PDA

View Full Version : Sunderland bailed out, plane decided to fly itself.

Flanker15
Mar-27-2014, 05:23
I got a Sunderland to bail out at about 5000m and the plane went into a dive. After a bit the empty plane cut its engines and leveled out then throttled back up, then it went into another dive and repeated the level out again. It did this a bunch of times before eventually hitting the ground.

Artist
Mar-27-2014, 06:11
Possibly the same? bug #526 (http://tfbt.nuvturais.de/issues/526)

9./JG52 Ziegler
Mar-27-2014, 07:04
What mission was it? In Fall Rot, Kanalkampf, and Dynamo, the planes are disabled and crash once the pilot is killed or leaves the plane so that an AI cannot take over.

SoW Reddog
Mar-27-2014, 09:30
Well given that a Sunderland is non human flyable I don't see the relevance of your post Ziegler.

How many chutes came out Flanker? I'm wondering if it's possible that the crew bailed but the pilot chose to stay (something I've NEVER seen before in Cliffs).

ATAG_Colander
Mar-27-2014, 09:45
I don't see this as a bug.

Plane dives
Plane catches speed (propellers rotate because of the wind)
Plane nose comes up because of the speed
Plane looses speed (propellers rotate less because of less wind)
Rinse and repeat.

Ohms
Mar-27-2014, 09:53
I don't see this as a bug.

Plane dives
Plane catches speed (propellers rotate because of the wind)
Plane nose comes up because of the speed
Plane looses speed (propellers rotate less because of less wind)
Rinse and repeat.

+1.

9./JG52 Ziegler
Mar-27-2014, 10:17
Well given that a Sunderland is non human flyable I don't see the relevance of your post Ziegler.

How many chutes came out Flanker? I'm wondering if it's possible that the crew bailed but the pilot chose to stay (something I've NEVER seen before in Cliffs).

Yeah didn't realise he wasn't flying it. Must have been in SP mode?

Flanker15
Mar-27-2014, 18:44
Can the air resistance mess with the throttle and ailerons too?

The plane throttled down in the dive, and levled off with its ailerons and then throttled back up.

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Mar-27-2014, 19:41
I'm not going to post the excerpts now as I am working on a hotfix for issues in TF 4.3, but there are many accounts by 8th Airforce B-17 pilots of other B-17's, whose crew abandoned them, recreating this type of behaviour.

Also in fighters, there are many instances of a pilot blacking out when trying to pull out during a high speed dive, and then later regaining consciousness at the top of a zoom.

The function is that as speed is gained in the dive, and the increased airflow, trim changes in the aircraft, and in the case of the elevators, it results in the aircraft becoming effectively trimmed for a climb, therefore it pulls up out of the dive and zooms for a period of time till the speed falls off again. Then the situation repeats.

You can test this yourself, by trimming your aircraft to the neutral elevator position, then putting it into a 45 degree dive and taking your hands off the controls. In most instances, the aircraft will recover from the dive on its own.

Flanker15
Mar-27-2014, 20:23
It might be that but the level out isn't a smooth curve it looks like a conscious maneuver fast and deliberate.

It's pretty easy to repeat, all the planes do it to some degree. Just fly up high, point the plane into a dive, bail out and watch it all the way down.