PDA

View Full Version : CoD Map Tools Tutorial

MajorBorris
Jan-04-2012, 16:40
Map Tools

1) Open up the Map and make it as big as you can and pick a starting point and ending point.

2) R click the map.

3) Choose tools.

4) Choose the Protractor symbol and make it highlighted.

5) Click and hold the L mouse over starting point and drag the line to the end point, release L mouse.

6) Click and hold L mouse over the starting point again and drag line due north a little bit and release.

7) The number that is revealed is subtracted from 360 giving the bearing to target.

8) The Ruler gives distance which used with speed can give times, there's a clock on the yoke in the Ju 88.

9) The Flag makes way points that can be used with time and landmarks to reference trip progress or just waypoints.

See ya in the air

ChiefRedCloud
Jan-04-2012, 17:34
A very good tip, thanks. Is this for single and multi or one or the other?

MajorBorris
Jan-04-2012, 17:37
Either or I think:inq:

ATAG_Snapper
Jan-04-2012, 20:07
Thanks for the tip. I completely forgot about these nav tools and have never tried 'em. Will have to give 'em a go. One of these days we're gonna have weather to contend with and we'll NEED this stuff!

MajorBorris
Jan-06-2012, 15:20
hehe,:happy cool snapper

Jimbop
Jan-09-2012, 02:08
Remember that magnetic north is different to geographical north: geo N is magnetic 10° so for any geographic heading you need to follow a magnetic bearing +10°.

Dutch
Jan-10-2012, 18:35
Hello Chaps,

I just threw this lttle tutorial together having got to grips with the basics.

It's in the form of a slideshow, because for some reason, using the map tools brought video capture fps down from 30 to 3 then 2 then 1!

Weird. Anyway hope it's useful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWyIA2g4ndI

335th_GRAthos
Jan-11-2012, 05:52
THANKS! :happy

ATAG_Knuckles
Jan-11-2012, 08:16
Amazing: Had absolutely no idea we had "Tools" in that crusty ole map !

Gonna start using that

Thanks to all !!

"Gee what else dont I know ?"

Knuckles

ATAG_Bliss
Jan-11-2012, 14:57
Great stuff Dutch. :thumbsup:

MajorBorris
Jan-11-2012, 17:39
Nice job Dutch:nw:

Dutch
Jan-12-2012, 14:22
Well thanks chaps! :TYTY!:

Anyway, I had some free time today, so went on server 1 at 1.30pm GMT to see if I could test the efficacy of the map tools without too much interference from Jerry.

I deliberately went out at very low level, so as not to be able to spot any landmarks which might subconciously affect the results, and made a short video so you could see the outcome for yourselves.

I've no idea what to do once any wind factor is thrown into the equation, but maybe someone else could advise?

Enjoy the vid. The outcome is............well, you'll see!

P.S. I used the same music, because, well I've actually grown to really like it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0J3_UsEGK8&feature=youtube_gdata

ATAG_Knuckles
Jan-12-2012, 15:39
Once again: Hats off: another tool I will start to practice on, especially if we ever get dynamic weather, it will be mandatory.

Knuckles

ATAG_Bliss
Jan-12-2012, 21:04
Haha Dutch!

Sooooo close!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice video and nice music :Grin:

MajorBorris
Jan-13-2012, 18:39
Watch out!:50cal

Dutch
Jan-13-2012, 18:48
Watch out!:50cal

:uhoh

Doc
Jan-13-2012, 19:09
Who me? Pfft...I never get lost.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/41589_161609980526745_7744510_n.jpg

Uther
Mar-06-2012, 08:25
Not had a chance to try this yet. If you do it in multiplayer does the map stay marked, as it would IRL if you were marking up a map with a pencil?

Dutch
Mar-06-2012, 08:41
Not had a chance to try this yet. If you do it in multiplayer does the map stay marked, as it would IRL if you were marking up a map with a pencil?

You can click the marks on and off with the protractor button. But you have to be careful, because if you're not, the game thinks you're resetting your course and starts over.
The tools are indispensable to me now for bombing, for instance if someone else destroys a target before you get there, you can click on the tools and reset course to another target 'on the fly'. Superb additon to the game and really immersive!

Uther
Mar-06-2012, 08:48
Thanks Dutch!

Dutch
Mar-06-2012, 09:19
Sorry mate, if you meant 'do they stay there after you've closed the map and reopened it?', yes they do stay there!

Uther
Mar-06-2012, 09:27
Brilliant! I have a cunning plan for a raid...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/JG52Uther/Blackadder.jpg

LOWnSLO
Mar-06-2012, 12:13
I've no idea what to do once any wind factor is thrown into the equation, but maybe someone else could advise?

Excellent nav tute, thanks Dutch:thumbsup:.

Re what to do about winds - well that's where the "Course Setting" part of the Course Setting BombSight* comes in:Grin: - the various bits (on the real CSBS) were designed to allow the navigator to find wind speed and direction - the CSBS manual give three different methods to calculate drift. Unfortunately, it appears that the parts of the CSBS needed to determine drift are not correctly modelled so we outta luck doing it by the book. May be able to kluge up a method with what is there. Will look into it a bit further if/when wind starts to be used in scenarios.

*yes, I know, all planes without a CSBS need a method too - I'll have a think on it :cowboy