! :devilish: to the 109's ----> :-P

=FI=Murph
Mar-27-2014, 08:43
I also did a test flight with the D 5-20 version of the HurricaneI 100oct. After I landed and parked and shut down the engine, I noticed white smoke coming from the radiator. Does this mean it was perforated? The oil temps never rose above 90 during the entire flight.

ATAG_EvangelusE
Mar-27-2014, 14:11
I also did a test flight with the D 5-20 version of the HurricaneI 100oct. After I landed and parked and shut down the engine, I noticed white smoke coming from the radiator. Does this mean it was perforated? The oil temps never rose above 90 during the entire flight.

It could have been perforated. I have noticed on several occaisions in the past that, even with engine off, the DM for perforated rads cycles through the various stages and eventually you get oil over the canopy. Not that it matters once you have landed anyway.

Little_D
Mar-27-2014, 15:02
Hi gents,

happens to 109 too, but is no bug, is right!!! its like in a car after a long tour when you stop the engin, you can hear the fan runs higher even without you are in the car, to cool the engin. as the planes have no fan, you have to make it manualy.
so when you are landed and stand still, let your engin run with full open rads in idle and wait 1 minute, till the temps goes down. than quite engin.

regards

Little_D

Foul Ole Ron
Mar-27-2014, 16:32

Sounds like it was perforated. Did you accidentally over-rev it in a dive by not coarsening the prop pitch?

=FI=Murph
Mar-27-2014, 20:56
No, I kept the RPMs within a safe range-it did not start to smoke immediately after landing, either. It took a couple of minutes. I will try the tip of running at idle with the rad open and see if it helps.

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Mar-27-2014, 21:09
If you were climbing in fine pitch in the DH5-20, you will have a problem.

Fine pitch should not be used in climbs over approx. 2000 ft.

This means a very slow climb under 10,000 ft. You can improve the climb by enabling +12 boost, the aircraft should not overheat as rpms are low. You will need to close the boost cutout over 10,000 ft in a continuous climb.

Over 10,000 ft, even in coarse pitch the rpms will begin to climb as you approach Full Throttle Height, (16,250 ft) and you will need to be careful not to over rev or run at too high rpms and cause overheating.

=FI=Murph
Mar-28-2014, 01:05
Thanks Buzzsaw, your suggestions worked like a charm- good performance, no overheat and no radiator damage.