PDA

View Full Version : How To Use New AI Values?

=FI=Murph
Apr-02-2014, 11:31
The readme for 4.3 includes a section on changes to the AI to help alleviate "lawn darting". In it is included a set of values that they recommend mission builders to use for the various AI (Rookie, Veteran, etc.,). These are in the form of sets of numbers. How do I, when building a mission, assign these to the AI?
I know about customizing the AI's skill, gunnery, courage, etc., using the FMB interface, but how do I use these sets of numbers? Do they need to be added to the mission text file somewhere for each AI plane? It seems that would be very time consuming.
If there is a simple, straightforward way to do this, perhaps it could be added as a sticky here?

bolox
Apr-02-2014, 12:35
The numbers given are for the various parameters available in fmb in descending order, in the fmb menu. If you are already playing around with AI settings then carry on doing so:thumbsup: think of these figures as a rough guide, most mission builders tend to devlop their own 'favourite' settings for different circumstances.

=FI=Murph
Apr-02-2014, 13:30
Thanks. I had thought perhaps there was a way to "preset" AI settings for each of the various levels of ability, but it looks as though I still need to set each value by hand?

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Apr-02-2014, 13:50
Thanks. I had thought perhaps there was a way to "preset" AI settings for each of the various levels of ability, but it looks as though I still need to set each value by hand?

Yes, you need to set them by hand.

And you probably might want to experiment with the settings... they were created to deal with the issue of lawndarting... and may not be optimal for other situations as for example, predominantly high altitude combat. :salute:

=FI=Murph
Apr-02-2014, 15:46
I am starting with groups set to expert, and then tweaking back for the induvidual pilots. Leaders better than wingmen etc. What might need to be tweaked for high alt flying Buzzsaw? I am giving everyone good basic pilot skills, though I do know that historically RAF pilots had less training going in than their German counterparts.

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Apr-02-2014, 18:30
I am giving everyone good basic pilot skills, though I do know that historically RAF pilots had less training going in than their German counterparts.

Not correct, there were many RAF Squadrons which included pilots with over 5 years experience.

However, in my experience, the skill levels required to make a competitive AI pilot flying an aircraft which uses predominantly turn style tactics are lower than what is required to make a competitive AI pilot flying an aircraft which uses predominantly energy style tactics. This is not as noticeable in TF 4.3 than it was in early versions of the mod, but it is still there. :salute: